FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Smuggler's Cove: The Book
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Smuggler's Cove: The Book
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-05 21:56, swizzle wrote:
What a great book. Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago and i should have well and truly finished it by now but i am taking my time reading several pages a day. It covers so many topics so well and is very easy to read.
And the way Martin has categorised the rums is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. It just really sucks how few of the entire amount of rums he has listed are actually available here and those that are, are really expensive. Thankfully Coruba is one that seems to be used quite a lot and that is one of the cheaper rums on the market here and is also found pretty much everywhere. Time to re-stock my bar and make some of the drinks.

Now just a question. I've just landed on the Mai Tai pages and was curious to know if the bottle pictured on page 260 is the actual rum that Vic used for the original recipe. And by actual rum, i mean with that particular label, i know it's not going to be THAT exact bottle.

There is a note on page 264 that the only known bottle in the world is, in fact, owned by the author of the book and is in the photo on page 260.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 10:02 am   Permalink

Finally got my copy of SC book and the Cate's really did a terrific job on the content & overall presentation. Very much like the school textbook size of the edition A+ (-:

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 11:38 am   Permalink

Ditto Thor. Got my book on a good deal a couple of weeks ago on Amazon. Great read. Last night I was thinking about what a great cover Smugglers has: classic mysterious and dangerous looking tiki image, dark background, which all takes one to tiki land but at the same time there is the reality that, although a great image it's really a small replica and on further observation. It's a tiki mug filled with a tantalizing drink of some kind. All Great and simple symbols of "Tiki Style". In other words that cover really entices or dares me to enter. Enter the book, a bar or restaurant or to enter the tiki world itself. Good job.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki

Posted: 8 days ago; 07:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-24 07:30, JenTiki wrote:
Is this starting to happen to anybody else's book?

Yep, and I bet your fridge looks like mine too :

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 08:59 am   Permalink

That's awesome

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki

Posted: 7 days ago; 09:55 am   Permalink

I've only gone so far as to make the Demerara and Honey syrups so far, but I'm sure more will come.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: Yesterday; 09:41 am   Permalink

Looks like the book is already out of print!

Thankfully I already bought one for myself and two extras as gifts for friends. The other night I convinced another friend to pick it up and he went on Amazon to order and saw that it was sold out! Wow, that didn't take long. Anyone know how many were printed and if a second run is slated to come out soon? For how much acclaim it's receiving I can't imagine the publisher wouldn't make it available again right away.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 09:54 am   Permalink

I bought mine from Barnes and Noble on line at a discounted price.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: Yesterday; 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-28 09:54, hiltiki wrote:
I bought mine from Barnes and Noble on line at a discounted price.

Good to know. Just checked and it's $17.85 from B&N. I guess just Amazon is out.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki

Posted: Yesterday; 11:24 am   Permalink

I just checked with Martin on the Amazon status. It was the first he'd heard about them being sold out. He's checking into it. I'll update this post if/when I hear back from him, but I've let him know inquiring minds are asking, so he may post here himself.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation