FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Lime Shortage
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Lime Shortage
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 10:13 am   Permalink

I did a couple Google searches and didn't get any hits on anything really solid, although there is the article below from 4/1/2015 - I know that's April Fool's Day - but I don't think it's a joke in any way. And - hey - now you'll be able to tell people that you read "Produce News"!

http://www.producenews.com/markets-and-trends/15459-high-lime-market-falls-short-of-record-setting-2014-level

High lime market falls short of record-setting 2014 level
by John Groh | April 01, 2015
In 2014, a combination of factors caused an unprecedented spike in the lime market, sending prices well above the $100 mark for a 40-pound carton and causing a shortage of the fruit at both retail and foodservice. This year, the situation is not so sour.

While still much higher than normal, prices for a 40-pound carton were in the $48-58 range on March 27, or about half of what they were at this time in 2014.

“It is different than last year,” said Richard Ruiz, president of Ruiz Sales in Edinburg, TX, a supplier of Mexican tropical items that specializes in limes. “We will have more supplies this year, so prices will not be as high.”

A December 2013 freeze in Mexico caused bloom drop several months later, resulting in reduced supply in 2014. Additionally, Mexico held more for the domestic market and many growers who did send fruit to the export market accelerated harvesting schedules to capitalize on the high prices, resulting in a glut of small 235-size fruit in the pipeline.

Ruiz said that some growers in Mexico increased lime acreage in response to last year’s high market. Additionally, more fruit is being sourced from Colombia and Guatemala.

“Overall, there are more limes on the market this year than last year,” he said March 26. “A week ago, there were 241 loads that crossed into the U.S. A week later, that had increased to 333 loads, in just six days.”

Ronnie Cohen, a partner in Vision Import Group, based in Hackensack, NJ, which has a branch office in Pharr, TX, concurred with the state of the lime market, pegging it at $50-52 in late March.

“It’s hard to say what the market will do from day to day, but I think it has reached its peak,” he said March 27. “I think the price will come off next week, but it remains to be seen how far and how fast.”

Cohen said citrus greening disease has caused Mexican growers to pull affected citrus trees and replant with limes, which will put more fruit on the market when the trees reach maturity. But he is confident that demand in the U.S. market will continue to outpace supply.

“Consumption is definitely up from previous years,” he said. “If you look at the population of the United States, it is a true melting pot, and Hispanic populations are continuing to grow. That is causing an increased demand for limes.”

Eye on quality

Ruiz said lime shippers and retail buyers must scrutinize quality more than ever with the increased volume of fruit.

“The industry needs to be truthful about quality issues,” he said. “Some people are trying to sell No. 2 fruit at No. 1 prices, and that can have a negative effect because consumers can have a bad experience and get turned off. The cheapest fruit is often the most expensive fruit when you take into account the increased shrink and waste, and the potential loss of future sales if consumers have a bad eating experience.”

Cohen said some fruit was blanched as a result of rain, but quality has been steadily improving since the beginning of the year.

As the saying goes, you can’t judge a book by its cover, and “you can’t judge a lime by its color,” said Cohen. “The fact is, the off-color fruit is just has juicy as the green fruit, but U.S. consumers tend to like their limes with a deep green color.”

He said the new lime crop will hit the market around the middle of April, and there will be good supplies of high-quality fruit available to meet promotions.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 12:51 pm   Permalink

This $.50 per lime stuff is killing me!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 2:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-14 08:44, jamoke wrote:
Reviving and old thread rather than starting a new one...

Price of limes in the Phoenix area have jumped up to 50 cents each the last few weeks.
The size and quality has gone down at the same time.

Anybody know the long-term forecast?

Hoping this is just a short term bump in the road.

We are getting the same overpriced and anemic/juiceless limes in Florida. I'm not liking it.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 2:29 pm   Permalink

I live near Sunny&Rummy, and I can second that with the anemic limes!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 4:57 pm   Permalink

Just bought some lime at our neighborhood Middle-eastern store of $1.10/pound. I actually have a nice lime tree in the backyard but all the lime is gone, I wonder if the season is over for limes?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 6:52 pm   Permalink

Lime trees (depending on the variety) are supposed to produce year round.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 4 days ago; 7:11 pm   Permalink

Paid 40 cents each in Ralphs the other day, then went to Trader Joe's yesterday and they had bags of 10 for $2.99.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 08:02 am   Permalink

Up to $.69 each at Harris Teeter in Charlotte, NC (they were $.50 each about 10 days ago), or a 2-lb bag of smaller ones for $3.99. The smaller ones aren't worth it unless you're planning to juice a lot at once (with an electric juicer) and save the juice. Otherwise, you end up having to juice more than one lime for just one drink.

Since extra large lemons are the same price as a regular size lime, I just change up my home beverage selection for a while to include drinks calling for lemon rather than lime, until the prices drop again.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2 days ago; 12:48 pm   Permalink

Limes have been inconsistent here lately. A week ago my nearest grocer had limes almost as big as your fist that yielded nearly 2 oz of juice each. Now, for the same price (half a dollar), you get some seriously runty limes that have thick rinds and yield a measly half an oz of juice each. I'm starting to think about buying some of the cold pressed lime juice they stock in the bottled section.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2 days ago; 6:05 pm   Permalink

If the article I posted a couple days ago is correct, then the situation should begin improving right about now - middle of April.

If you are fortunate to live in a warm-weather climate, definitely consider planting some lime trees. Mine are Persian lime trees. They don't produce fruit year-round, and I'm not sure that this variety does that. But when they do produce fruit, I find myself swimming in nice big juicy limes which look and taste better than the store-bought limes.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 6:11 pm   Permalink

90 cents each here but big. 2 ounce limes. However a vag with 9 small ones is $2.50. Hope they get cheap soon.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: Yesterday; 7:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-04-17 18:11, Swanky wrote:
However a vag with 9 small ones...

Must... resist... responding... to... typo...

Aw, hell...

I'LL TAKE TWO PLEASE!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation