[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Rum Knife! - Khukri XXX Rum from Nepal
Rum Knife! - Khukri XXX Rum from Nepal
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-14 11:31 am   Permalink

Aloha!

My Wife just returned from an extended trip in Nepal, and she brought back this amazing gift for me:

A bottle of Nepalese rum in the shape of a traditional kukri knife (commonly known as a gurkha knife) - simply amazing! I was delighted (to say the least), but just as I was inwardly thinking "this bottle is so amazing, I can't ever drink from it" she produced a second "standard" bottle for actual consumption!

The glass has a Nepalese seal embossed on it (note the crossed kukri knives) - it was a bit tricky to photograph

and a date on the top (of when the distillery was founded)

Haven't tried it yet - but it has a strong oakish aroma. My wife had some in Nepal and she said it had a chocolate flavor. Will provide tasting notes soon! The standard bottle is now on my run shed, and the fancy-pants knife bottle has joined my modest tiki mug collection (never to be opened)

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2014-02-14 11:32 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 11:42 am   Permalink

Very interesting! What a cool bottle. Nice gift!

Enjoy your tasting.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-14 11:46 am   Permalink

I have a bottle of that same rum, also in the knife bottle. I have had it for years, but have never opened it, for exactly the same reason. I will be very interested to hear your opinion of the rum, should you decide to open your non-knife shaped bottle.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 1:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-14 11:31, VanTiki wrote:
A bottle of Nepalese rum in the shape of a traditional kukri knife (commonly known as a gurkha knife) - simply amazing!

sorry, i'm gonna have to call any rum-filled knife, a "FogCutter..."

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-14 11:31, VanTiki wrote:
My Wife just returned from an extended trip in Nepal, and she brought back this amazing gift for me:

You should marry that woman!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 4:23 pm   Permalink

The Khukri rum is actually pretty tasty stuff. Found a dusty bottle in a SW Florida liquor store a few years ago a d bought it. The rum was definitely on the rich and sweet side and me and a rum enthisiast friend made fairly short work of it.

Also found a bottle of Old Monk rum from India i. The same store. I had read that was the single best selling rum in the world so I bought that as well. Horrid, syrupy chemical stuff, still have most of that bottle left.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-15 03:33 am   Permalink

Khukri is a solid dark rum. A little on the sweet/molassesy side but I really enjoyed it. Good in a Mai Tai as well.

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-17 11:20 am   Permalink

Made a dark and stormy the inter night from the bottle (the knife shall never be opened!), and it is indeed quite yummy! Smooth, somewhat sweet, and quite enjoyable. I found it smooth and "smokey-oakey" (that is a technical term - means it tasted like smoked oak ), and Ms. VanTiki swears it has a chocolate finish. It is going to be a challenge to only use this rum for special occasions - it is so yummy!

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2014-02-17 11:20 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation