Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Easter Island documentary on the BBC
Easter Island documentary on the BBC
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-04 1:21 pm   Permalink

So did anyone see the documentary on the BBC 4 last week all about new theories on the demise of the Rapa Nui on Easter island,Very informative and makes me want see the place even more, But its a long way from England!, Not sure if American viewers can see it on the world service

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 04:34 am   Permalink

I watched it last night. Bloody good program, it makes me want to visit Rapa Nui even more.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2014-02-05 04:35 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-06 2:33 pm   Permalink

Just watched it on catch up - good program, it presented some more views I hadn't heard yet!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 6:09 pm   Permalink

Love to have the title and other pertinent facts like the host or writer. For you readers out there (not viewers) I recommend reading "Statues that Walk" (2012) by Terry Hunt and Carl Lipo. Although somewhat associated with the Nova/National Geographic documentary titled: "Mystery of Easter Island" (2012). Both media involve Hunt & Lipo (book as writers, doc. as subject matter) but ironically the "Mystery of Easter Island" documentary is all about statues (moai) that walk while the book devotes only one and a half chapters to the "walking moai" theory and the rest of the book, especially chapter 9, "The Collapse" which briefly but powerfully educates us readers of the tragic Rapa Nui relationship with the west over the last couple of centuries. I wonder if the BBC doc. is about this sad history. "Statues that Walk" to me is a must read for anybody interested Rapa Nui.

FYI I'm a natural viewer but I have to read the books to at least pretend I have a somewhat knowledgeable background.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-02-06 18:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-02-06 18:17 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 07:35 am   Permalink

Can't seem to make it play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01q9wjs

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 6:27 pm   Permalink

I can't play it either. But from the looks of the 3 clips it's a BBC documentary on the same Hunt and Lipo. Just don't know what subject they cover besides the walking moai. Love to see the whole doc. I guess us Yanks have to wait awhile before the BBC offers it on DVD. Ummmmph! I'm impatient as a young child. Ask my wife.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-02-07 18:33 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 6:33 pm   Permalink

Downloading it now. Thanks for the tip.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 10:37 pm   Permalink

And of course there's this...

www.bigstonehead.com

(there's only seven of the tiki mugs left for sale, world-wide!)

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-08 02:47 am   Permalink

Its been repeated a couple of times if anyone missed it.

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 10:27 pm   Permalink

Watched it a few nights ago. The thesis makes sense. Nice to see the Rapa Nui having a voice. Would have loved to see more on the Moai, but good doc for sure.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation