FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-22 12:17 am   Permalink

Shrunken Skull vs. Shrunken Skull:

The verdict: It's a stalemate. Compared head-to-head, it's almost impossible to tell the difference. The Hamilton 151 version has just the slightest amount of extra heat.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-22 5:49 pm   Permalink

Hurricane - just tried your tribute to the Mai Kai's 151 Swizzle. Wow!! Just amazing. It immediately became one of my favorites. Not even sure if I want to try the Grog Log version.

The problem though is that I can't get Kohala Bay here in California, as far as I can tell. I'm not even seeing Smith and Cross at Hi Time's website. I used a 3:1 Coruba to El Dorado 12 for this version and it certainly wasn't bad or anything - it was delicious. But I'm not sure if that's getting the flavor profile right or if there's a better alternative.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-03-23 09:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-22 17:49, wupput wrote:
Hurricane - just tried your tribute to the Mai Kai's 151 Swizzle. Wow!! Just amazing. It immediately became one of my favorites. Not even sure if I want to try the Grog Log version.

The problem though is that I can't get Kohala Bay here in California, as far as I can tell. I'm not even seeing Smith and Cross at Hi Time's website. I used a 3:1 Coruba to El Dorado 12 for this version and it certainly wasn't bad or anything - it was delicious. But I'm not sure if that's getting the flavor profile right or if there's a better alternative.

You'd have to have Kohala shipped to California, but it can be had:
http://www.sunsetcorners.com/browse.cfm/kohala-bay-rum-1.75/4,8627.html

RE Smith & Cross: http://www.hitimewine.net/SMITH-and-CROSS-JAMAICA-RUM-750.html

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-23 11:53 am   Permalink

Thanks Loki-Tiki. Their search engine is funny - Smith and Cross came up with nothing, but Smith & Cross - yep! I'll pick up a bottle. I've been reading about it and really interested in trying it.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-24 01:09 am   Permalink

wupput, glad you enjoyed the 151 Swizzle. I've got a possible update coming on that tribute recipe. After tasting it with Hamilton 151 a few times, I realize that it's a little more complex than my last update reflects. It's a bit inconsistent coming out of the bar, unfortunately, but when they nail it, it's amazing. Martin Cate rates it as his favorite at The Mai-Kai:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/09/13/take-5-martin-cate-owner-of-smugglers-cove-in-san-francisco-and-rum-cocktail-maestro/

I'd encourage your to pick up Kohala Bay if you can. The substitution is close, but not quite the same. Also, FYI: Hamilton makes a funky Jamaican rum that's similar to Smith & Cross.

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-24 3:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hurricane. I have seen Hamilton's Jamaican at Hi Time Wine. Given a choice between Smith & Cross or Hamilton's Jamaican which would you recommend for those Mai Kai tribute drinks? I'd love to try Kohala Bay but that shipping from FL - ouch.

[ This Message was edited by: wupput 2015-03-24 19:06 ]

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-29 12:48 am   Permalink

I'd stick with the Smith & Cross / El Dorado combination if you don't have access to Kohala Bay.

enhill73

Posted: 2015-04-05 6:47 pm   Permalink

Hurricane- I have the pleasure of making a trip to the Mai Kai this Friday night. I live right outside of Orlando and I'm bringing an out of town buddy to experience Tiki Heaven on earth. Curious if you knew if the Mai Kai are still/back to using the Hamilton demerara rums? I haven't heard much since the label issues he was having a bit back. Hoping we would have the privilege of having their amazing drinks made with those rums. Thank you!

View Profile of enhill73 Send a personal message to enhill73      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-04-05 9:34 pm   Permalink

Hurricane - the latest of your tributes that I'm blown away by is the Demerara Cocktail tribute. I made it to spec with half Hamilton 86 and a blend of Appleton VX and El Dorado 12 and it was one of the most delicious cocktails I've had!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-07 10:08 pm   Permalink

wupput:
Mahalo for the kind words! Since the Hamilton rums arrived, I've been so caught up with the current menu that I hadn't tried it yet in any of the retired cocktails. The Demerara Cocktail and Demerara Float are both great vehicles for that rum. I may ask The Mai-Kai to mix up a few of both of those next week during Miami Rum Fest.

enhill73:
You'll be happy to know that I just confirmed that the Hamilton rums are in good supply at The Mai-Kai, and Ed Hamilton also just confirmed that the latest batch with the new label is now out in distribution. Check here if you want to track it down by distributor:
http://www.caribbean-spirits.com

Here are the drinks that currently use the 86 and 151 proof Hamilton rums:

>>> 151 proof
* 151 Swizzle (strong)
* Jet Pilot (strong)
* Shrunken Skull (strong)
* Special Planters (strong)
* Zombie (strong)

>>> 151 and 86 proof
* K.O. Cooler (strong)

>>> 86 proof
* Bora Bora (strong)
* Oh So Deadly (mild)
* Sidewinder's Fang (strong)
* S.O.S. (mild)
* Yeoman's Grog (strong)

Now that I'm certain it's in ample supply, I'll be updating all the above reviews and also tweaking at least one of the recipes. There will also be an updated story on the Lemon Hart-Hamilton saga.

Okole maluna!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-07 10:47 pm   Permalink

Some more news to report:

With the annual Miami Rum Fest Cocktail Week coming up, details are emerging on the annual Tiki Night at The Mai-Kai on Tuesday, April 14. The sponsor rum for the evening is Fwaygo, a new rum from Fort Lauderdale:
http://www.southfloridadistillers.com/spirits/

A bus will bring a large group of Rum Fest guests, who will enjoy dinner in the showroom and a complimentary Fwaygo Rum specialty cocktail. I stopped by The Molokai bar on Saturday and got to sample the rum and the cocktail, the Grapefruit Julep:

The rum is surprisingly rich and funky for a white rum. It reminds me of The Real McCoy's white rum, or Plantation 5 Stars. The cocktail spotlights the rum nicely. I'll have more details on the drink after sampling a few more on Tuesday.

Of lesser interest to us cocktail geeks but something I should mention is the new menu of "cocktail specials" that was introduced on Friday. I also got a look at this on Saturday, though it's really nothing to get excited about:

It's geared toward the tourists and those who may be intimidated by the classic cocktail menu. I put this in the same category as the martinis that were added to the menu last year. If it brings more folks into the bar and helps them turn a profit, that's all the better. And perhaps they'll be curious about those mysterious cocktails in the big menu and give some of them a try.

I had to try one of them, so I gave The Real McCoy Swizzle a whirl:

It was very much on the sweet side, with the rum not very prominent. It's similar to the mild Mai-Kai Swizzle. Nothing to get too excited about. They've always offered different vodka variations on the Rum Barrel out of necessity. Some people just need to have their vodka. A friend tried the Rainbow Vodka Barrel and thought it was decent enough. If you're averse to rum for some reason, this is a decent option. Flavored Rum Barrels have also been offered before, but reviews have not been as good. I would avoid those. The Coconut Rum Moonkist Coconut is interesting, so I may try that at some point. Perhaps the Mai Tai as well. I just wish they'd use Koloa Rum, but I understand they need to schmooze Diageo and Captain Morgan.

But we certainly shouldn't waste too much time bemoaning these. As manager Kern Mattei told me, some people come for the classic drinks while others want stuff like this. It's two different audiences.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-04-11 12:15 am   Permalink

Look for an updated 151 Swizzle tribute recipe, coming soon ...

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2015-04-11 00:17 ]

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 12:45 am   Permalink

This should be a fun event ...

Facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/829318383800493/

At press time, Mr. Mattei had yet to decide which three drinks will be offered in the flight, but I’d be surprised if The Mai-Kai’s own entry, the Molokai Swizzle, is not on the list. Winners in the contest were New York City’s Brian Miller (Judge’s Choice) and Miami’s The Broken Shaker (People’s Choice). Here's the full coverage of the February showdown on South Beach:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/02/19/bam-its-tiki-time-at-the-south-beach-wine-food-festival/

The official blog of The Hukilau

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation