FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-02 01:35 am   Permalink

Indeed, fresh grapefruit is the way to go.

It's also interesting to note that the Floridita is the only mild drink that contains grapefruit. And there's only one medium (Mara-Amu). But eight drinks on the strong menu use the tart fruit to balance the strong rums, another throwback to Don the Beachcomber.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 29 days ago; 12:45 am   Permalink

A couple special events last week spurred a few updates, one minor and one major:

It wouldn't be a proper Shark Week without a Shark Bite, so I freshened up the review with a new photo and the new menu art:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/17/mai-kai-cocktail-review-what-makes-the-shark-bite-so-jawesome/

I wanted to do something special for National Rum Day, so I rolled out a new tribute recipe for the Rum Julep, which has been in the works for quite a while ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/14/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-only-rum-julep-youll-ever-need-to-know/

I took the opportunity to analyze Mariano Licudine's re-imagining of Donn Beach's original, coming to the conclusion that he was a genius in creating a superior drink with lesser rums by employing some of his secret weapons .... rich honey mix, flavorful juices and yet another appearance of Don's Spices #2 (I think). It's a very rich and spicy drink, the allspice and honey playing off the rums perfectly. One of my favorites from the medium side of the menu.

This also marks a milestone: the 90th Mai-Kai related recipe now listed on the blog. This includes 7 current authentic recipes, 3 retired authentic recipes, 33 ancestor recipes for current drinks, 8 ancestor recipes for retired drinks, 29 tribute recipes for current drinks, and 10 tribute recipes for retired drinks.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/mai-kai-cocktail-recipes/

Still to come: Two more ancestor recipes from "Potions of the Caribbean," plus who knows, maybe a few more tribute recipes.

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation