FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei, Hina-Kaluua and Maui
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei, Hina-Kaluua and Maui
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-22 9:57 pm   Permalink

A few days after returning from "the DL" the Pele statue I'd had shipped arrived by mail. She needed a friend, so I was staring at the empty cardboard box and packing paper, and inspiration struck.

How I made it:

I printed out reference photos of the Tiki Room Drummer God on 8.5x11" paper, cut out a side view, and traced it onto multiple sheets of cardboard. I cut the cardboard out, stacked the layers together, trimmed down the neck and waist (etc), then taped them together. I coated it with papier-mâché - flour and water mixed to the consistency of heavy cream, and used strips of the brown packing paper. Then set it in the sun to dry:

It looked a little rough, but the prototype was supposed to appear carved from wood, so I figured that was okay. I learned on Wikipedia that you can sand papier-mâché so I did a little smoothing.

Base coat of brown ("burnt umber") acrylic paint:

I painted the details on both sides then added cracks:

The colors looked too bright - my son made a quip about hot dogs.

I went back in and weathered it: painted over the details with brown then immediately wiped it off.

I thought this looked acceptable. I used a plastic food storage tub as the drum, lined the inside with aluminum foil, used parchment paper as a diffuser for the drum skin, and stuck in a flickering LED tea light.

He's obviously (and intentionally) much smaller than the drummers in the ETR (or the copies that now go for terrifically high prices). He'll end up on a high shelf, and we can call it "forced perspective". Here he is with a common household object for scale:

[ This Message was edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-02-22 22:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-03-01 13:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-03-08 14:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-07-06 23:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: joshua bell 2014-09-04 21:08 ]

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 10:05 pm   Permalink

That's a pretty good representation and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying one off Ebay.

Good job!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-22 11:27 pm   Permalink

Very nice JB. Nice step-by-step too.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 09:04 am   Permalink

Wow, looks great!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 10:02 am   Permalink

looks great, thanks for all the info.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 8:50 pm   Permalink

JB. That is a very nice piece! I like working with paper mache. Are you adding plenty of salt to your flour mixture?
It’ll keep little critters from eating your creation from the inside out. I use a liquid starch to soak the paper in and I found out that the critters will eat that too if you don’t add lotsa salt-lotsa, lotsa salt!
Keep posting your art.
Mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2014-02-23 9:25 pm   Permalink

Wonderful project, you did a nice job. Certainly it would look good in any Tiki lounge.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 11:59 pm   Permalink

Awesome. Great build out. and perfect material choice for the design! Very cool.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-24 08:30 am   Permalink

Exactly what everyone else said. You really did a great job and paper mache isn't all that easy to work with. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-24 08:45 am   Permalink

Thanks for the encouraging feedback, everyone!

nui 'umi 'umi: Big thanks for the tip about salt! This was the first time I'd made papier-mâché since... probably elementary school. I'll have to watch this guy over time and be prepared to remake him if critters start to nom.

It turned out well enough that I'm thinking of doing a Ngendei next to really match Pele; if I do, I'll take more detailed pictures of the process. And add salt!

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 2:19 pm   Permalink

Cool! I especially like your solution for the drum!

I like your choice of "common household object" too!

Please post more photos if you continue with other Tiki Room figures!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 5:31 pm   Permalink

Very clever... congrats.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-27 10:10 pm   Permalink

Another package arrived. Not Tiki. Well, an Olmec stone head decanter... so only by way of Thor Heyerdahl. But anyway, the empty box was sitting there. Calling to me. And the kids were asleep. So....

I found this nice WED reference photo online and printed it at the appropriate size:

Cut it out, traced it onto cardboard 3 times, cut those out, then started making smaller pieces to bulk out the body. Also made a base and framework for the Earth. Ngendei's profile is a simpler shape than the drummer and he's got much less volume overall but the curves will be less forgiving.

Started assembly:

And completed assembly:

I will probably need to trim under his hands to give that transition a nice edge. Or I may sneak in a cap for the top of the Earth, just under his head.

Elapsed time: 2 hours from printout to posting this.

[ This Message was edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-03-01 13:41 ]

Abe Lugo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-27 10:27 pm   Permalink

wow great job getting crafty, great job, I may take that lead and make some of these.

View Profile of Abe Lugo Send a personal message to Abe Lugo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-01 1:37 pm   Permalink

On with the papier-mâché - this time with newsprint (packing paper from the box!) with lotsa lotsa salt! Astute observers may note that I added one more bit of cardboard to change his shape - a bit of a tummy!

Is that the glee club on the placemat under the rack? Anyway, Ngendei hadn't dried out all the way overnight...

...and since I'm impatient and it's cloudy here today, into the convection toaster oven to dry:

[ This Message was edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-03-01 13:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Joshua Bell 2014-03-01 13:40 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation