FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki help to save bahooka's mascot, rufus~~~
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
help to save bahooka's mascot, rufus~~~
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 12:50 am   Permalink

That was my concern also, Vamp & swizzle is 100% correct on how to move Rufus
to his to new home.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 08:49 am   Permalink

Sven posted on Facebook about Rufus needing a new home. There are quite a few people that have asked for help in relocating him.
Polynesiac hasn't posted on TC since December, but I thought he worked at the Cabrillo Aquarium in San Pedro.
Because of the issues with moving Rufus I think the Aquarium of the Pacific or the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium would be the best and most knowledgeable. Moving him will be expensive.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-05 09:01 am   Permalink

Call the local news station or paper to do a tear jerk story about this.
He will have a home soon after.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 09:09 am   Permalink

I agree with TikiSkip. Didn't Rufus once share a scene with Johnny Depp? That's gotta help this be a public interest story for the local news.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 11:31 am   Permalink

I have a couple of contacts at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach provided to me by a good friend. I am reaching out to them today to see where to direct inquiries about any interest in them adopting Rufus. I haven't seen anyone else say they'd actually reached out to the Aquarium yet, but let me know if there is someone else doing this as well.
Ryan

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Onyx_Noir
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-05 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-05 11:31, finky099 wrote:
I have a couple of contacts at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach provided to me by a good friend. I am reaching out to them today to see where to direct inquiries about any interest in them adopting Rufus. I haven't seen anyone else say they'd actually reached out to the Aquarium yet, but let me know if there is someone else doing this as well.
Ryan

I already reached out to them. Unfortunately, they are salt water and Rufus is fresh water, the Aquarium can't help

View Profile of Onyx_Noir Send a personal message to Onyx_Noir  Email Onyx_Noir     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 3:05 pm   Permalink

tikiskip that is a great idea! I have not heard back from the folks
I contacted, so nothing solid yet, I hope Thor's efforts are bearing more fruit.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-05 4:29 pm   Permalink

Taking this fish is A LOT of work.
Before AND after you get it, you will need a person or Place
with deep pockets and time to care for this fish.
An Aquarium would be the best place.
But hey some fat cat or actor will do.
Just think of trying to clean that tank!
When you have owned a restaurant in everything you do after
you will think how am I going to clean it.
Heck Johnny Depp may want the thing.
If I were him I would have a whole house built for this fish.
I think Tracy Morgan (comedian) has lots of weird animals.
Your guy is out there and the news will find him or her.

It's a cool fish!
All will work out.
Thank god I don't live there or my wife would have that fish commin to our house.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 4:51 pm   Permalink

Doesn't someone on this forum know Quentin Tarantino?

If I could afford a giant Piranha..(or whatever he is), I would take him.

I wonder if the shock of moving him finally does the old boy in? If he is on his last fins, go dump him in one of those stocked lakes like Irvine or Anaheim lake for one last hurrah...and all you can eat buffett!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-05 5:09 pm   Permalink

Looks like you can FexEx HUGE fish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7OPPZib1Ao

"I wonder if the shock of moving him finally does the old boy in?"
I don't think they are That fragile, My coy are not that hard to move and one is over one foot long.
Look at this cluster F&#$.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo2SO5U-YrU

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2014-02-05 17:11 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 5:15 pm   Permalink

Well Johnny Depp currently resides in Paris, France
so that's not going to happen, my first thought when all of this started was
"Can Rufus survive the shock of a move?"

swizzle's info above was spot on on how that would happen, though
realistically at this time it looks like an individual will need to step up
and take Rufus, I don't think any Tiki establishments will take on the responsibility
of caring for Rufus at this time.

Since no one else has answered the previous question: Rufus is a 34-pound South American Pacu around 38 years old now.
here is an old LA Times article about him:
http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jul/16/magazine/tm-53665

Edit: Thanks Lori!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-02-05 19:37 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-05 5:24 pm   Permalink

Dam, looks like they can live up to 20 years.
South American Pacu here's all you need to know...
http://www.firsttankguide.net/pacu.php

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2014-02-05 17:28 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-05 5:38 pm   Permalink

Looks like San Francisco's famous Steinhart Aquarium took these fish.
"maintenance was grueling"

"Read this story about the enormous tank size requirements for Pacus
I bought two red belly pacus back in 1993, when they were only the size of a half dollar coin. Not doing any research on these two fish, I bought them because I enjoyed their manner in appearance, the way they fed, and their "unaggressiveness"; however, as they slowly grew in size, despite their small size, all of my small connunity fish became their dinner. Years later, (around Sept. 1999) reluctantly, I gave them up. They were still surviving in a 200 liter tank, with crystal clear water flowing endlessly, as they stayed by the bottom of the tank, moving slowly about, and only during feeding time did they briskly move their now 50 cm long, close to 6 kg bodies about. These two beautiful fish were like family members; the maintenance was grueling, but more importantly, I loved them, and could no longer subject them to such confining living space. Living only some 56 km southeast from San Francisco's famous Steinhart Aquarium, I finally got a commitment from the staff that they would keep my fish, instead of "utilizing them as fish feed". My pacus were initially placed in a 2000 liter holding/quarantine tank, making sure they did not harbour any parasites or diseases that could infect other members of the amazon-type setting they would eventually be placed. Finally, my two pacus were placed in a 50,000 liter amazon type pool, along with several larger pacus, caymen, large tortoises, eels, and other amazon type fish. On several occasions I visited them, and they grew even larger (twice their size). Interestingly, I was always able to recognize them (they were lighter in colour) and believe it, or not, I would gently tap on the glass, and "call" out to them: "Hey guys, how are you doing?", and as they had done hundreds of times when I had them at home with me, they would swim where I was, and stay by me, as if saying: "We are fine, now are you going to be feeding us?"

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-05 5:39 pm   Permalink

Rufus is illegedly older than I am. Hope he finds a home...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 5:48 pm   Permalink

The article was written in 2000 when Rufus was 24. Its now 2014 which would make him 38.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation