Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Hidden tikis in the desert... kinda
Hidden tikis in the desert... kinda
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-27 6:31 pm   Permalink

Who's seen these guys before? They're in the middle of a desert. Imaginary bitcoin to the winner

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-02-27 7:33 pm   Permalink

I know exactly where those are! I'll let someone else try a shot at the answer. In the meantime here are a few photos I took the last time passing by (around Chistmas hence the hanging ornaments).

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-27 10:11 pm   Permalink

I tried zooming in on the trash can, bulletin board and easel but no luck

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-28 6:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-27 19:33, Hakalugi wrote:
I know exactly where those are! I'll let someone else try a shot at the answer. In the meantime here are a few photos I took the last time passing by (around Chistmas hence the hanging ornaments).

The ornaments are still there! But I didn't see the carved head to the left of them. I didn't get the low-down as to why these were carved in the first place. If you know, please tell!

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-02-28 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-28 18:10, Zinctiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-02-27 19:33, Hakalugi wrote:
I know exactly where those are! I'll let someone else try a shot at the answer. In the meantime here are a few photos I took the last time passing by (around Christmas hence the hanging ornaments).

The ornaments are still there! But I didn't see the carved head to the left of them. I didn't get the low-down as to why these were carved in the first place. If you know, please tell!

That's funny, I guess the ornaments are a permanent fixture. And unfortunately, no, I didn't get the details on the carvings either.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-28 8:00 pm   Permalink

Is that the Mojave Oasis? I haven't been there yet, so it's just a guess

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-01 2:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-28 20:00, Tele295 wrote:
Is that the Mojave Oasis? I haven't been there yet, so it's just a guess

Nope. But that's a good guess! It's also an oasis - different desert.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 6:01 pm   Permalink

Is it near the salton sea?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 6:44 pm   Permalink

Palm Springs, Palm Desert?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 11:37 am   Permalink

http://coachellavalleypreserve.org

Great spot. But yeah, only sorta Tikis. The only bearded face I accept as being Tiki is Kon Tiki the sun god, and I don't think that was the intention here. Still, well worth a visit.

And I think the ornaments are hummingbird feeders

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-02 1:39 pm   Permalink

Man I spent a half hour today figuring out were this is only to find that BigBro had spilled the beans! Aren't you supposed to be writing book or something? Get back to work!

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2014-03-02 13:40 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 2:00 pm   Permalink

I didn't want to cheat, as I knew about this from an episode of
Huell Howser's show, I will see if I can find it online & post a link

Was this ever discussed on TC before now?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-03 2:22 pm   Permalink

Bigbro: Yeah, I posted here since it's not exactly tiki. But close!

ATP: I checked before posting and the preserve hadn't been discussed from what I could find.

It's a cool place in the desert, literally, and I'd never known palms were not trees but the largest of the grass family - per a seemingly knowledgeable guide - and that palms 'drink' about 140 gallons of water per day(!) They generally don't die in fires because of the dense water in the trunks, instead usually only the skirts burn off. Supposedly if you drill a hole in a palm, water will pour out.

The preserve sits on top of the San Andreas fault, the hills are the high side and the water and palms are on the low side. There are also unique fish indigenous to the ponds.

https://tinyurl.com/qyt7sbm

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation