FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Lime Shortage
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
Lime Shortage
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-26 12:19 pm   Permalink

Limes seem to be back in good supply. I just took this photo in my local Save-A-Lot bargain grocery store - 10 nice Persian limes for a buck:

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-26 1:25 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I just noticed here in Texas they're $10/1 at my local supermarket as well. Yay! I actually ended up buying humongoloid ones from the Asian market though. They were 6/$1 but produce 1.5 oz or more per lime. So wonderful. You may have noticed in the "what are you drinking now" thread I've been imbibing quite a bit more frequently than usual.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeffitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-26 4:33 pm   Permalink

And I thought 4 for a buck was a good deal at my local San Diego CA Ralphs! (lowest price there in a while). San Diego TC folks, where is the best lime deal you have seen? Mahalo!

View Profile of Jeffitiki Send a personal message to Jeffitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-26 4:37 pm   Permalink

Up in the Dallas area, I've been able to get 15/$1, recently, at various Mexican-style supermarkets. A few weeks back, it was 25/$1 - I actually got tired of counting. I'm a little choosey - you want the thin-skinned, juicy ones - so it's not just the first 25 I could grab. But by 18, I was tempted to just say, Eh, good enough. But I stuck it out to number 25!
Now, it's lemons that are pricey - 3/$1 or more.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-06-26 16:38 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-26 4:39 pm   Permalink

In San Diego, Stumps on Voltaire in Point Loma had them 9 for $1, but I think they dropped it to 6 for $1 now. I will post when I see another great deal.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeffitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-26 4:53 pm   Permalink

Thank you Lunavideogames! That's more Mai Tais for the money!

View Profile of Jeffitiki Send a personal message to Jeffitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeffitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-26 4:56 pm   Permalink

That's a lot of limes Limbo Lizard! What is up with the price of lemons? I need them to make authentic Mr. Bali Hai cocktails (thanks to the Bum sharing the recipe).

AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 22 days ago; 5:22 pm   Permalink

Lime shortage for me - OVER! My young tree is now about 9' tall and fruits are ready to pick now.

Here's the first of what I expect will be a total of four of these baskets. The 2015 season is a good one for this Persian Lime tree. I'll be giving quite a number away to my local tiki ohana. I'll be picking in three more waves as the remaining fruits reach full size. But today's first harvest was amazing. And the aroma of the fresh juice is truly magnificent. From tree to finished drink in about an hour. Drink photo is posted in "what are you drinking now" thread.

Celebrate!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 10:51 pm   Permalink

I thought I had a hot tip til I saw Ace’s Baskettul of just picked limes
For those of you near Santa Fe Sprigs (Calif.) “El Super” Has been selling em at 3 lb.s for a dollar for the past month.
Someone mentioned that they look for the "thin skinned ones” Me too and I have the best luck when the skin is thin,shiny, and smooth. Time to open the Sharkbite Bar .
I was saving myself for Oasis but I might as well get started
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation