FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Do you know who made this Tiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Do you know who made this Tiki?
carlsharp

Posted: 2014-01-28 11:11 am   Permalink

Hello I'm new to tiki culture so I do not yet recognise the look or style of individual artists. I recently found this on Cragslist and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to the origin.
Thanks for the help..

View Profile of carlsharp Send a personal message to carlsharp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 11:31 am   Permalink

A Wayne Coombs knock-off who popularized the dreaded "Grinning Tooth / Pineapple Head" style.

Is it listed in Florida ?

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2014-01-28 11:33 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 2:45 pm   Permalink

It looks like the mass produced tikis that were available at home improvement stores about five or so years ago.
Homedepot shows one online (discontinued) that is from Backyard Xscapes.
Likely made in Indonesia.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 2:48 pm   Permalink

Also, it probably arrived in the states with a couple hundred twins. Not identical.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 3:49 pm   Permalink

Eric is right, so we will just say "HomeDepot"
instead of the nameless slave carvers of Indonesia...

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-28 4:31 pm   Permalink

"Wayne Coombs knock-off who popularized the dreaded "Grinning Tooth / Pineapple Head" style."

Wayne sez...

Wayne was Awesome!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 4:46 pm   Permalink

He was indeed, a real character - but he was a 70s carver who used three basic designs, the pineapple head being one of them, and he was widely copied, so that his grinning Tikis seemed to be everywhere in Florida and beyond. Now even in Indonesia it seems.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-28 7:17 pm   Permalink

All true.
But I could not resist.

my dream now is to flip someone off from beyond the grave.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlsharp

Posted: 2014-01-29 7:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the replies. It was posted on the Inland Empire, CA, CL and was located in Crestline, CA.

Irregardless of it's possible mass-market pedigree, I really like it, especially for $40. The weathering makes it all the better...

View Profile of carlsharp Send a personal message to carlsharp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-29 10:20 pm   Permalink

Look further. If you continue this route, a year or two down the line, you'll disown it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 04:24 am   Permalink

Hind sight is 20 20, but Bro,
your forecast is priceless.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 09:39 am   Permalink

That was the first tiki I ever purchased & it's still in my back yard. Admittedly, I'm embarrassed to have it now, especially since I'm one of the stops in the San Diego tiki crawl... I have another tiki that my neighbor gave me from TJ that's even worse...

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 6:11 pm   Permalink

That tiki could be saved.
Buy it for 40, then with a chainsaw, cut off the damn pineapple right at the top of the headband.
Then chisel the teeth down to just an inch or two, so it would have a wide open mouth rather than the current 'florida teeth' .
Lastly, sand off any white paint remaining on the teeth, and also the eyes.
Wouldn't be so bad then.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlsharp

Posted: 2014-01-30 10:41 pm   Permalink

If a year or two down the line means I'll be so jaded that I won't still feel the thrill of finding hidden gems and will stop collecting things that I like because they don't have the proper look or maker then no thanks.

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-30 10:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-30 22:41, carlsharp wrote:
If a year or two down the line means I'll be so jaded that I won't still feel the thrill of finding hidden gems and will stop collecting things that I like because they don't have the proper look or maker then no thanks.

Actually what I think was the gist of that comment towards your tiki find was....

When we ALL first started to collect tiki we got excited about things that, as our collection increased and our knowledge increased and our exposure to so many amazing tiki artists in our community increased, we can look back and say "Wow, I could never imagine being that excited about finding that item TODAY as I was back then"

No one is giving you a hard time about liking what you like or being stoked to find an item for a good price that you feel was a great score.

Just wait until a few years from now when your collection has morphed and changed and grown and if you happen upon this post you will see how some perspective and time has changed the way you feel.

This is a tiki community--you like tiki carvings. The one you posted is good but have you seen Bosko or Benzart or TikiBeat's tikis? Check out the Tiki Carving thread. Spend a few hours on there. Go back as far as you can. Be prepared to be in awe.

Enjoy what you enjoy. Love what you love. But there is even better stuff out there....you will see

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation