[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Writing Critique Needed
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Writing Critique Needed
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-14 11:33 pm   Permalink

I want to slip these into my wedding invitations. Whaddayathink?

Neither Teresa nor my daughter Jenna know I slipped this in the invitation as they would think it's uncouth. But I'm old and crotchety, I think I can get away with it.
RSVP - I know people don't like to RSVP, they don't want to commit because they think the might get a better offer at the last minute. But the caterer needs a headcount so if you don't RSVP you won't get a meal. You can send back the card that I have been so kind to stamp for you or you can email me at
xxxx@xxxxxxx.com
Church Seating - We have invited 200 people and the church seats about 180. I suggest you show up early or wear comfortable standing shoes. Also, the ceremony will be short and sweet. Don't show up 50 minutes late and expect to see me kiss the bride.
Kids - Please leave your children at home so that you and the other guests can enjoy the evening.
Gifts - Teresa and I have each spent the last 30+ year collecting stuff, we don't need another set of Target mixing bowls. Enjoying your company on our special evening is gift enough. However, if you feel you have to, there will be a box provided for any gifts which will fit into an envelope
Thank you,
Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 11:36 pm   Permalink

I concur!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-15 07:06 am   Permalink

In a perfect world, Mike, you probably would never have to even ask these things...but I guarantee ALL of these things will happen, especially kids coming...and crying and then acting up with their parent's doing nothing to stop it. I have played at countless weddings, and have seen it time and time again. People filming the actual ceremony, the flowers, the lights, everything perfect...and the kid wailing away in the back ground. It happens.

By warning people up front to conduct themselves in the proper manner...it may result in some people just deciding not to come, and you having a small wedding...if you are cool with that, go for it!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-15 11:25 am   Permalink

Great idea but it does make it seem that you’re "old an crotchety” Most of us know better!
Wish you and the lucky lady much happiness.
David and CeCe

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-15 12:58 pm   Permalink

"I want to slip these into my wedding invitations."

"Neither Teresa nor my daughter Jenna know I slipped this in the invitation as they would think it's uncouth."

Are you thinking of doing this?
Or have you already done it?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-18 08:40 am   Permalink

Skip, I haven't done it yet - I'm trying to decide if I can get away with it

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 10:34 am   Permalink

What the heck? You'll only lose the friends that are uncool and get a standing ovation from the ones you like!

GO FOR THE GOLD!

And if crotchety means not crying while the minister talks about responsibilities, obviously the crotchetier the better!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-18 10:58 am   Permalink

You have only heard from men so far.
Weddings are of the ladies world.
Men just show up, and try not to f up!

So... you need to ask at least 7 ladies about this.
I think you will get a majority of horrified don't do its.
As for me I too would say don't do it, I agree with you, but it would do more harm than good.

And you are going to start your new life with your new wife with a cloud
of I don't know, not good.

you should be able to share and agree on most things with her, And this is a big one in the
world of the ladies.

Good luck.
And congrats!!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-18 11:39 am   Permalink

Thanks for your thoughts and well wishes.
Skip, weddings are definitely a woman's realm. I suggested that since she got to pick out the wedding dress and the bridesmaids dresses, I should take my groomsmen and pick out our attire. And she wouldn't see them until she walked down the aisle. My son suggested tophat and tails with shorts and flip-flops. My fiancee suggested that it might be a cold and lonely honeymoon if I did

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 1:15 pm   Permalink

Whatever you decide, suit up & look your best!
no beach flops!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 1:29 pm   Permalink

ATP and I are both troll sociopaths and now sadists to boot, but both of us have been in long term relationships and know the right things to do to keep them that way. ATP makes the most awesome dinners for his honey, and I, Lucas the sociopath just do everything my gal and daughter tell me to do, when they want me to do it, 100% of the time.

When it comes to weddings, women need to call the shots. It is my theory (and also because I am a hardcore supporter of feminism) that women are generally smarter then us dudes, usually make better style decisions...and we as men are just better off listening to them....

no shorts, no flip flops, no "instructions" slipped into the wedding invites. MDM, if she wants you to wear a white tux and sing the theme from MASH at her wedding, just do it!

And thank me later~

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-18 1:35 pm   Permalink

I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Edit the gifts section to read, "In lieu of gifts please donate to the charity of your choice" or something like that.

It's a wedding with a set time as is stated on your invitation. If they can't get to the church on time than they're SOL. There is no need to include anything in your note about that.

Instead of leave your children at home you could include something like "Due to limited venue space, Adults only please”. I took that from an etiquette website.

Including your email address in addition to the stamped reply envelope should be good enough. I suppose you could even create an Evite if people don't want to go to the trouble of sending an email or going to a mailbox.
www.evite.com

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 1:37 pm   Permalink

Just in case, here are the lyrics for the MASH theme song

Johnny Mandel – Suicide Is Painless

Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be
The pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see

That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take or leave it if I please

I try to find a way to make
All our little joys relate
Without that ever-present hate
But now I know that it's too late, and

That suicide is painless

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
So this is all I have to say

That suicide is painless

The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat
And to another give my seat
For that's the only painless feat

That suicide is painless

The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger watch it grin, but

That suicide is painless

A brave man once requested me
To answer questions that are key
Is it to be or not to be
And I replied 'Oh, why ask me?'

That suicide is painless

'Cause suicide is painless

And you can do the same thing if you please

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 1:38 pm   Permalink

Lori has some good thoughts, maybe we should let her stick around for a bit

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-18 6:44 pm   Permalink

I was married for 30 years, long enough to know any power a man perceives to have in a marriage is an illusion

Yes I will do what I am supposed to do like a good little puppet king of my domain. I was just kidding about the insert

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation