Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Pernod Help
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Pernod Help
Tiki Mdn

Posted: 2014-03-14 12:03 pm   Permalink

I am trying to stock up my home bar but have a question about Pernod. In jeff berry books it call for drops of Pernod, however when I went to the liqour store I see they have 2 different ones. One I believe is pastil and is around $30 while the other is absente or something and is about $60. My question is which one should I be using in my dropper bottle. Any help is greatly appreciated

View Profile of Tiki Mdn Send a personal message to Tiki Mdn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-14 12:08 pm   Permalink

Pernod is also a name brand. Pernod Ricard.

You want
this stuff.

You can also use Herbsaint, which is what I use now.

Find the smallest bottle possible. You are going to use it very slowly. I have been making these drinks for a decade and am on my second bottle and the first was like 500ml!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mdn

Posted: 2014-03-14 12:19 pm   Permalink

This is the bottle I am seeing is this correct? If so again there are 2 different ones with basically the same label. One just say pastil while the other says absente and is $30 more. I attached a picture of the bottle.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Mdn 2014-03-14 12:20 ]

View Profile of Tiki Mdn Send a personal message to Tiki Mdn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mdn

Posted: 2014-03-14 12:26 pm   Permalink

Ok I didn't see your link at first. So it's the pastis, that's good that's the cheaper one. Thank for your quick help.

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-14 12:45 pm   Permalink

Pernod has a strong licorice flavor. Very, VERY strong. A lot of people who try it don't like it or find it's too easy to overpower a drink. Personally I hate licorice so, although I may not be making some drinks historically accurate, I leave it out.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-14 1:48 pm   Permalink

Pernod is used to add dimension to a drink, like bitters do. If you leave it out, you're throwing off the balance.

Unless you're making something like a Zula or a Dr. Funk, you're not gonna taste licorice. But it is powerful; use a dropper.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-14 6:39 pm   Permalink

Here's a good thread talking about the Perils of Pernod: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12910&forum=10&hilite=Pernod

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 06:27 am   Permalink

This is another use for the old bitters bottles. Clean it well then fill it with Pernod/Herbsaint. Now you can use it to measure out small drops. NOT dashes as with bitters. I am not a fan of the licorice and my wife really doesn't like it, so I keep it well under the radar and this method helps a lot. Much easier than an eye dropper or other method. It delivers very tiny amounts you can count and control.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 1:46 pm   Permalink

I simply use a 1/8 teaspoon measure, which is approx a dash.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 2:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-15 13:46, thePorpoise wrote:
I simply use a 1/8 teaspoon measure, which is approx a dash.

Actually, 1/8 tsp is exactly a dash. 1/16 tsp is a pinch, and 1/32 tsp is a smidgen.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 3:06 pm   Permalink

how bout drops? i always thought a dash = approx 3-4 drops.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-16 3:29 pm   Permalink

A technique I have seen used for the liquors used for coating the glass (common with Pernod, Absinthe, etc) is to load it into a mini sprayer and give it a hit or two so that you get better coverage without having to pour some down the drain.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-17 06:41 am   Permalink

My two cents: get the cheaper bottle, and do not leave the Pernod out! I'm not a big fan of Absinthe/Ouzo/Sambuca, but just a small amount of Pernod called for in the classic Donn Beach drinks (Zombie,Jet Pilot, etc) makes a CRUCIAL difference in the flavor profile.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-17 11:44 am   Permalink

I think pernod represents one of the 'final frontiers' in tiki drinks. I say one of the 'final frontiers' because they are of lots of little things to master!

I first started out trying pernod in drinks like Doctor Funk & the Test Pilot - I approximated the pernod using teaspoons & the like, these drinks were difficult. After this I finally got an eye dropper & 1/8th teaspoon measure spoon, using pernod got a lot easier. I wouldn't recommend using pernod without these!

The first drink I found with pernod in that I liked was the Montego Bay. On paper the Montego Bay is not too dissimilar to many other drinks but the the honey / pimento / pernod combo crowns the drink.

NB: in my initial attempts I was able to 'cover up' my over pernod pouring by adding extra honey mix.

I regularly use pernod now & think it's better to use less than required when trying out a new drink. I usually add half the amount the recipe requires & taste before adding a bit more.

Drinks that I quite like with it in include: the Montego Bay, Jet Pilot, 1934 Zombie & the Beachcomber Rum Barrel.

I think the intended use of pernod is not to add sufficient amount to create a 'pernod' flavour, more enough to tip the balance & make you wonder 'what is that?'. I think when used correctly it gives a 'icy cold' sensation to a drink rather than a dominant flavour.

I agree with all comments saying 'get a small bottle'. I tend to steer clear of substituting pernod for absinthe (& visa versa), I just have pernod & absinthe in my home bar.

A little spray bottle of absinthe really works well, especially if you are making Sazeracs or Corpse Reviver No2s

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2014-03-17 11:45 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mamelukkikala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-17 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-15 06:27, Swanky wrote:
This is another use for the old bitters bottles. Clean it well then fill it with Pernod/Herbsaint. Now you can use it to measure out small drops. NOT dashes as with bitters. I am not a fan of the licorice and my wife really doesn't like it, so I keep it well under the radar and this method helps a lot. Much easier than an eye dropper or other method. It delivers very tiny amounts you can count and control.

This is what I do. Very handy and fast. Though I don't measure 6 drops, I just add a dash. I think it's fine and not overpowering for me. It's also good to have some Pimento Dram in an old bitters bottle since some drinks call for it like 1/4tsp which would be 2 dashes. Making a Montego Bay has never been easier.

View Profile of mamelukkikala Send a personal message to mamelukkikala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation