[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel A most excellent adventure. Tiki road trip
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
A most excellent adventure. Tiki road trip
Kilaueakyd
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-21 01:18 am   Permalink

This was an unexpected journey of an epic proportion. It kind of stared last June with a trip to Disneyland during the 50th Anniversary for the Enchanted Tiki Room. It ended just 3 nights ago at the bar of the Man who started it all. Don the Beachcombers. Yeah maybe not the same locale but great people having a good time. And isn't that why we all do this? HB TIKI, bigtikidude, Flip Flop Frank and JOHN O. It's was great meeting you all. Great ending to a long journey.

[ This Message was edited by: Kilaueakyd 2014-03-22 02:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kilaueakyd 2014-04-04 13:46 ]

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-02-21 01:32 am   Permalink

I did not forget Sabu, Beth, David, Spike and that really pretty dancer from the Hula Girls. It was a pleasure and I hope I see you all next time I am in town. Okele Maluna to you all.

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-21 02:19 am   Permalink

The Don's crew is the best!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-02-24 08:50 am   Permalink

They were the best. I hit about 10 stops on this leg of the tiki road trip I have been on. Tonga hut, Trader Sam's, Tiki Ti and Oceanic Arts were the highlights along with Don the Beachcombers. Everyone I met were way cool.

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-02-24 11:09 pm   Permalink

It started with a WestJet flight from Calgary to LA and a trip to the 50th Anniversary of the Enchanted Tiki Room.
We had a great time but never again. I was somewhat disappointed with Disney's over production of merch and the costs involved. Not using Trader Sam's cocktails at the reception was another let down.
We headed North from there and drove up the coast to Santa Cruz (cool drive) and stopped at Hula's for dinner and drinks. Both where quite good with some decent decore to set the mood. Staff where cool too. Then it was up to San Fransisco and a trip to the Tonga Room. I gotta say this is a classic. Drinks where fair but the food was fabulous. A new culinary team has really turned it around here. The next night was Trader Vic's in Emeryville. The decor was great with lots of old pieces from former glory. Some of the poles were unreal. Drinks and food was quite good and service was great.
Can't wait to come back to do the Cove and Forbidden.

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-02-24 11:43 pm   Permalink

Some Photos of the first part of the trip!

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 2:11 pm   Permalink

what happened to the pics??

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-03-05 11:13 am   Permalink

Everything looks good to me. Does anyone else notice broken links to my photos so far?

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-04-04 1:07 pm   Permalink

Like I said that was just the start. Six weeks later I jumped on a plane for O'ahu, Hawai'i and continued on my Tiki road trip. Hearing the news about the International Market place created my first stop. There was a blow up bar called Tiki Town and some cool old tiki items scattered throughout the IMP. Reading Phillip Roberts great book
"Waikiki Tiki" helped find some of more well hidden carvings and a few others on the island I didn't know about.

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-04-04 1:39 pm   Permalink

I would have loved to seen The International Marketplace when Don the Beechcomber created it. Waikiki had Polynesian Pop themed restaurants and Good Tiki Bars all over the town. Crane's Kon-Tiki, Trader Vic,s, Canlis and The Waikikian Hotel. Martin Denny and the likes, playing in the Shell Bar. Arthur Lyman who was born on O'ahu also played here with Denny and on his own, later on. Honolulu is filled with an amazing tiki history. It is a shame we can't go back in time.

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-04-04 2:35 pm   Permalink

Next stop was da kine bra, Gecko'z South Sea Arts. Mike "Gecko" Souriolle is a great Carver who has been making some of the finest mugs as of late. He has some great pieces at La Mariana's, The Tikis and in the stores up in Hale'iwa. Stopped by to see his studio and managed to grab a few rare mugs in the process. Mahalo nui loa Mike.

A few pieces at The Tiki's Bar and Grill, Waikiki

And off to La Mariana's for a cocktail or two. There are a few relics in this place.

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-19 5:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting! My husband and I were in Hawaii last August and I love seeing other people's pictures of places we went to. Brings back great memories.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-04-22 01:41 am   Permalink

The Highlight on O'ahu was the members only Grand opening of the Pacific Hall at the Bishop Museum. What an amazing night. Got a good buzz going from the Kava. The Maori dancers put on a stunning performance. But the pieces from the South Pacific were way cool.
If you ever do Honolulu spend a day at the Bishop Museum. Both Pacific and Hawaiian Hall have the best
collection "Ever". It is a must do. There is so much tiki here it blows your mind.

Moai in front of the Bishop Museum, a sign of what is inside.

My personal favourite. King Kamehameha's personal War God, Kukailimoku.

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-04-22 02:25 am   Permalink

Maybe the Origin of the Scorpian Bowl

I soooo want these.

Rongorongo, a extremely rare piece from Rapanui(Easter Island). Numerous attempts at deciphering this text has been unsuccessful. Not Tiki but very cool

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2014-04-22 02:40 am   Permalink

Kapa(tapa) cloth making out on the lawn.

I hope all you TCers go to Hawai'i and enjoy some of the true roots of what we love so much. It is such an amazing place.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation