FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 08:35 am   Permalink

Kevin, I hear that's a challenge everywhere. I feel kinda guilty, just a smidge, but have admitted here before that I often don't sweat it anymore and use pink because it's so handy. Yes, there is a difference, but "how much" is the issue. Some would say I have really lowered my standards by not worrying about pink versus white, but reality is that there are often other ingredients in drinks which can sway the finished drink flavor profile a whole lot more than my choice of white versus pink. And sometimes, to me, it's all about being able to make a drink on short notice versus going to the store. I should keep some white juice frozen in the same way that I do with some other out-of-season stuff.

Good thought on the bitters to compensate. Let us know how you like it.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-19 20:08, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Interesting story on Don's Mix from Punch, quoting Messrs. Berry, Cate, et al.

http://punchdrink.com/articles/diy-dons-mix-cocktails-recipe/

Thanks for sharing that article as it touches on something I've been wanting to address here. Since citrus is so finicky with flavors changing within days if not hours of squeezing, I never keep a homemade Don's Mix on hand, nor have I bought the BG Reynold's kind as it's pricey and not readily available near me. If a drink calls for 3/4 of Don's Mix, I just squeeze a half ounce of gf and and pour 1/4 oz of cinnamon syrup into my jigger before mixing with the rest of the ingredients. I don't see how that's any different than pre-making the stuff in short lived batches. So it's annoying sometimes when recipes call for Don's Mix rather than just stating the appropriate amount of grapefruit and cinnamon needed.

Quote:

On 2016-06-20 08:35, AceExplorer wrote:
I should keep some white juice frozen in the same way that I do with some other out-of-season stuff.

Per your recommendation, I squoze and froze over 20 ounces of white grapefruit juice into 1/2 ounce cubes a few months ago during the short season, which I believe was a brilliant idea. I still have about 8 cubes left but they're showing signs of freezer burn which worries me as I don't know how that will impact the flavor when I go to use them, which most assuredly will be soon. Have you run into this issue on other citrus you've frozen?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 10 days ago; 07:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-20 12:33, mikehooker wrote:
Per your recommendation, I squoze and froze over 20 ounces of white grapefruit juice into 1/2 ounce cubes a few months ago during the short season, which I believe was a brilliant idea. I still have about 8 cubes left but they're showing signs of freezer burn which worries me as I don't know how that will impact the flavor when I go to use them, which most assuredly will be soon. Have you run into this issue on other citrus you've frozen?

Hey, Mike! I have no freezer burn problems here because I freeze and save each 1-ounce stick wrapped in fold-top sandwich baggies. I can fit three sticks into each baggie and I "roll" each stick so that the three sticks do not touch each other in cold storage. I assume the juice will "age" and lose freshness over time so I periodically discard and re-freeze fresh juice. I have many pounds of Persian limes each year, so no worries with limes. For other less-used juices I try not to over-squeeze and over-freeze. The life of frozen juice is surprisingly good, and it's very hard to tell when a "refresh" is prudent. I need to post some pics, will try to do so soon, I'm pretty slammed.

When I have guests to my bar, and I have advance notice, I try very hard to use fresh fruit and squeeze in front of their eyes. However one of the joys of having a home bar, and using squeeze-and-freeze, is that you find you can be a master of spur-of-the-moment cocktail making. I place a very high value on being johnny-on-the-spot since it's such a pain to run out and shop for fruit when you want a cocktail. Squeeze-and-freeze brings me closer to the speed and readiness of a commercial bar where they get regular deliveries of fruit and have juices very handy. I don't like the thought of having a couple thousand dollars invested in spirits and home bar tools/equipment without the ability to be spontaneous. Squeeze-and-freeze is the answer to those who seek spontaneity for private drinking as well as spur-of-the-moment needs with guests.

I personally have a short list of key tenets for home bartending. Both speed and showmanship are key success factors, among others.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 8:55 pm   Permalink

A few more photos from The Hukilau's Pre-Party at The Mai-Kai ...

Full recap and more photos:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/06/22/the-hukilau-2016-day-1-photo-recap-pre-party-at-the-mai-kai-the-wreck-bar-mermaid-show/

Plus a bonus recipe for the Spicy Hula Girl, created by Kern Mattei and featuring featuring sponsor Rhum Barbancourt ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/06/22/the-hukilau-2016-day-1-photo-recap-pre-party-at-the-mai-kai-the-wreck-bar-mermaid-show/#spicy-hula-girl

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation