FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-08-30 12:59 am   Permalink

Exciting stuff. I look forward to trying the new recipes.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-01 8:13 pm   Permalink

This month's Flashback Friday cocktail is an off-menu classic from the old days ... the Singapore Sling.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-09-14 06:38 am   Permalink

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the blog and recipes, which I've only recently discovered. I'm planning on testing two of the Black Magic recipes this weekend! Looks like a great party starter with that big whack of coffee.

It's interesting to see a lot of Appleton Reserve in use. Personally I really rate this rum and I think it works better in almost any longer cocktail that the 12 year, even though the 12 seems to be more prevalent in bars. It's a much more attractive price to the home barman, too. Mahalo!

View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
13thfloor

Posted: 30 days ago; 1:12 pm   Permalink

Aloha Hurricane! I have had a lot of fun with your amazing recipes over the years. Big fan of the Mutiny and Black magic recipes!
This friday we will feature your demerara float recipe on our Tiki night in a bar here in Bergen, Norway. You are credited on the menu. Thanks for your fantastic blog and recipes that make it possible for us to get a glimpse of Mai Kais greatness.

View Profile of 13thfloor Send a personal message to 13thfloor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 2:35 pm   Permalink

We made two Black Magics on Friday, both based on the August '17 recipe. I used a mix of Myers, OFTD, Appleton Reserve and just a quarter oz of Velier 151 Unaged Jamaican for the rum base.

My wife does not like even trace amounts of anise flavour, so we made one with it included in the Mariano's Mix,, and one without. (I also didn't use Pernod, but i watered down Jade 1901 absinthe 1:1 and added a half teaspoon of that to the drink that did have it - I'm guessing this is about right as it's a much stronger taste than Pernod).

The drink with the absinthe was better! The other one was good, but it just lacked something undefinable, like a meal without salt. As an added bonus, we decided that although you *missed* the anise when it wasn't there, there wasn't really a detectable anise note in the compete drink (as such), and my wife also preferred it! There's such a symphony of strong flavours here, i think that even absinthe, albeit in tiny quantities, becomes part of the the ensemble rather than dominating. The bitter coffee backbone must help with this.

These were delicious - although I need to wait for a party to have a whole one to myself again, the coffee and the overproof in combination get me bouncing off the ceiling. Going to try the Mutiny next!

View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 11:52 pm   Permalink

Sorry I've been distracted in the wake of Hurricane Irma and other issues. But be sure that big things are on the horizon. First off, a few mahalos to friends and fellow enthusiasts Early Landed Larry and 13thfloor for their comments and support. I'm glad you're enjoying The Mai-Kai cocktails.

Also, a belated mahalo to Lucky in Pittsburgh for the big-time tribute amidst the chaos Hurricane Irma ...

In case you aren't following along on the Friends of The Mai-Kai page on Facebook, here's this month's Flashback Friday cocktail ...

Look for me there this Friday the 13th as I'll be sampling one of my favorite lost cocktails!

And be sure to join the group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaiKaiFriends/

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 11:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha Larry, glad you enjoyed the latest Black Magic tribute recipe. I love the "symphony of strong flavors" reference.

Be aware that a new Mutiny tribute recipe will be posted soon, also including #7.

Okole maluna!

HH

Quote:

On 2017-09-25 14:35, Early Landed Larry wrote:

We made two Black Magics on Friday, both based on the August '17 recipe. I used a mix of Myers, OFTD, Appleton Reserve and just a quarter oz of Velier 151 Unaged Jamaican for the rum base.

My wife does not like even trace amounts of anise flavour, so we made one with it included in the Mariano's Mix,, and one without. (I also didn't use Pernod, but i watered down Jade 1901 absinthe 1:1 and added a half teaspoon of that to the drink that did have it - I'm guessing this is about right as it's a much stronger taste than Pernod).

The drink with the absinthe was better! The other one was good, but it just lacked something undefinable, like a meal without salt. As an added bonus, we decided that although you *missed* the anise when it wasn't there, there wasn't really a detectable anise note in the compete drink (as such), and my wife also preferred it! There's such a symphony of strong flavours here, i think that even absinthe, albeit in tiny quantities, becomes part of the the ensemble rather than dominating. The bitter coffee backbone must help with this.

These were delicious - although I need to wait for a party to have a whole one to myself again, the coffee and the overproof in combination get me bouncing off the ceiling. Going to try the Mutiny next!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 4:47 pm   Permalink

An appropriate Flashback Friday (the 13th) cocktail ... Last Rites:

Review, recipes, more ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/29/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-classic-last-rites-returns-from-the-grave/

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 10:55 pm   Permalink

Catching up on a few bits of news in Hurricane Irma's wake last month ...

The storm wreaked havoc on Florida's citrus industry, which we follow closely due to The Mai-Kai's use of the state's fresh fruit and juices. Here are a few stories that cover the highlights:

Irma may speed the end of orange juice (The Washington Post)
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/irma-may-speed-the-end-orange-juice/W1QeemIvGz71nBFKp6DdIN/

Why Your Orange Juice Might Be From Brazil: Florida’s Trees Are Dying (The Wall Street Journal)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/floridas-orange-industry-symbol-of-a-state-is-dying-1506437044

Citrus groves regroup after getting ‘kicked in the teeth’ by Irma (The Palm Beach Post)
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/business/citrus-groves-regroup-after-getting-kicked-the-teeth-irma/r2bnA6mYaHy132lLYzscLJ/

The third story does offer a glimmer of hope:
"We’re down but this industry is not out. We’re not going away," one industry exec adamantly insisted. "We’re doing all we can to make sure this is a sustainable industry going forward. And it will be."

Click back to page 13 of this thread for lots more on the juices of The Mai-Kai:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47293&forum=10&start=180

Meanwhile, damage at The Mai-Kai was minimal and limited mostly to the trees and grounds. However, sadly, we lost the iconic moai Tiki carved by Barney West that stood on the southeast corner of the property facing Federal Highway for more than 50 years. In better days:

Plans are in the works to replace the giant carving with a similar moai, but in the meantime we can remember "Big Barney" with The Mai-Kai Moai, a cocktail I created back in 2015 to fill the special mug created by Tiki Diablo for the wedding of Mike and Chelsea at The Mai-Kai ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/04/16/miami-rum-festival-boldly-explores-the-next-frontier-of-cane-spirits/#Mai-Kai-Moai

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation