FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lime Shortage
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Lime Shortage
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 8:57 pm   Permalink

If you live in San Fernando Valley, Vallarta Market has some nice regular limes for $1.25 per pound and key lime for 99c per pound.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-04 6:28 pm   Permalink

I just got limes for 4 for a dollar at the local save a lot.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-25 07:27 am   Permalink

Not everyone is declaring the lime shortage over. A Google search as of today (5/25/14) has some very recent news articles reporting that we're not out of the woods yet.

Local home improvement stores are often out of Persian lime trees. A recent re-stock at several of my Lowe's stores brought us nice looking but very young lime trees for $39.95 each. I bought one as a housewarming gift for a local home tiki bartender friend of mine. He'll have to be very careful with it during the winter season so that it doesn't die in the relatively short freezes we get here. I advised him to consider waiting a year before planting it in the ground.

As an alternative to using limes, he went ahead and took my suggestion to try using lemons here-and-there. He's been making vodka and ginger beer Moscow Mules with lemons, and they have been very well accepted by his friends and family and fellow drunks like me.

Remember that you can use your leftover spent lime and lemon shells to freshen up that stinky old garbage disposal in your kitchen. Re-use, re-cycle, re-sober up for the next round.

Tip, tip, hurrah!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-26 2:16 pm   Permalink

I went to the farmers market yesterday and they had decent limes 5 for a dollar, latter I went to the Bravo and theirs were 7 for a dollar.

YMMV
Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 3:26 pm   Permalink

My local Whole Foods still has them at .79 each. Of course, being WF that might be the normal price.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 5:48 pm   Permalink

Well, here around Charlotte, NC they are still fetching $.99/lime. Ugh!

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 6:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-26 17:48, littlegiles wrote:
Well, here around Charlotte, NC they are still fetching $.99/lime. Ugh!

- Dale

But as a consolation, we can't even get Shrimp & Grits here, never mind good grits even.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 10:45 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-05-26 23:42 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-30 3:20 pm   Permalink

Hey littlegiles - Trader Joe's has 'em for .39 each, FYI!

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-30 4:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-26 18:40, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

But as a consolation, we can't even get Shrimp & Grits here, never mind good grits even.

well then plant y'self some grit trees, and gits'em fresh...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cvcgolf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-08 3:10 pm   Permalink

Was at my local Sprouts here in Southern Cali and they're at 4 for a dollar.. Yes!

View Profile of cvcgolf Send a personal message to cvcgolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 3:16 pm   Permalink

Local produce market is down to 69 cents a pound.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-30 4:49 pm   Permalink

Costco is at $7 for the 5lb bag in my neck of the woods. Better than the 99 cents a lime I was paying at the grocery store!

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-01 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-30 16:49, Greg_D_R wrote:
Costco is at $7 for the 5lb bag in my neck of the woods. Better than the 99 cents a lime I was paying at the grocery store!

Yes, and Costco has had cases at a time again lately, in contrast to a couple of bags or none at all three months ago. I also saw 10 limes for $1 at Vons last week.

So, are we ready to declare the Great Lime Shortage of 2014 has past?

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-01 08:27 am   Permalink

$3.69 a lb. at my local organic grocer.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation