Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Mokupuni Lounge
Mokupuni Lounge
BayIslander
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-09 2:30 pm   Permalink

Living in a cramped condo for 9 years, my collection of rattan furniture, hula lamps, mugs and general tiki and hawaiiana was tragically ensconced in a storage unit for years. Until 2012 when my wife and I bought a modest midcentury house that, unlike anything I've ever seen in the Bay Area, had a FULL BASEMENT!

Here's the real estate flyer image of the basement room that would become the Mokupuni Lounge:

Yep, a good friend described the room as pretty creepy. But that didn't deter me. I finally had a space for me and my tiki collection to live and drink!

A note on a couple of the gems from my collection: I found the bent leg bar stools at a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store in San Mateo in 2001 on my lunch hour for … wait for it … $6 a piece. I played Tetris getting them into my 92 civic back seat and made it back to work just in time.

The low mid-century chairs were sitting in the rain in Twin Peaks (SF) around 1998 when I rescued them and then refinished. My mom made the cushions with piping, etc. The Bali Hai man stoner painting was a gift from a generous fellow tiki nut.

Here are just a few snapshots of the evolution over the last couple of years.

Cheers!

View Profile of BayIslander Send a personal message to BayIslander      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 4:42 pm   Permalink

Hi BayIslander & welcome to Tiki Central!

Love your bargain finds. Grab some tiki statues and you'll be good to go.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 5:18 pm   Permalink

Looks great! I pretty much live in my basement lounge!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 5:58 pm   Permalink

Looks cozy! I hope if you are in Alameda you go to Forbidden Island

Really great space you have there!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BayIslander
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-09 6:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. Sorry the pictures are a bit blurry. Eventually my goal is to cover the walls and the ceiling with lauhala and bamboo trim a la Bamboo Ben's work, but first I have to have the ceiling tiles tested for asbestos!

And, yeah, I make it over to Forbidden Island every chance I get! Viva Alameda!

View Profile of BayIslander Send a personal message to BayIslander      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-09 18:48, BayIslander wrote:

And, yeah, I make it over to Forbidden Island every chance I get! Viva Alameda!

Then I am sure I have sat next to ya!

Tomorrow (Monday the 10) is the Black Barrel Rum Release party starting at 7pm. Free rum tasting

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 8:53 pm   Permalink

Bayeye, You’re on your way! Looking pretty cool. Regarding your photos “a bit blurry” That comes with the territory when you’re a tikiphreak. Welcome to you.
Keep posting pix of the Mokupuni.

Sandra,
I’m anxious to hear your opinion of the “Black barrel” Wish I could be there-show YOU how to drink!
David

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-09 11:44 pm   Permalink

Great job...it looks good. Your Mom did a nice job on the cushions. I love that Mar. Bali Hai painting. See ya around and welcome to TC.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 03:36 am   Permalink

Very cool looking bar. Very envious that you've got a basement to fully kit out.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 07:55 am   Permalink

All is looking good...what is the story on the painting above left of the tv ? Looks vintage with palms...very interesting ...- I be nosey !

[ This Message was edited by: hottiki 2014-03-10 08:14 ]

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 09:50 am   Permalink

wow, what an awesome space!! love the wood paneling too!!! A basement in California ? Unheard of !!!! lol cant wait to see more pix!!! looks like a really fun space to decorate, of course, you'll never be done!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BayIslander
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-10 6:26 pm   Permalink

Hottiki - Unfortunately, I don't have any provenance for the painting above the TV. It's unmarked but an original oil as far as I can tell. I found it at a great local consignment store (Urban Island) in Alameda. I'll take a better picture of just the painting and post it soon.

Cheers!
Jon

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 9:54 pm   Permalink

Very cool!! Nice space.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BayIslander
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-29 2:06 pm   Permalink

Thank you Vampiress! I passed along your compliment to my Mom on the upholstery.

Here are a couple more images:

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation