FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Lime Shortage
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Lime Shortage
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 9:42 pm   Permalink

I bought limes here in Cincinnati last Saturday at Kroger (owners of Ralphs for you West Coasters) for 3/$1. Today, a mere week later, I went to three different Krogers and didn't find any limes at all. I finally found small limes at a green grocer priced 70 cents each. I bought a bunch because it's Saturday and I've gotta get my Tiki on, but man what a kick in the head.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-30 11:25 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2014-04-01 13:10 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-30 2:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-29 16:28, Loki-Tiki wrote:
...I picked up three bags, to squeeze and freeze.
...they had lime trees there too! So for long term piece of mind, I picked one of those up too...The juice must flow!

Bravo, Loki-Tiki! Squeeze-and-freeze works well. Growing your own rocks!

"Have limes - will travel, er, will TIKI!"

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-30 2:45 pm   Permalink

From the articles this is a Mexican lime shortage?

Most limes in the UK are from Brazil, if this was a Brazillian shortage I would be miffed! I rarely see Mexican limes but when I do they are tougher & in less well condition. I buy them & make something with tequila

I suppose the thing to do cut back on the lime drinks? Branch out to lemon?

Blue Hawaiis, Dons Own Planters, Hurricanes, London Sours, Painkillers, Saturns & Tradewinds are all good too!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 2:56 pm   Permalink

It will most likely affect your prices too since the demand will pull on Brazilian farms which in turn will make the UK have to either spend more or end up with no limes.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-31 5:23 pm   Permalink

77 cents per lime. Not a terrible price for up here, but I'm used to 33 cents each.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-31 10:15 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-04-01 22:33 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 07:11 am   Permalink

Nellie and Joe's Key Lime is not a good sub for Persian Lime. It works in a pinch, but not equal. You have to use less.

My advice stands: Go to the natural foods section or whatever they call it and find the organic lime juice bottled. I have used it for a while as a back-up and always for the lemon as I don't keep lemons on hand usually. Stock up now as even this stuff will go sky high once the shelf stock turns.

I also found some HUGE lemons in the organic food market. They were 99 cents, but each produced over 2 ounces of juice, so it was a deal.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 1:00 pm   Permalink

Hey Swanky,
I’m gonna take your tip and try some soon.
I have a 4 yr old dwarf persian lime tree that cannot keep up with my demand. When I’m expecting guests I buy my citrus at “ethnic “ Super’s but they’re also getting a bit expensive.
Mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-03 7:26 pm   Permalink

The lime situation in these parts is better this week. Kroger has plenty of big limes priced 2/99 cents.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-03 9:01 pm   Permalink

3 summers ago I was getting em at a local produce stand at 6 lb’s for a dollar.
2 summers ago they were 3 lb’s for a dollar.
Last summer they were 69 cents a pound.
Hasn’t slowed my Mai Tai comsumption one bit.
Cheers

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-08 07:46 am   Permalink

While scouring past threads, I've seen various Lime substitutes posted here(half lime concentrate, half fresh lemon, Kiwi,Rose's, etc). My question is: Is there something that can be added to lemons to make them more...lime-like? Bitters of some type? Also would you advise to scale lemon juice up, down, or keep the same amounts as lime juice in a drink recipe?

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-08 08:59 am   Permalink

Is the lime scare over? I noticed yesterday that Rubio's is stocking limes again at its salsa bar (they'd been using lemons instead for a few weeks).

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-08 10:00 am   Permalink

It's still going on.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-08 10:16 am   Permalink

My friend from TJ says that in Mexico they do not distinguish between lemons and limes. They call them citrus and interchange them in all of their drinks and foods. That may be why Rubios used lemons, they may not have been able to find limes but that is just speculation.

I still have not found a great source here in SD, but I feel like we may get them first since we are so close. I think the shortage will last a couple more months at least.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation