FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Tiki Pop, Musee du Quai Branley in Paris, France, June 2014
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Pop, Musee du Quai Branley in Paris, France, June 2014
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-30 12:25, AceExplorer wrote:
And it's "Region 2" for Europe, we need "Region 1" or region-free. If it was region-free then our DVD players here might have a chance at playing the European PAL format. I read online that modern players are most often shipped with the ability to read both to simplify production of players made in China.

Or you can get a Universal "All Region" DVD or Blu-Ray Player (I have an Oppo)
these are usually Players made for overseas markets that can play PAL & NTSC format disks.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-06-30 13:35 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 2:02 pm   Permalink

OK here's a few of my photos.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2014-06-30 14:15 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 2:11 pm   Permalink

On the subject of all region DVD players...

Apparently most ARE all region, but are programmed for the area they're being shipped to before leaving the factory. Google DVD hack. There are sites dedicated to finding out the hack codes for DVD players. Usually just 4 or 5 numbers you punch in once you know the "secret" (some button combination to bring up the programming menu). I got one years ago for 20 bucks, hacked it, and have enjoyed many a euro-trash flick not released in the U.S. Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki 2014-06-30 23:25 ]

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 28 days ago; 7:28 pm   Permalink

I came home from Paris with both the Tki Pop book and DVD. The DVD played perfectly on both my home PC and blu-ray player attached to my TV. On the back of the DVD case it does say: DVD 9 - Couleur - NTSC - Audio :Stereo

I really enjoyed this DVD. It has a casual, warm intimate feel to it, as it is mostly footage and interviews of long-time tiki people, mostly filmed in their homes, and little if any footage of the larger Hukilau / Tiki Oasis type events. Among those who appear are Bosko, Otto, Chris Garland, Martin Cate, Sven, The Fisherman, Leroy and Bob, Humuhumu, Bamboo Ben, and Notch. And also the granddaughter of Trader Vics, who showed off a drink recipe flip-file from a 1958 Cuba Trader Vics, which I was quite impressed with

It is not a document of the museum exhibit, but there is plenty of eye candy. Sylvain Bergere and Nathalie Levy-Lang did a good job in producing and making this film, which runs about 52 minutes (France Television was a partner with this) There is a bonus short film, Beachbum Berry's early 1991 short film 'The Secret of Easter Island' The DVD allows you to switch between the English/French language.

Definitely a welcome addition to your Tiki DVD collection.

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 28 days ago; 11:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-30 19:28, ikitnrev wrote:
I came home from Paris with both the Tki Pop book and DVD. The DVD played perfectly on both my home PC and blu-ray player attached to my TV. On the back of the DVD case it does say: DVD 9 - Couleur - NTSC - Audio :Stereo

So there IS an NTSC version. That's good to know. When you purchased it, you had a choice between NTSC and PAL?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 01:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-30 14:11, spy-tiki wrote:
On the subject of all region DVD players...

Apparently most ARE all region, but are programmed for the area they're being shipped to before leaving the factory. Google DVD hack. There are sites dedicated to finding out the hack codes for DVD players. Usually just 4 or 5 numbers you punch in once you know the "secret" (some button combination to bring up the programming menu). I got one years ago for 20 bucks, hacked it, and have enjoyed many a euro-trash flick not released in the U.S. Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki 2014-06-30 23:25 ]

This true, you may already have an all region DVD or Bluray player
you may just need to unlock it to play those disks
here is the website to find out those models & codes (note: not all these players can play PAL disks though)
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo

Posted: 27 days ago; 06:04 am   Permalink

A few more:

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo

Posted: 26 days ago; 06:02 am   Permalink

Video tour from French TV coverage

http://www.bfmtv.com/video/bfmtv/societe/culture-tiki-s-expose-quai-branly-26-06-207523/

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 07:28 am   Permalink

Wow! Thanks for posting that clip.

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 07:33 am   Permalink

Just watched the video. Fantastic job Sven!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 26 days ago; 07:55 am   Permalink

There's some fantastic stuff in there. I wonder:
* How many of the items in the exhibit are covered in the book?
* Who owns those items? Sven? The museum? A lot of different people?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo

Posted: 26 days ago; 08:29 am   Permalink

The book weighs over six pounds (2.8 kg) with 383 pages. It's all in there and more! And as far as who owns what, I guess you all know who you are many items listed as in private collection.

TikiTacky

Posted: 26 days ago; 08:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-02 08:29, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
And as far as who owns what, I guess you all know who you are many items listed as in private collection.

That must have been a monumental task organizing the collection and transportation of items from so many different people. I can only imagine how much work went into it. Thanks to Sven for putting it together, as well as everyone who was involved in loaning items it other capacities. I'm sad I won't get to see the exhibit, but I'll be happy when my book arrives.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 22 days ago; 7:05 pm   Permalink

This link shows a nice little slide show of parts of the exhibition:

http://www.franceinter.fr/emission-escale-estivale-george-r-r-martin-visite-sonore-de-lexposition-tiki-pop-jean-christophe-ruf

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 09:13 am   Permalink

Very cool Sven. Thanks for the link to the photos.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation