FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Pehea Ka Kamaluhia Tiki bar build
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Pehea Ka Kamaluhia Tiki bar build
Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-28 9:44 pm   Permalink

So, we decided on a basic black mosaic tile for the rest of the bar.
I think it will look good once all laid out on tie top. 😊

Just have to get the final measure to get the bartop cut then were good to go!

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

View Profile of Flying martini Send a personal message to Flying martini      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-01 12:49 am   Permalink

Tiles look cool against the black. I hear you got the cane bar stools from the rockabilly couple who are also creating a tiki bar. Now everyone join in,.....It's a small world after all.......etc.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-01 02:56 am   Permalink

Almost forgot! Thanks Thurston!

We got these 1960's stools from a young Rockabilly couple refitting their entire house in 1950's decor. Including kitchen and bathroom. They'd bought a rattan Tiki bar, didn't have room for the four stools with it, so offloaded three to us. Their loss is our gain, I think they will work well with the bar.

I'm looking for different fifties influenced fabrics to recover chair pads. These are some I like so far.

Still trying to work out which way to go. Hubby thinks just a plain red, though he is not an artist! Lol! Would it be too 'busy' for the space?

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Flying martini 2014-03-01 02:57 ]

View Profile of Flying martini Send a personal message to Flying martini      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-01 07:35 am   Permalink

Good score on the bar stools. I am thinking how great some of Dawn's blue/green Tiki fabric would look next to your bar. Check out her fabrics @ http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/sophista-tiki

Looks like you are going to have a good blend of building and furnishing materials so pulling it all together with that gorgeous green color will make it flow well. Do you have shopping options for a chunk lamp...I sure think a green/blue one would be awesome...JMHO.

It is fun watching your bar build...have fun.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 5:50 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2014-02-28 21:44, Flying martini wrote:
So, we decided on a basic black mosaic tile for the rest of the bar.
[quote]

That does look nice, good choice, that size tiles in black looks great especially with that mural.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-01 7:29 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for your lovely comments so far! I was tossing up even signing up after seeing some of the amazing bars on here! I don't think we are in the same league, just playing around with themes and ideas hoping it will all come together OK. I wish I could carve, then I could try my hand at my own Tikis and Tiki design mouldings... I will have to stick to paint, and buy some pre carved pieces instead!

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-01 9:16 pm   Permalink

Bar top laid out (not secured yet!)

It's going to be big! Bigger than I anticipated at the start. But that is good.

Can't wait to get the tiles fixed to it, so we can see the effect.

Will post more pics after a bit more progress.

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred
Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Flying martini 2014-03-01 21:19 ]

Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-01 10:50 pm   Permalink

Just a few more pics, of the Tiki masks I just ordered to mount on square canvasses painted red (they will be mounted on a diagonal, creating a diamond background for the Tiki's)

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-05 2:52 pm   Permalink

I found this fab sculpture, supposed to be 1950's, but not sure. It was a great price, so don't really mind!

Flying Martini
Shaken, not stirred!
Out!

Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-10 12:02 am   Permalink

Well, we have put the bar top on. Looking more like a bar now!

Tiling is done, just waiting for adhesive to dry, get some moulding around the edge then we can grout the tiles. Most likely will be in black also.

Then I can start dressing it! The Tiki masks are on the way, and trying to decide on a design to paint around the moulding.

Flying Martini, out!

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-11 09:48 am   Permalink

Looking good, like how it opens up into the yard which also looks nice.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-11 11:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-11 09:48, dtel wrote:
Looking good, like how it opens up into the yard which also looks nice.

Thanks! I love our little yard. Nice garden out there, very relaxing space. There are roll up cafe shade blinds along that whole section of deck, we can open up to let the garden in, or shut off completely in bad/cold weather for protection from much of the elements.

Can't wait to get it all finished now, I just want to be able to go out and relax at the bar with a margarita!

Flying Martini,
Shaken, not stirred
Out!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 7:44 pm   Permalink

Lookin good

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-16 03:26 am   Permalink

Well, we have the timber for the bar moulding. I was going to attempt to paint a design on it, but we thought we'd try doing the design with a router (thanks Tikispeer for current inspiration!)

this is the first one, not bad for a first effort on Hubby's part.

Not quite sure what to do with it after, most likely staining with a darker stain, then lacquering.

Anyhow, slowly getting there. Makes it a bit harder when we both work full time, plus have a near 3 year old running us off our feet!

Got these silly, kitschy flamingo garden lights today too. Guardians of the bar! lol!

Flying Martini,
Out!

Flying martini
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-16 03:57 am   Permalink

Been a while, full time work and a few weeks of bad weather slowed up progress for a bit!

We are nearly finished, Hubby finished putting the bamboo on, just have to get the Tiki masks on now, should be in next couple days.

This is the fabric on order to recover the bar stools

Now just to do some study....

Happy Tiki Easter!

Flying Martini,
Out!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation