FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-12 11:07 pm   Permalink

As posted on a few other threads, I've just updated The Mai-Kai guide to rums from Guyana with a head-to-head comparison of the much-ballyhooed 151 rums ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#151-compare

On a 1-5 scale, with 5 being perfection:
4.7 – Lemon Hart 151 “yellow label”
4.5 – Lemon Hart 151 “red label”
4.4 – Hamilton 151

It's hard to beat the old yellow label Lemon Hart, but Hamilton 151 comes close. Check the link above for the full review.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-11-23 12:57 pm   Permalink

I recently snagged a copy of Mr. Lemon Hart's Tropical Treats cocktail guide and was surprised to find a couple Mai Kai recipes inside. I compared them to the ancestral recipes you posted on the Atomic Grog which were both sourced from Berry's books. Only difference I noticed between those and the recipes in this 1973 publication are the proportions. The Lemon Hart drinks are exactly half the size. Has Mai Kai doubled the size of their drinks since then or was Jeff just trying to make these larger for our own enjoyment/drunkenness?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2015-11-23 1:14 pm   Permalink

Those look like pretty small drinks... 2 oz in a Shrunkin Skull?!? Is that a shot

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2015-11-23 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-11-23 13:14, lunavideogames wrote:
Those look like pretty small drinks... 2 oz in a Shrunkin Skull?!? Is that a shot

Right?! So why did they publish it half size?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-24 11:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-11-23 13:28, mikehooker wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-11-23 13:14, lunavideogames wrote:

Right?! So why did they publish it half size?

Are they trying to be consistent with the rest of the recipes in the book? I have no other explanation. You'd think they would want to sell more rum, not less.

The Shrunken Skull is certainly much bigger than that, as we all know well. (And if you haven't had the drink lately, since they added Hamilton 151, do yourself a favor and revisit it. I was pleasantly surprised. The rougher Hamilton cuts through the sweetness of the drink.)

As for the Demerara Cocktail, it has returned several times for special occasions, and while not as potent as the Bum's version, its definitely bigger than that Lemon Hart recipe. Here's my tribute:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/01/08/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-demerara-cocktail-is-a-throwback-to-another-era/#tribute

Mahalo for sharing Mike!

And to answer your original question, I seriously doubt that they have doubled the size of any of the drinks over the years. In all the old photos I've seen, they look almost identical. And the glassware is virtually the same size.

I think this was taken some time in the mid to late '70s when Mariano was still there:

The drinks are remarkably similar today. Though you'll notice some vintage glassware that's no longer around, like the Deep Sea Diver glass in the upper left.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2015-11-24 12:01 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-29 10:54 am   Permalink

Mike: Upon further reflection, my educated guess is that Jeff tweaked the proportions to make them larger. I'm pretty sure he made multiple changes to drinks he found in old books to make them better. The "Mr. Lemon Hart" book is in the Sippin' Safari bibliography, so it makes sense that's his source for the Demerara Cocktail.

I'll try to verify this with him when I get a chance, but I know he made tweaks to replace defunct ingredients (like fassionola) and make some recipes more modern and easier to make, not to mention enhance "our own enjoyment/drunkenness." :>)

Also worth noting: Back in the day, recipes were kept in such secrecy that it wasn't uncommon for bartenders to give book writers and magazines a different recipe, often dumbed down or not as good as what they served in their bars. Donn Beach was known to do this, which is one of the theories about the 1950 Zombie.

So it's also possible that The Mai-Kai gave the Lemon Hart book publisher a scaled back recipe on purpose, though that doesn't really hide the secret that much. Come to think of it, I've seen smaller versions of the Mara Amu published as well.

Also, regarding the Shrunken Skull, they might have given the book the version without the 151 floater that Donn originally served. All the Mai-Kai menus I've seen include the little shot glass next to the mug. I'll have to ask Jeff about this as well. It's likely that he knew this, having already frequented The Mai-Kai when he published the Shrunken Skull recipe (without credit) in Grog Log. It's possible Jeff got this recipe from the Mr. Lemon Hart book and surmised that it was Donn's version.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-29 2:11 pm   Permalink

We had a great time at last night's 59th anniversary party in The Molokai. It didn't hurt that most drinks and appetizers were 59% off all night. Mahalo to Dave, Kern, Pia and everyone at The Mai-Kai for the great hospitality.

We started with the Zombie and Mai Tai and didn't look back. All the drinks and food were on-point all night. I posted more photos on The Mai-Kai and "What are you drinking?" threads.

Noted lowbrow and tattoo artist Pooch joined me for more than a few. Mrs. Hurricane and I hung out with lots of friendly ohana.

An added bonus, the new mugs from Tiki Diablo are already available in the gift shop ...

The Week in Tiki is taking up most of my blogging time, but I promise lots of updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide in the coming months. I've been busy with research and have quite a bit of news to report.

The Hukilau's Tiki Kiliki dropped by recently to help with the research ...

Okole maluna!

The official blog of The Hukilau

AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-29 2:15 pm   Permalink

Nice bar, Jim, with interesting lighting! You need an area where you post signed photos of prominent visitors.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-09 09:36 am   Permalink

On Thursday, I had the chance to take a tour of the back service bar and got another look at the historic rum collection ...

mikehooker

Posted: 2016-01-09 1:50 pm   Permalink

Super cool. So what do you have to do to get a taste of some of those??

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-09 10:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-01-09 13:50, mikehooker wrote:
Super cool. So what do you have to do to get a taste of some of those??

Most of the old stuff is most likely undrinkable, unfortunately. I recall a Beachbum Berry blog from eight or so years ago where he wrote about getting his first tour back there. He talked them into letting him sample a few old bottles, but they had either become tasteless or turned to sludge. I've heard that the only chance of an old bottle surviving for decades is keeping it unopened.

FYI, here's a photo of the same bar from 1962 (scanned from Sippin' Safari). That's head bartender Mariano Licudine at right and manager Robert Van Dorpe at left.

On a related topic: Swanky has launched a great-looking website that previews his upcoming book ...
http://www.maikaihistory.com

Some great photos of rare mugs: http://www.maikaihistory.com/?page_id=462

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-01-09 22:28 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-10 06:43 am   Permalink

Btw, that's James Donn In the center of the picture. Head of Gulfstream Park.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation