FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-26 3:08 pm   Permalink

{MESSAGE DELETED}

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2017-03-26 20:06 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-26 3:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-23 22:37, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Great update Hayward. I can tell you (as someone who sold Bacardi for many years) that Castillo is, in fact. a Bacardi product.

As someone who has audited Bacardi I can tell you that Castillo is not only a Bacardi product it's also (at least as of 5ish years ago) Bacardi-with-a-different-label. (The reasons why it's cheaper would only excite a few people who geek out on accounting.)

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-26 8:01 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2017-03-26 15:08, jokeiii wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-03-20 21:33, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-03-19 09:59, LeftarmofBuddha wrote:
I've been mixing Coruba, Hamilton Black, and OFTD in a ratio of 2:1:1/2 respectively and it has been delicious. I feel it is very similar to the Smith and Cross/El Dorado 12 mix in it's richness and ability to standout in a cocktail.

Aloha Tim! When I get ahold of Hamilton Dark, I'll let you know what I think. Your blend seems very close to jokeiii's 5:1:1 blend of the same rums. I was actually at The Mai-Kai the night Ed Hamilton brought that rum by to sample, but it was considered way too funky on its own as something they'd want to stock.

Here's my thinking on "my" blend: I'm willing to be flexible on the proof (my blend weighs in at 83.5 vs. 87.6 for KB, which I don't think makes a material difference) but not on the flavor profile, as expressed in a cocktail. In a pinch, the HB and OFTD could be goosed up a half-part if the proof isn't quite right.

I can see the Mai Kai being OK with a simple mix, of not too many rums in easy ratios. So something like 2:1:1 may be OK, assuming it's within the ballpark in terms of being funky or proofy.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2017-03-26 20:03 ]

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 9:26 pm   Permalink

Time to catch up on the news ...

I just picked up a bottle of Castillo white, and as jokeiii and CincyTikiCraig astutely point out, it indeed tastes remarkably like Bacardi (in a good way). Plastic 1.75L bottle and minimal info on the label, I suspect it's Barcardi's way of getting rid of extra product and/or writing it off their books somehow. I need to do further tasting and compare it to some other basic white rums, as well as Bacardi's higher end whites, but I can see that it makes perfect sense for The Mai-Kai to use.

I made some progress on the Kohala Bay front. I'll post more over on the Kohala Bay thread, but basically I eliminated Plantation Dark as a preferred option. It's now #7 (below Appleton Reserve) on my list of subs ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes
Instead, I settled on 6 parts Coruba as the best single rum to mix with O.F.T.D. (6 parts to 1). I'm not sure exactly where that will fall compared to all the other blends that have been proposed, but I aim to find out.

I just scored a bottle of Hamilton Jamaican Black, which is included in many of the new suggested blends, so it's time to get back to work. I plan to mix all of the suggested multi-rum blends and do a blind tasting at some point soon try and come up with a ranking of the blends that come closest to Kohala Bay.

The bigger news are some things actually happening down at The Mai-Kai. This Thursday, as part of the Tiki Bingo event (hosted by the Gumbo Limbo Chapter of the Fraternal Order Of Moai), there will be a special flight of Mai Tais available. According to the Facebook event, "Mai Tai Madness" will include "a tasting of this classic Tiki cocktail as interpreted by three iconic Tiki restaurants: Trader Vic's, Don The Beachcomber, and The Mai-Kai." As far as I know, The Mai-Kai has never offered alternative versions of the Mai Tai. It's just $10 for the flight, but you must be in the Samoa Room and order before 6 p.m. More info here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/239193739883573/

Another opportunity to taste a rare classic happens every Friday, when The Molokai bar now presents "Flashback Friday." According to a post on the official Facebook page, The Mai-Kai will be "breaking out a vintage cocktail from our recipe vault" every month and serving it on Fridays. The April cocktail is the Suffering Bastard, which we enjoyed when it came out of the vault back in 2013. It's been spotted very rarely since then, so this is a great opportunity to sample this classic. I missed the first Friday, but I hope to head down for one or more Fridays this month and report back.

Note that this is original Mai-Kai mixologist Mariano Licudine's own version of the Bastard from the early 1960s. The cocktail was created in the 1940s by noted bartender Joe Scialom at the Long Bar in Cairo, Egypt. Trader Vic also had a popular version, and Mariano's take is similar. It was always an off-menu drink, and as demand waned the recipe laid dormant in The Mai-Kai vault.

Here's the review and tribute recipe from 2013:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/06/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-off-menu-suffering-bastard-was-just-a-mai-tai-with-a-kick/

The Suffering Bastard first returned in March 2013. New photo and update coming soon.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-04-11 21:26 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 10:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-04-11 21:26, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Time to catch up on the news ...

I just picked up a bottle of Castillo white, and as jokeiii and CincyTikiCraig astutely point out, it indeed tastes remarkably like Bacardi (in a good way).

Wait a minute - something tasting like Bacardi white rum and that's a GOOD thing?!?

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 12:10 am   Permalink

I normally wouldn't touch Bacardi's standard white (aka Superior), but at about half the price and having many of the same basic qualities needed in a white Puerto Rican rum, Ron Castillo serves its purpose as a base rum in Mai-Kai cocktails. I also just picked up a bottle of Castillo gold, so I'll soon be putting both to the test.

Bacardi gets a bad rap, IMHO. They do a good job with higher-end rums. Of the whites, I recommend Maestro Gran Reserva and the 89-proof Heritage.
http://www.alcademics.com/2015/05/the-difference-between-all-those-bacardi-white-rums.html

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-04-16 00:10, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Bacardi gets a bad rap, IMHO. They do a good job with higher-end rums. Of the whites, I recommend Maestro Gran Reserva and the 89-proof Heritage.
http://www.alcademics.com/2015/05/the-difference-between-all-those-bacardi-white-rums.html

I wholeheartedly agree on the Heritage a/k/a "1919". Here in Miami I served some to a bunch of old Cuban guys (celebrating the death of Fidel) and their unanimous reaction was "Now THIS is the Bacardi I remember." At $1 more than the superior, it's a no-brainer. It's my go-to for daiquiris, mojitos, etc.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 8:46 pm   Permalink

A few Mai-Kai moments during Miami Rum Festival

On Wednesday, I was honored to be among these fine Florida artists ...

From left: Tom Fowner, Will Anders, Rod North, Hurricane Hayward, Jeff Chouinard

I never get tired of a peek at the rum collection in the back bar ...

I've never seen that full bottle of Dagger before. Apparently the shelves were recently cleaned and the bottles rearranged.

Suffering Bastard on Flashback Friday ...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation