FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 12:17 am   Permalink

Shrunken Skull vs. Shrunken Skull:

The verdict: It's a stalemate. Compared head-to-head, it's almost impossible to tell the difference. The Hamilton 151 version has just the slightest amount of extra heat.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 8 days ago; 5:49 pm   Permalink

Hurricane - just tried your tribute to the Mai Kai's 151 Swizzle. Wow!! Just amazing. It immediately became one of my favorites. Not even sure if I want to try the Grog Log version.

The problem though is that I can't get Kohala Bay here in California, as far as I can tell. I'm not even seeing Smith and Cross at Hi Time's website. I used a 3:1 Coruba to El Dorado 12 for this version and it certainly wasn't bad or anything - it was delicious. But I'm not sure if that's getting the flavor profile right or if there's a better alternative.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 7 days ago; 09:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-22 17:49, wupput wrote:
Hurricane - just tried your tribute to the Mai Kai's 151 Swizzle. Wow!! Just amazing. It immediately became one of my favorites. Not even sure if I want to try the Grog Log version.

The problem though is that I can't get Kohala Bay here in California, as far as I can tell. I'm not even seeing Smith and Cross at Hi Time's website. I used a 3:1 Coruba to El Dorado 12 for this version and it certainly wasn't bad or anything - it was delicious. But I'm not sure if that's getting the flavor profile right or if there's a better alternative.

You'd have to have Kohala shipped to California, but it can be had:
http://www.sunsetcorners.com/browse.cfm/kohala-bay-rum-1.75/4,8627.html

RE Smith & Cross: http://www.hitimewine.net/SMITH-and-CROSS-JAMAICA-RUM-750.html

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 7 days ago; 11:53 am   Permalink

Thanks Loki-Tiki. Their search engine is funny - Smith and Cross came up with nothing, but Smith & Cross - yep! I'll pick up a bottle. I've been reading about it and really interested in trying it.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 01:09 am   Permalink

wupput, glad you enjoyed the 151 Swizzle. I've got a possible update coming on that tribute recipe. After tasting it with Hamilton 151 a few times, I realize that it's a little more complex than my last update reflects. It's a bit inconsistent coming out of the bar, unfortunately, but when they nail it, it's amazing. Martin Cate rates it as his favorite at The Mai-Kai:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/09/13/take-5-martin-cate-owner-of-smugglers-cove-in-san-francisco-and-rum-cocktail-maestro/

I'd encourage your to pick up Kohala Bay if you can. The substitution is close, but not quite the same. Also, FYI: Hamilton makes a funky Jamaican rum that's similar to Smith & Cross.

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 6 days ago; 3:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hurricane. I have seen Hamilton's Jamaican at Hi Time Wine. Given a choice between Smith & Cross or Hamilton's Jamaican which would you recommend for those Mai Kai tribute drinks? I'd love to try Kohala Bay but that shipping from FL - ouch.

[ This Message was edited by: wupput 2015-03-24 19:06 ]

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 12:48 am   Permalink

I'd stick with the Smith & Cross / El Dorado combination if you don't have access to Kohala Bay.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation