FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 3:30 pm   Permalink

The Mai-Kai's head mixologist, Troy Gallant, will be competing tomorrow night (Feb. 20) against some of the top Tiki bars and bartenders from across the country at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival. The Mai-Kai's competition includes Lost Lake (Chicago), Tiki Mondays With Miller (New York City), Frankie’s Tiki Room (Las Vegas), Royal Kona Resort (Hawaii), The Rum Line (Miami Beach), and The Broken Shaker (Miami Beach).

Here's a full preview of The Art of Tiki: A Cocktail Showdown, hosted by Emeril Lagasse and featuring guest judges Jeff “Beachbum” Berry and Martin Cate ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/02/19/bam-its-tiki-time-at-the-south-beach-wine-food-festival/

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 12:57 am   Permalink

The Mai-Kai did not win, but a good time was had by all at The Art of Tiki: A Cocktail Showdown at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival. Congrats to Judge’s Choice winner Brian Miller and and People’s Choice winner The Broken Shaker.

Judges Martin Cate and Beachbum Berry enjoy The Mai-Kai's Molokai Swizzle.

The Mai-Kai was represented by manager Kern Mattei (left) and mixologist Troy Gallant.

More photos on The Week in Tiki thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=48724&forum=1&start=15

Full coverage and recap to come.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 01:01 am   Permalink

Great turnout tonight for the "secret cocktail" party. For the first time in who knows how long, The Mai-Kai served a lot of Singapore Slings ...

Full coverage of the event ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/02/21/three-classic-lost-cocktails-drop-in-for-a-night-of-flights-at-the-mai-kai/

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 10:48 pm   Permalink

The Mai-Kai’s Kern Mattei and Troy Gallant are busy preparing the Molokai Swizzle.

Here's the full recap of “The Art of Tiki: A Cocktail Showdown” hosted by Emeril Lagasse at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival, plus a tribute recipe for The Mai-Kai's Molokai Swizzle:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/02/19/bam-its-tiki-time-at-the-south-beach-wine-food-festival/

It was a rare opportunity for Troy Gallant to step out from behind the back bar and into the spotlight. Though the Molokai Swizzle didn't take home the top prize (congrats to Brian Miller and The Broken Shaker), it was near the top of several ballots and was No. 1 on my informal ranking. Great classic ingredients and perfectly balanced. Here's the direct link to the recipe:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/02/19/bam-its-tiki-time-at-the-south-beach-wine-food-festival/#molokai-siwzzle

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 4:58 pm   Permalink

Chelsea wants Moonkist Coconut tonight and I might as well give this one a go. Any recommendations for a Morgan black substitute? I've got the regular kind and Kraken as my spiced options. Maybe a couple others buried deep in the pantry as well.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 5:09 pm   Permalink

Scratch that, it's Sailor Jerry I have, not Capt Morgan. Here's my vast spiced collection that I always tend to forget about...

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 11:20 pm   Permalink

Mike,

Kraken or Calico Jack are probably your best bets. It needs to be a dark spiced rum.

Also, FYI, due to popular demand I've updated the Rum Barrel review with revised recipe instructions (pulse blending instead of shaking, among other updates) and a bunch of new photos ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/06/27/the-rum-barrel-the-rodney-dangerfield-of-tropical-drinks/

mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 11:43 am   Permalink

Ended up making three versions of the Moonkist Coconut last night. Will have to save Molokai Swizzle for another night (tonight?).

So I previously reported on the "What are you drinking now" thread that I preferred your Moonkist tribute recipe over the published Mai Kai recipe in Esquire as the rum and coconut proportions were much more balanced and using Cayman Reef, Flor de Cana and Fee's falernum earned the drink a solid 7 on my ten point scale. (I actually keep tabs on most every drink I make, with ratings, ingredients and measurements so if it scores low, I know what I did and can tinker later to try and improve, or if it scores 8 and above, it's something I put into regular rotation). Well since then I picked up Mt Gay Eclipse, Cruzan light and Velvet falernum so I wanted to mess around a bit. I started off making two cocktails, both with Mt Gay and Cruzan, exact proportions of everything, but one with Fee Bros and one with Velvet. While I've been preferring Velvet in many of the spicier drinks I've been gravitating to lately, I had a feeling the sweetness of the Fee's would be the winner in this drink. And by a very slight margin, it was. In a blind taste test Chelsea felt the cocktail with Velvet tasted "boozier," which makes sense since it is a liqueur, but with such a small amount (1/4 oz) I don't think it adds that much actual alcohol content, but may sway the flavor in that direction. So the Fee's won out but the drink wasn't as good as we remembered when we rated it a 7. So I made another one, this time with Fees and the Cayman Reef. It was the best of the three but still not quite on par with the Flor de Cana version. I'm out of Flor de Cana or I would have made one more version to the exact spec that earned it the 7 rating just to verify my initial findings. Looking back over the past couple months, I think a lot of the drinks that I would normally use de Cana as my white aren't quite as good with Cruzan. I figured they would be mostly interchangeable and I think I remember you mentioning at some point that Cruzan is what the Mai Kai uses in their well for white. Is that so? When you make this, what are the rums and falernum you prefer? I'm thinking I need to go back to Flor de Cana as my base white.

[ This Message was edited by: mikehooker 2015-03-01 11:46 ]

wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:15 pm   Permalink

Damn that looks delicious. I'm going to have to try one sometime soon with Plantation and probably El Dorado white and Fee Bros.

Edit: I see this recipe calls for coconut milk, not Lopez or similar, is that right? Not sure where I can get pure coconut milk....

[ This Message was edited by: wupput 2015-03-01 23:37 ]

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 12:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-01 22:15, wupput wrote:
I see this recipe calls for coconut milk, not Lopez or similar, is that right? Not sure where I can get pure coconut milk....

[ This Message was edited by: wupput 2015-03-01 23:37 ]

I made the mistake of using (sweetened) Silk coconut milk from the carton when I made my first Moonkist. Once we found the canned unsweetened kind at Trader Joe's it made all the difference.

I just looked on the coco lopez site and see in addition to the cream of coconut (which I use in Coconauts and Painkillers and would probably make this drink too rich), they make a canned coconut milk. Not sure if that is sweetened or not but I would think an unsweetened kind would be your best bet. It shouldn't be too hard to find in an asian or specialty market. Curious which brand Hayward prefers.

wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Yesterday; 10:10 am   Permalink

Thanks. I'll check out that Trader Joe's brand.

I've found Trader Joe's pineapple juice (not from concentrate) excellent for mixing.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation