FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei, Hina-Kaluua and Maui
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei, Hina-Kaluua and Maui
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-03 9:39 pm   Permalink

Once he was dry I worked him over with a sanding block. That turned up a few areas that were too thin, so I added another layer in places, and then back into the oven to dry overnight. Sanded him again, and called it good:

Base color is burnt umber again:

And then some wood grain. My wife said he looked like he was wearing pin-stripes. The real Ngendei has quite distinct (and regular) cracks, so I did those initially and will come back later and add lighter cracks, if necessary.

Then I started on the colors for his body, which went pretty quickly:

ETRphiles may note that I'm going for a classic color scheme - the real Ngendei is sporting a blueish paint job at the moment, but we thought he'd be a better match for Pele this way.

Next up - the swirly Earth, and then a weathering pass.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 12:33 am   Permalink

Hey JB, Really enjoying this thread. You’re proving to be quite the craftsperson. See if you can use this tip; If your piece is still wet when you call it a night, set it atop the water heater ( mine is in an enclosed space inside the house). Almost certainly dry in the A M.
Keep churning out that goodlooking stuff!
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-06 3:10 pm   Permalink

JB,Every piece that I have made is kept indoors.I still use a “finish” on them. Gives em the look of ceramic (glossy) and they are much easier to dust/clean. Also comes in a “matte” finish which I have not used. At most craft stores.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-06 6:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks nui! I have something similar which I used on the Drummer to seal him.

Here's the base painted and a little more wood grain added:

I have him weathered but need to touch it up a bit and put on the finish.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-06 7:43 pm   Permalink

These are neat!! Nice jorb.

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-06 10:17 pm   Permalink

Your choice of colors really sets off your art!
Keep posting.

Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-08 2:01 pm   Permalink

Done!

And here he is with a friend:

I am Pele, goddess of fire and volcanoes.
Some say I torment poor Ngendei the Earth-balancer, for when my violent temper rises, the Earth trembles at its foundation.

Legends say I'm balancing the Earth. But sad to say I'm just hanging on!

I'm the one who's really sad, for when I smile it comes out mad!

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-09 08:52 am   Permalink

GREAT job!!
I like the way you aged the paint job at the end.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 09:05 am   Permalink

Really great!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 08:08 am   Permalink

Very nice JB.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-10 2:48 pm   Permalink

I agree! Very nice! Keep it up

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-11 4:52 pm   Permalink

Very cool work, Josh! I love it.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-22 5:12 pm   Permalink

Another build...

This one got started because I was stuck inside on a gorgeous day while the kids napped, and another box had arrived. I started with a skeleton rather than than stacked layers:

Which covered nicely:

And skipping over the painting/weathering steps...

Uh, yes, so far he's just a head on a convenient stand. His drum is in progress, but I want to scale the body to fit the space rather than be exactly the same dimensions as the ETR originals.

BTW, do these guys have names? I casually refer to the ones like ErichTroudt built over in http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34289&forum=5&vpost=710941 as "the witchdoctor" and these as "the bird".

ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-22 9:02 pm   Permalink

Good job man.

I know you said you were going smaller, but if you need any help with the sizes on his body or drum let me know..the one I built is really close to true scale.

If they have names, I've never seen it... I always just called them the middle drummer...(creative, I know)...

I'm waiting for you to do the tangaroa tree next... complete with "new life forms"...lol

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-24 3:18 pm   Permalink

So good! I'm gonna have to try making these someday. Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation