FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Early OOH hula girl mug ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Early OOH hula girl mug ?
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 11:56 pm   Permalink

Uncle T.
I have the same mug as your hula girl. I too wondered about its smallness. No jokes Lance!
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 12:08 am   Permalink

Damn!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 05:32 am   Permalink

It is strange that they made two sizes of this one mug. Juice mug, kids mug? I wonder how long it took for the molds used to make the mugs to degrade in detail. I'm sure as soon as the mold was ready to go that they pumped out thousands at a time. Most early mugs of any company have nice detail that gets very bad in the later mugs.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-04 05:32, uncle trav wrote:
It is strange that they made two sizes of this one mug. Juice mug, kids mug? I wonder how long it took for the molds used to make the mugs to degrade in detail. I'm sure as soon as the mold was ready to go that they pumped out thousands at a time. Most early mugs of any company have nice detail that gets very bad in the later mugs.

I have kind of a theory about that. Everybody probably knows of the tiki salt and pepper shakers they used to sell at Walgreens a few years back? Well, once my wife took mine off of my high-top table to use and didn't put them back. One of them got shanghi'ed by my then 2 year old daughter and broken. The next season (they seemed to show up just about springtime every year, I went to purchase a couple more. Got them home and they were considerably smaller and less detailed than the ones before. What I figured happened is that they didn't have the original to make a mold of, so they made the mold of an exsisting shaker. The original figure that the original mold was probably bigger than the shakers to allow for shrinkage during fireing in the kiln. The new shakers shrunk down smaller than the originals and with less detail. May be what happened to the mug also.....later mugs made from a mold made from an original mold, thus shrunk smaller than original. Anyway, it's a theory.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 12:47 pm   Permalink

I think you've nailed it there howlinowl.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 2:18 pm   Permalink

If a remold was the case it's strange that the smaller mug was designated the R73-A and the larger mug R73-B. Anyone have a pic of the larger mug? From the photo in Tiki Quest it looks as though the hula girl on the larger mug does not have a lei around her ankle as the girl on the smaller mug does

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pikeys Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-04 2:19 pm   Permalink

Moulded items are usually 10% smaller than the item that you take the cast off.

This is mainly due to the clay slip shrinking as it dries out.

View Profile of Pikeys Dog Send a personal message to Pikeys Dog  Goto the website of Pikeys Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 2:49 pm   Permalink

Here is my big hula girl

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-04 14:18, uncle trav wrote:
If a remold was the case it's strange that the smaller mug was designated the R73-A and the larger mug R73-B. Anyone have a pic of the larger mug? From the photo in Tiki Quest it looks as though the hula girl on the larger mug does not have a lei around her ankle as the girl on the smaller mug does

I don't know if my theory holds true in this case or not. Could be that they produced the large mug, and was still using the original mold when they decided to ramp up production with a 2nd mold. Discovered that the new mold made smaller mugs and added the A and B suffex to the end of the model number at that time using "A" for the smaller and "B" for the larger (because if you had a restaurant and wanted to purchase the larger ones to match exsisting inventory....you'd assume that "B" is bigger than "A". Wouldn't have needed to differentiate between the sizes until they were produced.

Just like my "Die Nasty Wholesale" scorpion bowl (I always wanted to type that). Here it is in ooga-mooga:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=663

Not very detailed. But it is very similar in design to this:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=2912

Orchids of Hawaii. Maybe "Die Nasty Wholesale" purchased a Orchids of Hawaii bowl and pulled a cast off it???

Once again, I could be blowing this all out of my...... but with the extensive "borrowing" of menu images and such, it wouldn't surprise me if a few "bootlegs" of exsisting bowls were made.

Wish I still had the Walgreen's shakers to take pics of to show size and detail differences...

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 5:37 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation