FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki Bob Art Show at Tonga Hut NoHo Sunday, March 23rd!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Bob Art Show at Tonga Hut NoHo Sunday, March 23rd!
tonga hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 8:10 pm   Permalink

Tonga Hut
L.A.'s Oldest Tiki Bar Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
Avail. for Special Events @ the Hut or Location
www.tongahut.com

View Profile of tonga hut Send a personal message to tonga hut  Email tonga hut Goto the website of tonga hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-16 12:37 pm   Permalink

Hoping I will get two one off mugs completed for the show, either way I will be attending. Looking forward to more interpretations of the classic Bob and to seeing folks, as it is likely my last Tonga Hut show before moving.
Here is what i have thus far on greenware, progress on a PNG inspired Bob

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-17 8:18 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to seeing the band

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-18 12:18 am   Permalink

Yes we know.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2014-03-18 12:19 am   Permalink

Cass, what's this about you moving? Hope you get your stuff done in time for the show. I can fire for you if Ceramic Castle can't.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2014-03-18 00:21 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2014-03-18 12:22 pm   Permalink

Wasted a day yesterday driving to orange county to get some clay and supplies and then trying to make the main piece for the show. Apparently I need another pair of hands to help make it, but my roommate is out of town, so I all I did was make a mess and wasted more time cleaning it up. So yesterday was a wash, and now I really have to bust butt to finish what I do have by this weekend. Lots of glazing and firing this week. Down to the wire as usual-- Dammitall.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-18 1:41 pm   Permalink

Hey Cass! Your piece looks great! Hope you can finish it in time!

Oh no Grog! Sorry to hear about your ceramic troubles! Hope you can get your piece finished in time... you still have a few days, I'm sure have something up your sleeve that you can pull out of your hat! Wait, do cavemen wear clothes? And did I just mangle a metaphor?

I'm waiting for my final pieces to pick up, I'll post when I've got 'em... and Ceramic Castle's kilns are on the blink, so fingers crossed I'll have stuff to show too!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2014-03-18 1:49 pm   Permalink

I'll be firing a few times before Sunday, so let me know if you need something fired, and I'll see if I can fit it in.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-18 9:23 pm   Permalink

Found this about the band on the Net:

The debut performance of The New Caledonians!!

Who are The New Caledonians? No one knows for sure...it's a rag-tag brotherhood of musical outcasts assembled in the deepest recesses of a mysterious French penal colony on the remote island of New Caledonia. Imprisoned for a crime they didn't commit after being washed ashore from a horrendous boating accident involving a giant squid, The New Caledonians all awoke simultaneously after being pronounced dead in the prison infirmary. Considered a miracle, they immediately drew the attention of the resident prison guru and musical genius, the Indian mystic Baba Baksheesh, who it was thought had died from eating bad pork decades earlier. Baba took the three under his wing and proceeded to teach them the secrets of the universe and how to play mysterious, exotic melodies on their crappy prison instruments. Baba had a limited supply of scratchy vinyl to use as instruction tools at the prison, all washed ashore on the island from a container ship that departed from San Francisco in 1968.

What could this possibly sound like? Show up at the Tonga Hut on March 23 to find out!

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-19 7:59 pm   Permalink

Aloha Everybody!

Here's a look at the "Bob In Show" Ribbon for the Art Show. The Ribbon and a bottle of rum is the prize for the piece with the most votes!

C'mon out on the 23rd and cast yer vote for "Bob in Show"!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-20 10:17 am   Permalink

I'll have a rainbow of Bobs at the show. No mold is used, each one is individually made on wheel then I shape the face.

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-20 11:50 am   Permalink

Nice job Eric, Cass, and Johnnie! Can't wait to see everyone on Sunday!
Here's what I've got so far. Two hand built Bob's at 9.25" inches and 17.75".

I also have a scorpion bowl on the way and will be vending my ceramic wares. I'll have handmade tiki mugs, lamps, pendants, hanging coconut planters, Nuka Hiva planters, and mid-century modern lidded jars.

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-20 9:36 pm   Permalink

Hey Grog, that's right, this is most likely my last Tonga Hut show.
We are packin it up and moving to Georgia in June. Thanks for the offer to fire;
I only had time for the one Bob, which is currently glaze firing.
Pictured is it at the greenware stage. Fingers crossed it turns out.
See you guys on Sunday!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-21 4:54 pm   Permalink

In addition to my Tiki Bob pieces in the show, I'll also have a booth packed with my handmade pieces.
Some big Moai that are all about 18" tall. They're food and drink safe and hold about 70 ounces of booze...if you've got a straw that's long enough.

Marquesan Lamp

A set of three mid-century modern style lidded jars

Lidded tapa jar and Nuka Hiva booze barrels

And, kind of a coconut theme. To start, coconut mugs with the same Marquesan inspired design from above.

An assortment of lidded coconut jars. Stash jars, matches, lighters, salt, you name it.

Huge coconut mug with removable lid and straw holes. Holds about 36 ounces. I'll only have one on hand.

Hanging coconut planters

Thanks for looking and I'll see you Sunday!

***If you're interested in seeing my daily ceramics updates, please follow me on Instagram...Jungle Modern Ceramics or #junglemodern

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robtikiti

Posted: 2014-03-21 5:03 pm   Permalink

Taka Plumeria will be selling for the first time at this weekend’s Tiki Bob Art Show at the Tonga Hut!

What would make a more lovely addition to your home tiki bar or outdoor Polynesian party than lovely tropical flowers?

When you think of Hawaii you think of leis and when you think of leis you think of Plumeria!

This Sunday, you’ll be able to choose from live potted Plumeria plants or cuttings.

Plumeria are among the most iconic tropical flowers and grow throughout the Pacific, from Asia to South America.

Don’t have a green thumb? Plumeria are hearty and thrive in Southern California.

You’ve got the tiki mugs. You’ve got the aloha shirts. You’ve got nine varieties of rum. Add something beautiful and living that smells wonderful to your exotic lifestyle!

Mahalo!
Rob

View Profile of robtikiti Send a personal message to robtikiti  Goto the website of robtikiti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation