FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Lime Shortage
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Lime Shortage
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-08 10:39 am   Permalink

This is terrible.

But, trying to make the most of the situation, I am learning more drink recipes that don't use limes.

I don't think we will ever find a suitable substitute for a good fresh lime.

This will pass.

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-08 11:54 am   Permalink

That disaster will pass, but there is the very real threat of huánglóngběng looming on the horizon. Think of it like HIV for citrus, new cultivars are in the works but as there is no way to stop the spread of the disease, you may end up seeing shortages while things change over.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 4:38 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-09 5:35 pm   Permalink

Grab the biggest ones H10!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 5:56 pm   Permalink

It always seems to me that the smaller ones have more juice...

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 8:07 pm   Permalink

I’m no expert but I always like the plump, smooth skinned bright green ones. “Superior” market in La Mirada, California has em at 2.99 a pound. i bought 4 nice ones for 1.55.
After I finished my 2nd Mai Tai I wished I had bought more.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-09 8:20 pm   Permalink

It's the heavier ones that have more juice.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-10 06:29 am   Permalink

Choose your citrus, limes especially by their complexion and size. You want to get the biggest and smoothest ones. The more wrinkled and mottled the skin, the thicker the skin and the less juice.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-10 07:30 am   Permalink

Give'em a little squeeze too!

If they feel really firm or hard, they are going to be 'dry.'

If they give a little bit, they will have more juice.

If they feel really soft, give them a sniff because they may be about to go bad. And one lime going bad will turn the whole bowl bad in really short order.

Oh, and aim for the lighter colored limes. The darker the green, the younger the fruit.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2014-04-10 07:31 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cvcgolf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-11 1:43 pm   Permalink

25 cents each at Walmart today which was nice.. Not a huge pile to choose from but better then 69 cents at my local Sprouts which was the price last week..

View Profile of cvcgolf Send a personal message to cvcgolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-11 8:21 pm   Permalink

There's a Lime Shortage in America, And the Reason Is Straight Out of a 'Breaking Bad' Episode

http://www.policymic.com/articles/87037/there-s-a-national-lime-shortage-in-america-and-we-can-blame-mexico-s-drug-cartels

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-12 5:55 pm   Permalink

Here in Cincinnati its tiny limes for a lot of coin:

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-12 6:03 pm   Permalink

Here in Cincinnati its tiny limes for a lot of coin:

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-12 6:41 pm   Permalink

Just paid $13 for limes just to make a batch of margaritas. Normally would have cost me $2. $3.99 a pound here instead of 25 cents each.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-13 4:13 pm   Permalink

Getting higher:

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation