FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Scaramouch

Posted: 30 days ago; 06:50 am   Permalink

In many of the Beachbum recipes, it calls for a similar ratio of bitters to Pernod: a dash of Angustura bitters and 6 drops of Pernod. I was trying to figure out how to convert that into a like-measurement ratio, so I could premix the two, put them into a bitters bottle, and then just use it and add two dashes to a cocktail. Seems like it would save having to get out the dropper - especially if you are making 3 or 4 at a time.

Anyone have any experience in premixing Pernod and Angustura Bitters, and if that would be ok to leave on the shelf for awhile?

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 08:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-12-30 23:10, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I always go with drops of Pernod and dashes of bitters. I don't trust my dash hand with the Pernod. At The Mai-Kai, Kern tells me, they use some sort of small bitters bottle for Pernod, but they're trained to use a light touch.

I keep pernod in a sterilized travel size contact solution bottle. Easy to get consistent drops out. I always do one test drop in the sink first to test my squeeze and then put the necessary drops into the shaker/mixing containter before any other ingredients to be safe I don't overshoot.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 09:08 am   Permalink

I have all but abandoned the eyedropper and dispense Pernod out of an empty Ango bottle using the 1 dash = 6 drops rule of thumb. I do allspice dram the same way. If a drink calls for a lighter touch I usually dropper from the bitters bottle.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 12:27 am   Permalink

Scaramouch: That's a good idea in theory, but there are probably too many combinations of Pernod to bitters to make that viable, except for those that call for 1-to-1. The amount of each could vary greatly depending on the drink and the other ingredients.

mikehooker: I really like the inventiveness of using the contact solution bottle.

Sunny&Rummy: You're living on the edge with those dashes of Pernod :>)

FYI, if anyone is interested: There are quite a few dropper bottles available on Amazon for less than $10 ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDU7QI/
http://www.amazon.com/Cocktail-Bitters-Cobalt-Dropper-Bottle/dp/B009WP1SF0/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FHQBHI/
http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Glass-Bottles-Essential-Dropper/dp/B008ZSX42K/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SRRFO/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 11:16 am   Permalink

I just pour into a 1/8 teaspoon for bottles with no drop dispenser.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 11:13 pm   Permalink

Up next, the Shrunken Skull ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/10/mai-kai-cocktail-review-drink-like-a-native-with-the-shrunken-skull/

No major recipe changes, but lots of new info, including three new photos plus the new menu photo. Among the updates:
* I'm going on the record by saying that the ancestor recipe is most likely Don the Beachcomber's Skull & Bones. I've not seen that recipe, but the similarities between the Shrunken Skull and the Tiki Ti's Skull & Bones are too close to deny.
* I give thanks to Blair Reynolds for featuring The Mai-Kai’s Shrunken Skull tribute recipe at Hale Pele.
* The move from Lemon Hart to Gosling’s Black Seal 151 is detailed, along with the my observation that the change did little damage to the drink. It remains very strong, yet rich and flavorful with a punch of spicy and tart notes to balance.
* Also included are a few more recipe tips, including instructions to pulse blend. Plus links to some pomegranate grenadine recipes.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rockydog101
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 28 days ago; 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-01 23:13, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Up next, the Shrunken Skull ...

No major recipe changes, but lots of new info, including three new photos plus the new menu photo. Among the updates:
* I'm going on the record by saying that the ancestor recipe is most likely Don the Beachcomber's Skull & Bones. I've not seen that recipe, but the similarities between the Shrunken Skull and the Tiki Ti's Skull & Bones are too close to deny.
* I give thanks to Blair Reynolds for featuring The Mai-Kai’s Shrunken Skull tribute recipe at Hale Pele.
* The move from Lemon Hart to Gosling’s Black Seal 151 is detailed, along with the my observation that the change did little damage to the drink. It remains very strong, yet rich and flavorful with a punch of spicy and tart notes to balance.
* Also included are a few more recipe tips, including instructions to pulse blend. Plus links to some pomegranate grenadine recipes.

Please don't kill me, but how would this taste with Rose's Grenadine Syrup? I know that syrup is considered garbage, but it's what I have on hand right now.

View Profile of rockydog101 Send a personal message to rockydog101      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 10:45 pm   Permalink

Well, it probably wouldn't taste like it's supposed to taste like. It might be halfway palatable mixed with some Pama Liqueur, but also way too watery. A rich grenadine is pretty essential in this one.

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 27 days ago; 06:33 am   Permalink

I went to the Mai Kai twice last week & can confirm... Hurricane Hayward has some of his tribute recipes bang on target!

The Mai Kai has a slight reputation for inconsistent drink quality according to a few other threads on TC; by applying his recipes with a few tweaks to meet your individual tastes I think its fair to say you can actually get drinks better than at the Mai Kai!

Many thanks to HH, keep em coming

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 11:07 pm   Permalink

Mahalo AdOrAdam! Unfortunately, when making the drinks at home, you'll need to provide your own sarong-clad maidens to serve them to you.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 10:07 pm   Permalink

Tonight, we entered a new era. Just when I was coming to grips with Goslings 151 replacing Lemon Hartt 151, the playing field has changed significantly with the arrival of Hamilton Demerara Overproof 151 and Demerara 86, both distilled by Demerara Distillers Ltd. in Guyana.

151 Swizzle

Jet Pilot

Zombie

Shrunken Skull

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation