FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Early OOH hula girl mug ?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Early OOH hula girl mug ?
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 07:33 am   Permalink

Has anyone else picked one of these up? I came by this mug this weekend. It is quite a bit smaller than the average OOH mugs. Duke has a similar mug shown on page 91 of Tiki Quest. The book states that the mug came in two sizes R-73A and R-73B. The A model being the smaller mug. The one I have has different paint and the image is much more crisp leading me to believe it is an early piece. The mug I have has no number marking. Just wondering if anyone has one of these small mugs they could post a pic of. Might be cool to see the variants that may be out there. I've posted a pic of the hula mug next to an average OOH mug for comparison. Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 11:49 am   Permalink

Uncle T

I have two versions of the smaller mug. One is marked R-73A JAPAN and the other R-73A TAIWAN plus a Made in Taiwan label.

You can see pics on my Ooga Mooga page. From the pic it looks like yours is more detailed.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=1199

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 12:21 pm   Permalink

I can't tell from the pics, but does the glaze have any crazing, or does it look fairly new?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 1:45 pm   Permalink

Trav that was actually the very first mug I found at a thrift store and mine is identical to yours down to the markings on the bottom.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 4:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. No crazing but defiantly an older surface. The cold glaze paint is in beautiful condition. This is a very thin mug as many of the early OOH mugs are. I have noticed that many of the OOH mugs are not numbered. Liz I couldn't pass this up for the price

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-03 4:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-03 16:38, uncle trav wrote:
No crazing but defiantly an older surface.

Definitely, not defiantly-----The Spelling Police

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 5:07 pm   Permalink

You got me!! Stupid spell czech thing

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 5:20 pm   Permalink

Based on the fact that it is marked "Japan", we know it's '60s-early '70s. Orchids later mugs were made in Taiwan. Here are the same 2 mugs from my collection. Mine is actually marked "R73A" & the glaze on it is fresh as a daisy, as well. The detailing on yours looks better than mine, so I would guess yours is older. Nice find, Trav. I've only found 2 of these in all my travels.

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2014-03-03 17:21 ]

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 5:29 pm   Permalink

Here's mine...
The detail on your mug Trav is particularly nice.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-03-03 17:37 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 5:30 pm   Permalink

I want the one to the left, Lance. Is it marked SP?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 5:36 pm   Permalink

yes, the brown Hula Girl mug it is marked SP, Rick
also my Orchids mug is marked R73A Japan.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 5:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all of the input guys. Here is a better shot to show all of the detail. The color is a bit off in this shot.

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 6:10 pm   Permalink

My hula mug is also smaller and I believe the same as yours Trav. Mine is also not marked with an item number on the bottom.

Here is the one in my collection.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 6:21 pm   Permalink

I am just glad you found something to buy

I think I bought mine for $0.99 like 4 years ago. But those were simpler times..haha

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-03 9:35 pm   Permalink

Love this little mug Trav.. I just picked up three last month..
Mine's the Taiwan Version.. Couple pics since that one wasn't shown yet..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation