FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Kona coffee?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Kona coffee?
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-25 09:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-25 07:57, TikiTacky wrote:
It's going to be funny if it turns out Mai-Kai is using coffee that comes from Sysco in a 5-gallon bucket labeled "coffee."

...or if the coffee used turns out to be powdered/instant coffee!

I was in the back bar area last year, and had I known, I could have asked one of the bartenders about it. I sure enjoyed seeing the array of fine old rums on display on the upper-most shelves.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 12:11 pm   Permalink

If they are using cold coffee for drinks, they MAY be cold brewing it or using, as it's called "toddy." You put the coffee grounds in a filter, tie it with a rubber band or string, then put the coffee in a mesh filter, and submerge the mesh filter in a pitcher of cold water. Let it set for 12 to 24 hours, remove the mesh filter & it produces a very smooth, nonacidic cold coffee that can be used by itself, with cold milk, ice cream, etc etc. Try it & see.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 5:54 pm   Permalink

Ideally you should use a French press rather than a paper filter for all coffee (esp for cold brew) because the essential oils get trapped in the filter.

One of the biggest problems with people making cold coffee drinks is they brew hot coffee and either chill it fast (dump over ice) or slow (in the fridge) but it always has a really bad sourness to it that they then cover up with a shit-ton of sugar.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 6:06 pm   Permalink

I have not used these but they do make Coffee Syrup
here are a couple:

http://www.davescoffeestore.com/Coffee-Syrup-s/86.htm
http://www.torani.com/products/coffee-syrup

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-03-25 18:08 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation