FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Aku Aku Orlando , Orlando, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Aku Aku Orlando , Orlando, FL (restaurant)
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 3:59 pm   Permalink

Name:Aku Aku Orlando
Type:restaurant
Street:
City:Orlando
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Anyone been here yet? It just opened recently.

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 5:46 pm   Permalink

Looks interesting.

http://bungalower.com/2014/02/aku-aku-tiki-bar-opens-thornton-park/

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 6:21 pm   Permalink

the pics look good...ill have to try it out!

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMugCollectors
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-04 09:44 am   Permalink

I stopped by this past weekend. The owners did a really good job. Although the place is very small they did a nice job maximizing the space. It is the real deal too...tons of great artwork, classic 40's-era tropical drinks served in ceramic mugs, exotica music and the theme is spot on! The location is prime as it is off the beaten path of downtown Orlando next to Lake Eola Park. I will be frequenting this spot almost every night I go out on the town. It is great that Florida has a new tiki place (and that it is only a few blocks from my house is even better)! I'll try to post pictures this weekend. I'm having a birthday get together there on Saturday night!

View Profile of TikiMugCollectors Send a personal message to TikiMugCollectors  Goto the website of TikiMugCollectors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 4:54 pm   Permalink

http://www.akuakutiki.com/

Looks like a trip north to Orlando is in my future.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1of42
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-26 8:58 pm   Permalink

This place is great! Went when they first opened, they've been adding more decor and drinks since then.

Shared a volcano bowl with some friends, was tasty:

View Profile of 1of42 Send a personal message to 1of42      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-07 03:27 am   Permalink

We visted Aku Aku for the 1st time last night. A VERY nice surprise for a small space concerning décor & vibe. Its was early in the evening & not very crowded. The bartender on duty JOE was very welcoming & quality of drinks was great. If you want a little Tiki spice in your life try their TigerF drink. Mentioned Brad Parker who had been there recently for his mug reveal & Joe brought over three of his mugs to show us and left them on our table during the visit. Aku will definitely be a repeat for us.

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-10 09:00 am   Permalink

a tiki I sold to them....

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
enhill73

Posted: 2015-02-13 11:45 am   Permalink

My experience with this bar hasn't been as pleasant as some describe above. I've been there twice and both times the drinks were terrible. WAY too sweet and just poorly made. I'm no Don Beach, but I feel like the drinks are really lacking. This happens at a lot of bars, but the consistencies in the drinks are very hit and miss, mostly miss. I was with a group of friends both times I went there. Me and another person order a Zombie and mine was super sweet and his was really strong and not in a good way. I'm one for a stiff drink, but this was not enjoyable. However the decor and vibe of the place is fantastic. It has the feel of a legit Tiki bar, but the drinks are not. I live right outside Orlando and I'm in no way trying to bash them. I would love for them to work out the kinks and put out good drinks, but since the 2nd time I went I haven't been back.

Maybe that's the reason for the positive comments above. I guess I need to go back and give them a 3rd chance.

View Profile of enhill73 Send a personal message to enhill73      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-13 12:55 pm   Permalink

The drinks are going to be really variable until they get away from the free-pour mentality. You just can't make a balanced tiki drink without carefully measuring all the ingredients. At least they err on the side of more booze than less! I usually stick with their version of a dark and stormy.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-02-13 1:01 pm   Permalink

Great follow-up, TikiHardBop! I didn't think of that, but instead, was wondering if the bar staff was new and inexperienced. But maybe the bulk of their bartending experience is from the common free-pour places where 99.99% of US bartenders come from. A tiki bar needs bartenders with a craft understanding, a craft mentality, and the desire and time and support to consistently do it right. Tiki bartenders need pride in craftsmanship. Maybe we'll run into Todd there and get a chance to ask for his take? Great place though, atmosphere wise, as was said earlier. I need to go back -- I hear another Tiger F****r calling my name!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Koro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-18 04:19 am   Permalink

When I went and asked for a Navy Grog (not on the menu), the bartender said he had no idea what that was.

View Profile of Tiki_Koro Send a personal message to Tiki_Koro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-02-18 05:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-02-18 04:19, Tiki_Koro wrote:
When I went and asked for a Navy Grog (not on the menu), the bartender said he had no idea what that was.

Tiki_Koro

Tiki_Koro - uhh, is that really what you want your FIRST post here on Tiki Central to be - a snarky remark about a bartender at a real tiki bar where they work very hard to do a lot of things right and which continues to work very hard to fly in the face of all the crappy drivel you can get at all the other non-tiki bars? Really?

So, as butthurt and disgusted as you seem to have been with his total and complete incompetence, I know you at least helped him out by providing the recipe? And, soon thereafter, I am expecting that you did engage him in some conversation about the many other things which he does know how to make, and for which others enjoy going to that bar? And then you also asked him about some of their local specialty drinks which they are proud to serve, and then you even explored their other "secret" drinks which are not on the menu?

Sheesh... It's soooo easy to talk trash. I'm guessing you are either a shill for another bar (therefore the trash talk) or you made a pass at one of the bartenders and then got seriously laughed at, and rejected. There must be a bigger story here unless you're just seriously ignorant.

It's early in the morning, so please pardon the sarcasm. But I definitely want to point out that I think this is a crappy first post for a new TC member who hasn't yet introduced him/herself on the Introductions thread. Looks to me like an intentional effort to tarnish the Aku Aku which many others find a lot of good things to say about. Sure, they use single-ply toilet paper in the restroom, but my mommy taught me a long time ago to double-up in those dangerous situations, so I'm ok with it.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Koro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-19 05:01 am   Permalink

Sorry for not following your unwritten protocol for posting on this forum. I didn't know I had to prove anything before offering a comment. If these forums are unfriendly to new members, then I'll stay off them and continue to merely observe.

I've been lurking on this forum for years now and only just signed up to post because, yes, I had a disappointing time at Aku Aku, and I seem to be the only one willing to notice the emporer is wearing no clothes, at least the night I visited a month ago. The full story goes like this: I went on a Tuesday and ordered a Fu Manchu, the drink of the night. It was very tasty, not at all similar to the recipe in Beachbum Remixed, but a solid drink on its own merits. Then, I decided to test the bartender on his tiki knowledge by ordering a very standard drink. The bartender said, "Navy Gron? No, we don't do that. Here's the menu of what we make." So, I ordered a Mai Tai and was given pretty much Myer's dark on the rocks. No, I didn't have a conversation with the bartender because he and the other bartender were too busy geeking out over some new products they had just received - fennel crystals and an edible flower that tastes like cucumber. That's a snapshot of my experience. I'll be pleasantly surprised to return and have a totally different experience, but probably not anytime soon.

View Profile of Tiki_Koro Send a personal message to Tiki_Koro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-19 05:38 am   Permalink

Remember when Tiki Central was all about the Tiki?
I kind of miss those days......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation