FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei and Hina-Kaluua
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei and Hina-Kaluua
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-24 8:47 pm   Permalink

Wow, those are awesome! I mix a little garlic powder in my paiper mache to keep the bugs from eating them.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-29 9:26 pm   Permalink

Time to give the poor guy a body:

ErichTroudt will no doubt notice that I've simplified the shape a fair bit: his legs are straight out, the arm pegs are square, and the neck is much shorter. Once assembled he'll still be taller than Pele, though!

Right now, though, he looks a bit like a frog:

Also, this one's tilted head is provided by a slant on the top of the neck; on the real drummer in the ETR, the head has a wedge underneath to give his awesome visage the right view to ensure the audience is enjoying their Dole Whip.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 9:27 pm   Permalink

your awesome work continues!

Really great stuff!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 12:56 am   Permalink

very nice

yeah mine is flat, so I straightened out his legs too....and because my drum was only 2 inches thick I had to tweak his arms at the elbows to go in over the drum instead of more forward.

Look at it this way, if we made them exact like disneys we get a nasty letter..lol

just like me, you've probably got .92 cents in material, and $36 in feathers

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-30 8:24 pm   Permalink

Okay, here he is, with a little mood lighting:

Or more clearly, towering over his supplicant:

I am very happy with how the body paint job turned out. It's again a base of burnt umber, then some subtle highlights of red and blue mixed with the brown, then texturing, weathering, and sealing. I'm also pleased with the paint job on the head.

Straight-on shot:

Critique-ey: when I scaled down the body I didn't scale down the head enough. And then when I was comparing the body shape to the head I thought the neck was too skinny so I made the body wider which makes the neck look too thick. Ah well - I think he's recognizable, which is the main thing.

I may still add the flashing eyes, if I can find the right sequins. And no, his hands don't reach the drums. The arms on the real drummers in the ETR angle in.

For scale, another cameo:

ErichTroudt: Yeah, feathers were spendy! The paints weren't cheap either, since I went to a "real" art store. This particular feather was the best of the lot, but does make him look a bit "emo".

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-30 8:31 pm   Permalink

You are so good at this. Talented. This is a really fun thread to watch, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-13 7:17 pm   Permalink

So the center drummer looks good, but he can't really be a center drummer without drummers on each side. So time to make another drummer god!

Step 1: Print out a picture, trace onto cardboard, and cut out. Over and over and over again.

Step 2: Trim them:

It's easier than it looks. I basically assemble the layers, decide what to cut away, test fit, and repeat. Do one side first, and use it as a template for the other.

Step 3: Assemble!

Yes, I'm doing two! They need to be symmetrical, and there's no way I can perfectly match the one I made before. It was just as easy to make 4 of each piece as it was to do 2. Plus, I can make improvements.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-14 12:56 am   Permalink

Wow! I am impressed! I have been silently following this thread, but thought I would finally pipe up because your work is so very cool. I loves me some Enchanted Tiki Room and I am pretty much in awe with what you have managed with humble paper mache! Great stuff!!!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Woodtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-14 07:06 am   Permalink

These are so fun! Fun to watch them come alive.

View Profile of Woodtiki Send a personal message to Woodtiki  Email Woodtiki Goto the website of Woodtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-16 9:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, everyone! It means a lot coming from such talented artists. I'm tempted to enter the Art Swap this time if I can come up with something to make...

Drummer Twins Progress!

Wet:

Dry:

Followed by sanding, then another touch-up layer of papier-mâché. Then more drying. Then more sanding.

Base coat:

Wood texture:

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-17 12:18 am   Permalink

This sure is fun to watch. You are so good at this, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-17 07:46 am   Permalink

These are so cool!

I love the pic of them sitting there in the window, wet. Looks like they were told they couldn't go outside and play until they dried off.

Thanks for sharing the "how tos"

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-22 10:06 pm   Permalink

Almost done with the painting. Here is a comparison between pre-weathering (left) and post-weathering (right).

Yes, the eyes are different - slightly different personalities?

I stuck with the color scheme of the drummers that were sold, although each pair in the ETR has a different complementary scheme.

I need to finish the drums and seal 'em. I'll compare "v2" against the first one I made, and can show the whole drummer family together in our enchanted dining room.

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 11:16 am   Permalink

So now that you are almost done with the drummers I think your next project should be making some of the face columns:

6'-8' columns? How hard could it be, right ?

I like the matching pair--can't wait to see them altogether

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-23 12:45 pm   Permalink

Drummers are really looking good!

8' paper mache column....I can't imagine that would be a challenge for you. I agree, we are expecting those to be your next project.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation