FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Don Tiki has Exotic instruments for sale!
Don Tiki has Exotic instruments for sale!
Fluid Floyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-04 12:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Don Tiki has some authentic and spectacular instruments from Southeast Asia for sale. We went to great lengths to research, find and import them from Myanmar for recording and live performances. The instruments are all playable, very ornate and look beautiful on stage with the appropriate lighting. The 4 instruments we're selling are:

1. Pattalar $1500
The Bamboo Xylophone, or Pattalar as it is known in Myanmar, is an ancient musical instrument with the sound box underneath.
It can produce melodious and unique sounds to the ears.

2. Burmese Harp $1500
This highly decorative arched harp, formerly associated with the Buddhist dynasties that ruled Burma for centuries,
is the national instrument of Myanmar.

3. Circle of Gongs $2000
The brass gong circle or kyei waing has 18 or 19 brass gongs in a circle similar to the drum circle.
The player sits in the center of the gongs which have gorgeous gold leaf + mirrored outer panels.
Its sound is more melodious than the sound of framed gongs.

4. Circle of Drums $2000
The drum circle (sain wain) is made up of 18 to 24 graduated drums slung from slats which form a circle.
The sound of the drums is distinct, loud, accurate and resonant. Same gold leaf + mirrored outer panels.

We prefer to sell the lot for $5000 total, but are willing to sell instruments individually as priced above.
Packing and shipping is additional.

Mahalo in advance,
Fluid Floyd

TABOO, Inc.
808-735-4333
www.dontiki.com

View Profile of Fluid Floyd Send a personal message to Fluid Floyd  Email Fluid Floyd Goto the website of Fluid Floyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-04 1:02 pm   Permalink

Damn! If I had the money, I would be all over these items!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrFab
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-04 3:08 pm   Permalink

Crazy - was just listening to an album of Burmese music last week. Is a sam waing the same as a Pat Waing?

View Profile of MrFab Send a personal message to MrFab  Goto the website of MrFab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fluid Floyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-04 7:12 pm   Permalink

Think so, but honestly not sure. Maybe it's like Samsung vs Sony, same product but different spin?
I got the info here:
http://fascinatingmyanmar.info/cultureandarts/musicalinstruments/musicalinstruments_drum_ensemble.html
Cheers~ FF

View Profile of Fluid Floyd Send a personal message to Fluid Floyd  Email Fluid Floyd Goto the website of Fluid Floyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-04 7:50 pm   Permalink

The Gamelan you have there is crazy-cool! I am not sure if they are tuned to a western scale or not, but just to have one as a very expensive conversation piece....wow!

I own a few exotic instruments as well, and have recorded with them....including an Erhu, which I ended up giving to Tiki Bong....I also have many middle eastern reed pipes, like little primitive clarinets...I think one is called a "sipsi".....plus a shit load of percussion instruments.....my absolute favorite, though, are my Bansuri (Bamboo flutes) and my greatest shame was when i left my Tablas (which were medium quality, but still expensive) out in the garage during a santa ana winds event...and the dry wind busted the heads on both of them. I really enjoy all the stuff I have....

But it is nothing compared to your collection.......

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2014-02-04 19:54 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 12:20 pm   Permalink

Man, all those look wonderful and I'm sure they sound just as cool as they look.

I just need to win the lottery now!!

Good luck with the sale!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
socksoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 11:03 pm   Permalink

i know someone that collects exotic instruments and will pass the note along- hopefully, he can take these off your hands.

will give you a shout soon

View Profile of socksoff Send a personal message to socksoff      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fluid Floyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-06 11:58 am   Permalink

Mahalos, Socksoff! Here's my email if they need more info or want to contact me directly:
lkandell@hawaii.rr.com
Aloha, FF

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation