FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kona coffee?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kona coffee?
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-23 4:46 pm   Permalink

Hi all

Ive spotted quite a few drinks reciepes call for Kona coffee, it's fair to say I know very little about Kona coffee!

I found out a few bits but thought it'd be better to throw out the net to TC:

What do you know about Kona coffee?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-23 4:53 pm   Permalink

It is just a Coffee Bean & brand grown in Hawaii, pretty good too &
very close to a French Roast, you can substitute any Vienna or French Roast coffee
in those drinks if you don't have access to Kona Coffee in the UK

I don't think it will make any real difference in taste.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-23 5:23 pm   Permalink

no expert, but I have found Kona to be an expensive, mild, smooth, buttery flavored coffee. in a kona blend, who knows how much kona you're actually getting, likely blended with standard colombian arabica.

to me kona's nuances would not likely be discernable in a cocktail.

i use a cuban-style blend coffee in cocktails.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-23 8:01 pm   Permalink

I happen to like Kona coffee and I can't drink French Roast coffee because it is too acidic and has a strong flavor. I made Karakatoa, which Destro had recommended in his thread with both coffees, French and Kona. There was a big difference in flavor, I liked Kona much better in this drink, the flavor blended in so much smoother than the French Roast. I think there is a reason why Beachbum Berry recommends this brand in his recipe.

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2014-03-23 20:01 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-23 11:18 pm   Permalink

Kona is a region, same plants as Blue Mountain and other varieties, but the climate and soil will impart different flavors. As such, it can be roasted in any style as well as sold green. Typically, since it has a lower total volume to work with, the most common styles are the full-city and French roasts.

You actually can get Kona in the UK. Fortnum and Mason (and South Korea) buys way too damn much of it from Greenwell Farms.

If good quality Kona is out of your price range, do not try the cheaper Kona that places sell, that often tastes like overpriced Folgers. Just buy something good by you. When you pair it with strong flavored spirits and mixers, most of the subtle flavors get lost.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-24 06:32 am   Permalink

Pay attention to the prior suggestions to read labels carefully. There is a big difference between 100% Kona coffee and "Kona blend" coffee. I buy both, and my brewing decisions depend on my intended use and my target audience.

Kona coffee is more expensive, but in my opinion, if a "regular" coffee sells for $8 a bag, then it's worth the experience to pay $15 a bag for 100% Kona coffee. It lasts a while, and there is a nice richness and depth of flavor in pure Kona coffee which you may really enjoy. When you brew a pot, some will be used for your cocktails, and the rest makes a wonderful end-of-night drink for your guests. Just don't brew it too strong or you miss the "sweet spot" of the experience.

On my last visit to Hawai`i we spent a week on the Kona Coast. Not only did we go deep sea fishing and enjoy a stellar view of the island from offshore, but we also toured the coffee plantations. It was definitely a memorable visit!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-24 10:49 am   Permalink

Think the canned stuff might be a good, quick and easy substitute?

Ah dammit, just saw the small print on the can, lol.

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2014-03-24 10:49 ]

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-24 11:25 am   Permalink

And how about the big print -- with milk -- lol!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-24 11:44 am   Permalink

Also the smaller print that's says "Contains no less than 10% Kona coffee," which almost certainly means contains no more than 10%.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-24 11:44 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-24 12:32 pm   Permalink

I got distracted by the pretty flowers.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-24 1:06 pm   Permalink

That is the secret, make it cheap, decorate it, and load it with sugar so the people will not care that the quality is low.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-24 2:06 pm   Permalink

This is the 100% Kona coffee I usually get on Amazon.

It's $30.99 for a 14 oz. bag of ground coffee.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 07:30 am   Permalink

Kona Coffee is my nemesis...

Actually, I am going to do my best to get behind the scenes at the Mai-Kai next month and find out what coffee they use and how they brew it.

Every time I make a Black Magic it seems to taste different and not quite right. I have a drip maker, with a strong setting. I have an Aeropress. I grind beans fresh. 100% Kona. I want to get the tried and true method and then tweak the other ingredients to nail down the Black Magic better.

My best option so far has been double the grounds in the drip maker set to "strong".

Damn fine coffee.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 07:57 am   Permalink

It's going to be funny if it turns out Mai-Kai is using coffee that comes from Sysco in a 5-gallon bucket labeled "coffee."

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 08:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-25 07:57, TikiTacky wrote:
It's going to be funny if it turns out Mai-Kai is using coffee that comes from Sysco in a 5-gallon bucket labeled "coffee."

I've been in the kitchen and back bars, and there are coffee pots and makers. However, the coffee for the drinks is likely pre-made and chilled.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation