FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's the worst tiki drink recipe you've found?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What's the worst tiki drink recipe you've found?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-26 2:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-26 10:25, wizzard419 wrote:
Yeah, Maraschino (the Luxado type not the Czech type) really can't really be subbed with anything since it has the flavor of the cherry pits, but it does have a slight almond flavor to it.

when out of Luxardo, i substitute 2 parts kirschwasser, 1 part orgeat...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-27 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-26 09:24, SoCal Savage wrote:
Ace I'd be curious to hear your (and others) opinion on the Gold CUp. I remember when my friends and I hit it on the Grog Log our bartender warned us that it was going to suck.

Ok, I made it and just finished it. Let me begin by sharing that I am not a fan of Pernod and not a big fan of Luxardo maraschino liqueur. When I saw that this drink requires a full teaspoon of Pernod, and a half ounce of maraschino, I figured I was gonna be in trouble right from the start. Two or three DROPS of Pernod is often too much in a drink.

The secret of this drink, for me, was to measure exactly (Science!) and to shake the hell out of the drink. I did both, got my shaker so cold that I couldn't hold it any more. The result is that the drink was well-shaken AND picked up critical liquid volume which the raw ingredients alone do not provide. I used Appleton V/X for my gold Jamaican rum and a glass eye dropper (from the WalMart pharmacy aisle) for the almond extract.

I ended up with a unique and pleasant drink, with many nice tiny bits of ice floating on the surface of the drink. It had a very nicely blended flavor. I was extremely surprised that the Pernod was so balanced out (negated?) by the other ingredient flavors. If anything was a little out of whack, it would have been the Luxardo maraschino was a little too strong. But this drink definitely did not suck. I would serve this to guests, but I would definitely take great care to prepare it the same way again.

Many "craft" or traditional tiki drinks rely on fairly precise measurements to achieve a good balance. Many also rely on proper shaker technique. Too much or too little shaking, like blending, can hurt a drink. In this drink, you need to shake to dilute and mix the ingredients well enough. I think this is a shake-til-you-cry-uncle drink, you almost can't over-shake this one.

I'd suggest giving the Gold Cup another try and see if it "opens up" a bit more for you. But I liked this enough that I'm definitely going to give it another try.

Here's a photo of my first Gold Cup. It looks like homemade Falernum.

Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 10:32 pm   Permalink

Ace you make that sound so good and my memory from the Tonga Hut was pure Maraschino and Falernum bleeech.

I am going to have to give this a fair "shake" at home, being as precise as you were and making sure that I use a decent rum like Appleton V/X.

Are you going to give the Cruzana a try now??

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 10:40 pm   Permalink

I don't know what they were, but most of the room party drinks at every Tiki Oasis.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-27 11:12 pm   Permalink

Tiki Thistle @ Three Dots

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-28 06:00 am   Permalink

On 2014-05-27 22:32, SoCal Savage wrote:
Are you going to give the Cruzana a try now??

Yessir, I think I will try it. I don't have maraschino cherries, so I will have to sub with a generic cherry syrup. It's a simple drink, and I try not to underestimate "simple," sounds like I will have some fun with it.

One of the things I really enjoy about TC is that we get to share notes and thoughts on stuff like this. I have learned a lot from others here. So thanks to all for the drink suggestions and the encouragement.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 06:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-28 06:00, AceExplorer wrote:

One of the things I really enjoy about TC is that we get to share notes and thoughts on stuff like this. I have learned a lot from others here.

Agreed!

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-29 08:45 am   Permalink

Not a lot of love for the Gold Cup on this thread---but I love it! The secret--as other posters have mentioned--is the right ingredients, exact precision, and enough shaking to get the thing nice and cold.

A drink I didn't care for in the past but came around for me with an ingredient change is the Montego Bay. It calls for Lime, Grapefruit, Honey, Dark Jamaican Rum and Pimento Liqueur. When I made it with Coruba, Myers's, or Appleton 12 year, it was too sweet and the flavors didn't blend right. Not good. The change that made it great was Blackwell Rum. It brought in just enough dryness, and let the honey/pimento/grapefruit combo really shine.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation