FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What's the worst tiki drink recipe you've found?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What's the worst tiki drink recipe you've found?
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-27 8:58 pm   Permalink

A recipe for a Zombie in another thread made me wonder. What's the worst actual tiki drink recipe you've seen? Bonus points if you tried it.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-27 20:59 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-27 9:58 pm   Permalink

demerara dry float.

totally an "emperor wears no clothes" drink.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-27 10:16 pm   Permalink

Beachcomber's Gold from the original Grog Log.

2 types of vermouth, bitters, absinthe, and rum.

It's unfortunate, because the Beachcomber's Gold at Don the Beachcombers is one of my favorites.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-27 10:40 pm   Permalink

That doesn't sound like a tiki drink, that sounds like several cocktails. Not sure how well rum would play with the other flavors, but every other spirit plays well with that mix. Though that will be a strong drink.

Most revolting to me isn't a single recipe but when it calls for you to reach for bottled mixers rather than fresh or things like sweetened condensed milk.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-03-28 04:28 am   Permalink

Bless Chip Dystra & his homemade cocktail recipes - I think his reviews are usually spot on.

Using the Tiki+ app my comments normally range from 'ok, good, surprisingly good, great' & so on. My list of drinks less than 'ok' (& their comments) includes:

Big Bamboo (mismatched)
Colonel Beachs Plantation Punch (mismatched)
Eastern Sour (boring)
El Diablo (unremarkable)
Nui nui (mismatched)
Port Light (not good)
Shrunken Skull (disappointing)
Suffering Bastard (insufficiently distinctive)
Trader Vic Grog (unremarkable)

Some of those I have made more than once to see if I can improve them, some I have poured down the drain when I got bored.

I think the correct booze / syrups / liquors can really help a drink but some I've not liked from the off!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-28 11:06 am   Permalink

Sea of Cortez - had one last weekend, couldn't get used to it though I did get through the drink.
Miehana - not the worst, but for the life of me I can't like it. It's that damn coconut rum I believe.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-03-28 11:19 am   Permalink

Adoradam - I actually like the Suffering Bastard. It may be because I use a high quality ginger beer instead of standard ginger ale.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-28 1:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-28 11:19, TikiTacky wrote:
I actually like the Suffering Bastard.

Me too.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 6:47 pm   Permalink

After completing the entire Grog Log at the Tonga Hut I have to say the Gold Cup and Cruzana are both pretty awful.

The Gold cup only has one ounce of rum in it to mixture of sugar syrup, maraschino liqueur, pernod, almond and lime. The Cruzana is 2 ounces of gold rum, grapefruit juice and maraschino syrup right form the cherry jar. I'm happy I will never have to taste either of these drinks again.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 07:25 am   Permalink

Mulatta

1 3/4 ounces white rum
1/4 ounce brown crème de cacao
juice of 1/2 lime

Mix ingredients in a blender with a scoop of crushed ice. Serve in an iced cocktail glass.

It's quite a few years since I tried this drink but I definitely didn't like it as it tasted like sour wine if I recall correctly. Must have been the combination of chocolate and lime paired with that the proportions between these seem totally off.

www.thesurfites.com

[ This Message was edited by: Klas 2014-05-26 07:29 ]

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-26 07:31 am   Permalink

I have a bottle of Luxardo maraschino liqueur which I bought for some very specific drink recipes and have found that it imparts a very strange flavor into drinks. I also have a bottle of Heering cherry liqueur which I bought specifically to make Witch Doctors -- I haven't tried subbing it for maraschino, but it may give a much nicer result than maraschino liqueur in those drinks.

I don't have maraschino cherries, so I can't speak to the cherry juice/syrup. The whole maraschino flavor profile may have been considered "exotic" back in the day, so it may be that we're just not used to it. I may have to punish myself here at home by testing the Gold Cup you mentioned. I don't think I'll run out and buy maraschino cherries just to try the Cruzana with the cherry syrup. Or maybe I will. Heh...

Here's a good report I just found from someone on the web about making "good" cherry syrup at home with fresh cherries:
http://stirandstrain.com/tag/cruzana/ This sounds interesting, I think I'm going to try this just for kicks.

Let's see if anyone else has some thoughts they can share on this.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 07:35 am   Permalink

I use Heering in Singapore Sling, and sometimes a teaspoon in a hawaiian-style mai tai.

I use Luxardo maraschino in several tasty drinks- Hemingway daiquiri, aviation, red lantern come to mind.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 09:24 am   Permalink

I've got a bottle of Luxardo that I also use in Hemingway's.

One night a friend decided to try and sub behind my bar and used it in a recipe that required a decent amount of either Sweet Vermouth or Brandy. Not knowing what and where everything was he grabbed the Luxardo. The resulting concoction was undrinkable and I kicked him out from behind the bar.

Ace I'd be curious to hear your (and others) opinion on the Gold CUp. I remember when my friends and I hit it on the Grog Log our bartender warned us that it was going to suck.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-05-26 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-26 07:35, thePorpoise wrote:
I use Heering in Singapore Sling...

I use Luxardo maraschino in several tasty drinks- Hemingway daiquiri, aviation..

Agreed, good drinks!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 10:25 am   Permalink

Yeah, Maraschino (the Luxado type not the Czech type) really can't really be subbed with anything since it has the flavor of the cherry pits, but it does have a slight almond flavor to it. Similar to how people think amaretto is almond liqueur when the real stuff is supposed to only use apricot kernels.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation