FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Tiki Battle Station!
Tiki Battle Station!
Moai_Maniac

Posted: 2014-03-12 9:22 pm   Permalink

Long long LOOOONG time lurker ... but after years of dreaming I finally got around to doing my first Tiki updo.. Been planning on doing up my home office years.. basically based off of a Tiki office I saw some time ago I believe from Bamboo Ben.. if memory serves it was someone's office at Pixar

for those that are Tiki purists ..like I've seen in some posts.. afraid that is not going to happen in this room as I like my Japanese robots and comic books far too much .. and I'm far too fond of my computer desk..

So The Green I found that matched the above pic was Martha Stewart's Basil .. OMG I have Martha Stewart in my house..

here are a couple before photos..

UNGH textured white ceilings.. I really really wanted a Tiki bar with a white ceiling though!!!... but I HATE popcorn!!!

After FINALLY my Bac bac matting arrives from Forever Bamboo.. here we are treating it with our Flame stop in the garage.. yes there's a foot of snow right outside the door so it's FREEZING ..

putting up the framing for the bamboo border along the wall..

two inch half round sections for the wall.. we ordered 3" and 4" half rounds as well but Forever mixed up our order and sent us a couple packages of 4 inch half round and OMG they are HUGE so we ended up using just the 2" for the entire project ..

the Half round sections going into the framing ..

Bac Bac matting going up .. WOWO this is some VERY stinky stuff .. def do not care for the smell but after applying a coating of varithane sating sealer over it the smell seems to be less.. so hopefully the smell will go away over time..

aaaand ok I'm skipping a BUNCH of steps but here is our somewhat finished product ..

so did a lot of micro work with a dremel router attachment only to find the fantasia ceiling fan pretty much blocks it all out unless you really really look hard.. so the little ceiling pendant I did is mostly hidden :/

also apparently due to some regulations light kits only come with these horrible candelabra lights any more.. so had to pull part the fan and change out the sockets to it would work with HD CFL bulbs...

still have some wall space to decorate as well :0 perhaps a nice puffer fish lamp or some nautical lighting..

OK.. well that's it so far.. anxious to hear your comments...

View Profile of Moai_Maniac Send a personal message to Moai_Maniac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 10:10 pm   Permalink

Looks nice so far!

Are you also a tiki collector--i.e. masks, mugs, etc--or are you going for a more tropical theme?

Bamboo Ben is actually in town this week (Emeryville, CA) working on that office at Pixar. Glad you found some inspiration!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 10:34 pm   Permalink

Looks cool! Coming along great, but where do you serve mai tais in a home office?

I really like the ceiling pendant... are you planning to do more details like that in other places in the room?

Thanks for posting... welcome to Tiki Central!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 11:37 pm   Permalink

Check out Tikiskip's,Kahaka's & TikiPops lights here on TC
a few would really bring it home!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 08:32 am   Permalink

wow, that's an awesome build!!!!! it looks totally professional too!!! great job!!! cant wait to see more!!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 7:09 pm   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central. Thanks for posting.

Love your tiki office. The entrance is AMAZING! You're off to an excellent start. I think you need a few more tikis. (Everyone, pretty much, can use more tikis.)

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 7:32 pm   Permalink

Like the green, reminds me of another cool room I've seen around here somewhere
Looks good, but if that was my office I wouldn't get any work done.
Have fun and cheers

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-16 5:40 pm   Permalink

Very impressive, the green is fabulous and the bamboo is gorgeous. Nice job on the ceiling too. Looking forward to more pictures of your work.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-16 8:44 pm   Permalink

do it... nice

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-16 9:00 pm   Permalink

That is very cool. I like it.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-17 11:28 am   Permalink

Impressive!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MissClaireTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-27 10:32 am   Permalink

Wow! This is the coolest office I've ever seen. It looks like a lot of work and great job

[ This Message was edited by: MissClaireTiki 2014-03-27 10:33 ]

View Profile of MissClaireTiki Send a personal message to MissClaireTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-07 08:59 am   Permalink

I want your office!!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation