Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Bourbon
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Bourbon
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-04 3:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-04 07:53, AceExplorer wrote:
Tossing in my two cents here for what it's worth. I recently conducted an experiment with a friend and two rye whiskies. I know the thread title is "bourbon" but this may be helpful or useful to someone out there.

Bulleit Rye vs Jim Beam Rye in a Sazerac. We love Sazeracs and found that the "cheap" Jim Beam Rye outperformed the Bulleit Rye by a mile. We were quite surprised. He was bummed that he bought the Bulleit - it was that dramatic. Others on the web have also given Jim Beam Rye pretty good marks, something I never expected to see.

High West Rye is also pretty surprising - a darned good whiskey.

Old Overholt

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-04 5:00 pm   Permalink

For mixing and even straight I like Evan Williams Black. Also 4 roses is great for the $$

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 9:43 pm   Permalink

I'll second the nomination for Evan Williams Black as a very good budget bourbon, for both mixing and sipping. Been using it for a long time as my regular (non special occasion) bourbon. I recently have tried a number of other bourbons in the same price range, and am only more convinced that EV Black is an exceptional value.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-14 07:21 am   Permalink

I'd like to reiterate - try the Evan Williams Single Barrel 2014 - It's a fantastic 10 year bourbon for under $25.

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-17 10:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-14 07:21, Destro100 wrote:
I'd like to reiterate - try the Evan Williams Single Barrel 2014 - It's a fantastic 10 year bourbon for under $25.

how is evan williams single barrel compared to jim beam's single barrel.i was lookin for a cheaper alternative to the jim beam because it sounded good but i dont wanna pay 35 bucks for it

View Profile of Jay4 Send a personal message to Jay4      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-17 1:19 pm   Permalink

I find the Evan Williams Single Barrel to be a step up over the Jim Beam. The aroma and overall flavor seems more refined and enjoyable. Cheaper too!

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maitai Mike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-20 5:25 pm   Permalink

If you can find "Larceny" it is outstanding at a reasonable price.

View Profile of Maitai Mike Send a personal message to Maitai Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-21 09:12 am   Permalink

Distribution can be a bit spottier but some you might want to consider include the Evan Williams BIB, Old Grandad BIB, Heaven Hill six year BIB, and Ancient Age 10 Star(which is not quite as good as the discontinued ten year, but still good). These are all cheap enough that you could buy the lot to mess around with and not be out more than $70 or so.

View Profile of Dan Send a personal message to Dan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-21 6:54 pm   Permalink

actually what does this mean,ive had wild turkey's 101 but ive never drank the 81 proof

"Unlike other whiskies, which lose flavor when mixed with other ingredients, Eddie Russell’s Wild Turkey 81 gives drinkers “an everyday whiskey that can stand up to any mixer or in any cocktail with the bold, in-your-face taste that is distinctively Wild Turkey.”

i always figured when mixing it with stuff like coca cola or other pop's.it all tasted the same,wild turkey's 101 is good though

View Profile of Jay4 Send a personal message to Jay4      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation