FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei, Hina-Kaluua and Maui
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Papier-mâché Enchanted Tiki Room Drummer Gods, Ngendei, Hina-Kaluua and Maui
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-04 08:17 am   Permalink

Any hopes of attaching a little tube to her hat so she can "rain"? Heheh

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-04 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-03 19:35, Joshua Bell wrote:

Well I'm feeling a little stupid for not noticing this before, Hina was the inspiration for the WDW Polynesian Village Resort mug:

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-04 09:44 am   Permalink

Yep! Originally she had a smaller hat - no wide brim - and looked even more like the mug. The large Hina on the grounds of the Polynesian and the small resin figures match her original configuration. Only the Hina at the DL ETR has the wide hat, which I prefer.

I found an old photo showing the water spraying out from the narrow hat at an angle, whereas with the wide-brimmed hat the water drops straight down. I'm guessing the hat change was for keeping the water under control. But as I said, I like the look of it more anyway.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-04 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-04 08:17, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Any hopes of attaching a little tube to her hat so she can "rain"? Heheh

Keep watching this space!

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-04 09:48 am   Permalink

I've actually never seen that mug! Whoa! Any story behind it?

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-04 11:02 am   Permalink

Here she is all together:

I just finished attaching her feet to the (weighted) base, so she's drying again. One more bit of sanding, then finally paint!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-05 6:56 pm   Permalink

I love what you are doing.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-06 11:44 pm   Permalink

Here's Hina Kaluaa - 99% done. (The remaining 1% needs to wait until further... seasonal materials are acquired.)

Due to her hat, she photographs poorly except in bright ambient daylight. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow of Hina with her friends.

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-07 07:09 am   Permalink

Groovy.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-07 6:33 pm   Permalink

Here's the whole gang:

Pele, Ngendei, Hina Kaluua, and Uti

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-07 8:08 pm   Permalink

SPECTACULAR! Love em.

Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-31 4:32 pm   Permalink

My name is Maui. Natives call me the mighty one.
I tame the playful sun, and gave my people time.
Now they set their clocks by mine,
for I am tropic standard time

Whelp, this one took a little longer for various reasons. Here we go...

Cardboard skeleton:

Papier mache starts to go on. After this was taken I actually redid the head since the shape wasn't working.

Drying, along with his playful little friend.

Then a bunch of time passes, and:

With the gang:

No, he's not a functional fountain. Maui is, however, a functional clock! You can see about five minutes passed between those photos. One of the time consuming parts of the build was that I didn't decide to make him a clock until after the build was complete, so I needed to hollow him out.

I'm not thrilled with the colors - the red and yellow both need to be a little more orange. I wish I could color-match Pele! Maui's paint job is also far less forgiving (the little blue face guy and playful sun)

Aloyzius

Posted: 2014-08-31 7:53 pm   Permalink

These are awesome! I hope to see more. It is very tricky copying the original statues and doing them justice. And you nailed it. I hope there is a Tangoroa Ru coming one day to keep Hina company.

View Profile of Aloyzius Send a personal message to Aloyzius      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-03 07:35 am   Permalink

This is so awesome. I wish Disney would actually make these!

TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-03 09:46 am   Permalink

So creative and they look amazing! Well done!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation