advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Front door
Front door
cincitikitiki

Posted: 2014-01-28 7:06 pm   Permalink

This is the front door to a house I bought in April. Been searching the internet for info on this style and finally found this site. Tiki or no tiki? House was built in 1969 by a doctor who had spent time in Japan after WWII.

View Profile of cincitikitiki Send a personal message to cincitikitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-28 7:38 pm   Permalink

It looks Malaysian or Indonesian in origin.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-29 06:38 am   Permalink

Very cool door! I can't help you with ideas on the style, but I am curious to know what its made of. Looks like aged bronze, and doesn't show any signs of aging, it just looks great.

I'll also be looking for responses from others on what that style is. I've seen stuff similar to it here-and-there in various cities, on other works of art, maybe even on stuff in some museums.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cincitikitiki

Posted: 2014-01-31 6:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks. Sorry to disappoint, Ace. It's just some sort of painted (brown) resin as best I can tell. The door itself is about 3.5" thick. The carved design makes up about 3/4" of that. Here are more pics. Note the peep hole and door "knobs". The knobs are really just pulls. They do not latch. Only the small lock keeps the door closed.

View Profile of cincitikitiki Send a personal message to cincitikitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-01 06:39 am   Permalink

Not a disappointment at all, cincitikitiki! I appreciate the extra info, its very interesting. Makes me wonder if only a small number of carvings were done, then molds were made, and then replicated and assembled into the much larger doors.

I'm sure this is good food for thought for some artists here on TC. It could inspire some future work(s).

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-01 10:25 am   Permalink

These doors are very cool! Tiki or not. I would be proud to sport those doors at my home .

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-03 8:36 pm   Permalink

I agree those doors make quite a statement in your entryway. Obviously substantial in build and awesome in design. Very nice, thanks for sharing them.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-03 9:11 pm   Permalink

Beautiful doors, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation