FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Caliente Tropics, Palm Springs, CA (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Caliente Tropics, Palm Springs, CA (hotel)
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 09:30 am   Permalink

good news I guess. I mean the Mex food that I had was killer.
But I'd be happy to see it go only if the resturaunt was done up all tropical/polynesian style of course.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:02 pm   Permalink

We swung by the Tropics a few weeks ago just to poke around.

I knew that Hawaiian Bill's was gone, but we also found out that La Casita was also closing down as of January 31st.

Here's the old sign from The Reef. Took this one in 2002.

They've removed the front which revealed the old Congo Room sign.

By the way, while making sure that this post wasn't terribly redundant, I came across this heartbreaking thread by Tangaroa.
Tropics Slideshow

Please join me in mourning the loss of these pictures.

Tangaroa - If you're out there, I'm sure many people would love to see this thread restored.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:46 pm   Permalink

TikiKate,

Great photo of the old Congo Room sign. It's amazing that it was still there behind the old Reef Lounge sign. Here is a link to some images Bigbrotiki posted on the Congo Room.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27233&forum=17&vpost=379383&hilite=congo%20room

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 12:13 pm   Permalink

I picked up and old oversized postcard from the Tropics in Palm Springs.

A view of the A-Frame

The pool area with Tikis.

The purple-ness of the Congo Room.

This is something you don't see very often, a view of the Wine Cellar at the Tropics. Check out the cave roof!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 12:38 pm   Permalink

Nice score DC, I have been looking for that PC for ages .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-12 01:14 am   Permalink

Indeed, never seen that one! Here are some more nice shots of "The Cellar" Bar:

And here's Woohoo's photo of the filled-in downstairs entrance to this mysterious archeological site, unearthed by the recent renovation work:

Let's get some shovels and dig!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-18 11:20 am   Permalink

and this ?

...SOMEBODY that lives in the area has to help them out with this !...a tapa pattern ...ANYTHING but THIS! lol

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIVILLE 2011-07-18 11:33 ]

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 10:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2011-07-18 11:20, TIKIVILLE wrote:

Does this photo indicate that the lobby has moved to "the Tropics" space?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-22 7:18 pm   Permalink

Yes, the lobby HAS in fact re-located to the Tropics space, though it no longer looks as it does in that photo.

I was just there today and spoke with the friendly desk-manager, Michael, who told me that the lobby is now permanently located in what was the former "art gallery" section of the Tropics restaurant, and a very nice looking lobby it is, with red and earth tones predominating, with a variety of tikis and tiki wall-art in abundant evidence, and an overall vibe that is a synthesis of MCM and Tiki, ala Shag.

However, there's a cavernous empty feel to the rest of the space, especially where all the restaurant booths sit forlornly empty and unused in an otherwise white, featureless space.

And when I asked about the bar (not currently in operation and with what looked like a shower curtain blocking the entrance!), Michael told me the plans were to have it up and running by the first of the year. (Well, we can always hope -- but for WHAT, given the bar's recent history?)

Anyway, it's sad that for a place with such a rich history and so much remaining POTENTIAL, it always seems to be limping along with small improvements and changes made at a snail's pace. However, with all its ups and downs over the years, the Caliente Tropics still should not be allowed to die a slow, ignominious death. Of course, in the current economy I suppose it's impressive enough that the place is still open for business at all!

Cheers

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 04:23 am   Permalink

Found a matchbook cover to this wonderful historical place that does not seem to be posted. Here is some tiki love for the Tropics.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 9:13 pm   Permalink

I am Glad they fixed the A frame up front,but I am still shocked by how the rest of the place looks. If you look a little deeper then the basics of the great pool area it seems like the rest of the place is falling apart.

This tiki says it all.......photo 1 2008 (Tiki Caliente 1) Photo 2 2010 (Tiki Caliente 2) Photo 3 Yesterday

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ This Message was edited by: wildsville man 2012-03-26 21:31 ]

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 9:28 pm   Permalink

A clear case of Tiki-Zombification, I'd say!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TxTikiGirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-29 1:36 pm   Permalink

Just stayed here last week and was surprised by the restaurant/bar space. Not tiki but looked swanky-esque. I asked when the restaurant/bar would be ready. They said it's ready, been ready, just needs someone to rent/run the space. Said whomever rents it has to run the restaurant and the bar. They've had people that wanted to run the bar but not the restaurant. They have new management and have had several inquiries about the restaurant in the last couple of weeks. Soooo we'll see what comes of that.

When you pull into the parking lot the little bldg on the left, I'm assuming old lobby(?), was all ripped up. She said they're turning it into a gym. When I'm tiki-ing I'm not thinking about treadmills but that's just me talkin'.

Enjoyed seeing all the tikis and the landscaping looked good. Wished there was some music playing while we floated in the pool though. I mean some lady had her iPad out there playing Poison, but not really what we had in mind.

Just as the sun started going down, the misters in the reef bar came on....wasn't that hot and no one in the bar, but ok.

We also stayed at the Orbit In down the street. They don't have a bar or liquor license but they give out free drinks at 5 everyday. Caliente Tropics should totally do something like that! Free Mai Tais at 5 who's in?
I'm preaching to the choir I know. I suggested that to the front desk girl, she just shrugged her shoulders, like I dunno, I guess, sounds cool.

Overall I liked it just wish it had a little more life to it. I get the same feeling when I stay at a La Qunita. Ya just check in, take a swim if ya want, go to bed. A bar and restaurant would definitely add some life.

Some images of the hotels days of yore hung around the lobby would be cool. There's no info on the history of the place. I saw something like this at Hotel Valley Ho in Phoenix. I thought it was pretty cool.

Also weird there was no notepad or pen in the hotel room. First time I've seen that...err haven't seen that. Wished it had some kind of guest directory in the room.

I took some pics of the restaurant and bar that I plan on posting.

So who wants to pool their money and get that restaurant and bar up and running???

[ This Message was edited by: TxTikiGirl 2012-05-29 13:38 ]

View Profile of TxTikiGirl Send a personal message to TxTikiGirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-20 9:59 pm   Permalink

Good to hear about the refurbishment. An August 2012 review on TripAdvisor indicates that there are no operators for the diner yet.

Here's hoping someone invests in it, although I can understand that the bar is lower overhead with higher potential profit. Also, in the next block or so East, an established Japanese (I think) restaurant closed, so I could understand that one would could think this location would face the same challenges and want to invest in an eatery located in the village, with its foot traffic. On a brighter note, it seems poised to be a tropical-themed wedding reception venue.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2012-08-20 22:12 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 4:13 pm   Permalink

Picked up this ad from 1964.

A question for Rory?

The ad has a rare reference to the Pico-Rivera Tropics - Never seen a piece of paper from this place.

And a matchbook with a different outrigger logo.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation