FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lime Shortage
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Lime Shortage
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 2:34 pm   Permalink

I know it might be heresy to some but this is really quite a useful product:

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 8:38 pm   Permalink

whoa... what was that?!?... an earthquake??

no, wait... just the collective shudders of a million cocktail connoisseurs.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 9:24 pm   Permalink

or... is this lime juice Tiki?

... seriously though, limes are often in short supply here in the west,
and relatively expensive when they're not.

Gladly, the life-size wahine finally relented, and I've given the Lilac tree
in our back yard a severe pruning, opening up an area large enough
for at least two lime trees.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2015-05-09 21:49 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 20 days ago; 05:44 am   Permalink

Bravo to all who plant some lime trees. Its fun to be able to tell guests that you're working with your own limes.

I have two lime trees, and they're getting bigger quickly. I can't use all of the limes when they become ripe, so I have become quite used to "squeeze & freeze" so they don't go to waste. That works for me, but when guests come over (and I have at least some advance notice) I get fresh limes from the store.

My other half gifted me a white grapefruit tree, and it's going into the ground soon. It produces quite a few fruits in the pot, and I can't wait to see it get bigger also.

Not many come out and tell you that, when you get into tiki, you may also learn to develop a green thumb.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 20 days ago; 11:32 am   Permalink

I have a lemon tree. I probably had 300 lemons this year. We froze a bunch too. And I buy limes, but as people are saying, lately the quality of the limes leaves a lot to be desired.

We thought about planting a lime tree, but the next priority plants are white grapefruit and passion fruit.

That Nellie's lime juice is pure key lime juice with no other ingredients, not Rose's or some abomination. It doesn't have the exact flavor of fresh cut limes but for drinks with multiple ingredients, or when the lime is mixed with lemon juice anyway, it works out fine.

Orange juice on the other hand I only use fresh. That seems to matter more for some reason.

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 12:33 pm   Permalink

It's that "from concentrate" phrase that you have to be wary of. It allows them to do all kinds of fun things to the product. Although Nellie's is pretty good stuff.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 20 days ago; 6:00 pm   Permalink

I have yet to find any bottled lime juice that can substitute for an actual lime. I tried a lot of options during the Great Lime Crisis of 2014, but none of them panned out. If limes are scarce, that's the tiki gods telling you to explore the possibilities of other citrus.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 20 days ago; 7:47 pm   Permalink

Wish I could get my hands on some of these Okinawan shikuwasa. I used to drink their juice when I lived in Japan. Dee-licious. But as far as I can tell, totally unavailable in the US.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 19 days ago; 06:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-05-10 11:32, wupput wrote:
That Nellie's lime juice is pure key lime juice with no other ingredients, not Rose's or some abomination. It doesn't have the exact flavor of fresh cut limes but for drinks with multiple ingredients, or when the lime is mixed with lemon juice anyway, it works out fine.

We must also consider that Nellie's is "key lime" juice. This is a different fruit and flavor profile from the Kaffir limes or the Persian limes.

If you like using Nellie's, I'm fine with it, but it's often not what is being used in many of the drink recipes we know and love. It's a cool and interesting variation. But my point is that we should be careful to avoid lumping all lime products into a single lime category. Many of us are too experienced to do that, so just wanted to point out that flavor profile thingy in a friendly sort of way.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 19 days ago; 2:15 pm   Permalink

I'm fine with you purists - in fact I appreciate the tips!

That being said, what's the general philosophy on subbing lemon juice in place of lime? It seems like the difference would be far greater than the difference between persian limes, key limes, fresh vs. concentrate, etc.

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 2:20 pm   Permalink

During those horrible times, I did a taste test of available products and this came the closest. It's available at select ABC liquor stores in Florida:

http://mybrands.com/Brands/Italian-Volcano-Juice---Organic-Juice/Italian-Volcano-Organic-Lime-Juice-500-ml

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 5:38 pm   Permalink

Ace, how does your lime juice taste after freezing? Being that you're not adding preservatives or concentrating it, I imagine it's not too far from fresh squeezed. I think you showed me 1 oz cube trays that you pour your juice into and can pop out as needed. So what is your thawing process like when you want to use it? Do you just sit it out til it unfreezes or put it in the fridge and wait for it to liquify or what? I bought a 5 lb bag from Costco and am worried a bunch of them will go bad before I get to use them all, so wondering if I should just squeeze and freeze.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 19 days ago; 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-05-11 17:38, mikehooker wrote:
Ace, how does your lime juice taste after freezing? Being that you're not adding preservatives or concentrating it, I imagine it's not too far from fresh squeezed. I think you showed me 1 oz cube trays that you pour your juice into and can pop out as needed. So what is your thawing process like when you want to use it? Do you just sit it out til it unfreezes or put it in the fridge and wait for it to liquify or what? I bought a 5 lb bag from Costco and am worried a bunch of them will go bad before I get to use them all, so wondering if I should just squeeze and freeze.

Mike, thanks for asking, this may be helpful to a few folks out there. Sounds like you may need this as well with your 5lb Costco bag of limes. Let us know how it goes.

"Squeeze & freeze" is a preservation and storage method. With a few precautions you should get pretty tasty juice for extended storage periods. I have no qualms doing it and enjoy the juice. I employ "squeeze & freeze" when:
* I don't want to waste fruit (the juice, specifically)
* I want to save a few bucks by saving unused juice for another night, or for another party
* I want the convenience of longer-term and on-demand juice storage without nasty preservatives
* I have surplus juice, and I'm out of room in the fridge, but my freezer has room, ha... (true!)

"In my opinion" when thawed it is surprisingly not far from fresh squeezed. This is even more true because some store-bought limes are sweeter/juicer than others poor ones in the same bag, and if you start with good ripe fruit, you've got a lot of good stuff to work with. However storing the juice too long (WAY too long!) I find that the flavor eventually begins to taper off just a bit. I would guess that this becomes first barely noticeable MAYBE around the 9-12 months point. But I only have juices frozen for that long period of time when I have had a HUGE surplus of fruit or when I haven't been entertaining much. My personal limes, which become harvestable all around the same time, are tree-ripened and really superior to any of the store-bought limes. That is the juice I value the most for its flavor and that is the juice I freeze and save most carefully for future use. I think the process works very well, especially when I have a spur-of-the-moment need for a good cocktail and don't have fresh limes handy or don't want to go to the store late at night.

Yes, I use the skinny 1-oz "water bottle ice" stick molds originally from Wal-Mart. They have since stopped producing them, and all the workalikes out on the market today suck in comparison. (Keep watching for them, they may come back!) But you can find 1-oz square ice cube molds and trays, and they work well, but they just don't store as compactly in the freezer as the long water bottle ice sticks do.

My thawing process:
First, note that I store three sticks in a plastic sandwich baggie to keep air off the juice, and to reduce oxidation. This is critical to preserving the flavor of the juice.
Second, I store 3 sets of 3 sticks in small square juice cartons with the tops cut off. This is purely for ease of handling and storage - it works great in the fridge - and also adds another layer of protection from air circulation.
Third, I defrost the juice in room temperature whenever possible, in advance if I have the time. The skinny sticks thaw quicker than square cubes. If I don't have the time or patience for this, then I will gently warm the juice carefully in the microwave. I avoid doing this for friends and company, but for myself will do this. But I have to be very careful -- warm temps quickly impact flavor, so I avoid being too aggressive in the microwave.
When I know I'm going to have a shindig at home, I do thaw my juices in the fridge and try to begin the process at least 24 hours in advance. If I have only a few hours notice, I may use a warm water bath in my sink since the microwave is the least-favored of the thawing processes.

I think this process works best for lemons and limes. I think grapefruit and orange juices may not be as robust, but more testing is needed. I have lots of lemon and lime juice experience and less orange and grapefruit experience.

I should post some photos, and will try to come back and do so later.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: Yesterday; 10:03 pm   Permalink

45 limes for $4.95 today

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation