[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » La Habra 5.3 Earthquake
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
La Habra 5.3 Earthquake
Zinctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-28 9:47 pm   Permalink

Well, all I can say is anchor down your tiki mugs if you live in earthquake country. That's about $240 worth of good art gone tonight. We live next door to La Habra and it shook pretty hard, even for this veteran - though I never got off the couch

[ This Message was edited by: Zinctiki 2014-03-28 21:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Zinctiki 2014-03-28 22:03 ]

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-28 10:16 pm   Permalink

Very upsetting.
It was rockin & rollin. I fear there will be others.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-28 11:24 pm   Permalink

Oh! What a sad sight! But glad you're OK otherwise!

We felt it in West Hollywood as a very gentle swaying... in fact, Manuel, who was walking around in the kitchen at the time, would not have noticed if I hadn't pointed out our tiki lamps and fish floats slowly swinging back and forth.

A very different experience from the St. Paddy's day trembler centered in Westwood (the closest quake epicenter we've ever experienced)... that one was a jarring up and down motion... we heard things tumbling and breaking in the dark... but fortunately upon inspection, only a resin tiki statue bit the dust, and not a single mug was harmed in the process!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 12:11 am   Permalink

We’re pretty close to last nights epicenter. Easy to ride when you’ve got your rum in one hand. Lotsa rattling and light stuff on the floor (books and stuff) but no mug damage. No one hurt-that’s what matters.
Cheers all, stay safe!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 03:02 am   Permalink

Museum Putty is mandatory in SoCal...

We felt the Earthquake pretty good, but it was a slow roller
unlike the usual sharp jolt, so no damage here, condolences
to you inlanders, we will make up for it during the next tsunami....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 04:02 am   Permalink

Good God that scared the hell out of me.
I've got around 50 mugs or so, and no losses.
Lots of them moved, dancing around on the shelves.
I had a Fu Manchu mug turn all the way around on top of
The entertainment center.
I keep telling myself I need to get the putty.

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 07:42 am   Permalink

Yikes! Luckily, in Texas, we don't have to secure against earthquakes. But I wonder,... do they make 'tornado putty'?
Anyway, that museum putty sounds like pretty cheap insurance for your mugs. Amazon sells, or even quicker, pick it up at Home Depot for about $4, before the next aftershock.
QuakeHOLD!

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 09:31 am   Permalink

I would like to suggest that all of the SoCal members ship their tiki mugs to me since earthquakes here are few and far between. Once the earthquake storm there is over I'll be glad to return the mugs....at least the one I can find.

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 09:44 am   Permalink

gonna be 74 here today, maybe some light rain.
I'll take the earthquakes over the bad weather any day.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 11:27 am   Permalink

KCAL reported it as 5.3 right after the quake. Looks like it was officially a 5.1. I can usually guess them pretty close and figured it was a 5.5 at the time - like Steve Martin in "L.A. Story".

So, after a half-century of accurate detection, I'm right and the Richter Scale is wrong

And I'd just put those two mugs up on a wicker shelf as part of an idea for the room. Who'da guessed a freakin' earthquake was gonna hit?!

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-29 09:31, ukutiki wrote:
I would like to suggest that all of the SoCal members ship their tiki mugs to me since earthquakes here are few and far between. Once the earthquake storm there is over I'll be glad to return the mugs....at least the one I can find.

What? UPS & FedEx are worse then an Earthquake!
but then again I never got caught in a collapsing building with Marjoe Gortner.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 12:12 pm   Permalink

Museum putty is great if whatever you're trying to stick down doesn't get used but I've heard it can be a pain when using it on things like mugs you actually drink out of.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-29 12:39 pm   Permalink

One of my offices is in La Habra and I'm here now. Yikes. I lost a couple of tiki glasses last night and possible some audio gear that came crashing down. My Harmon Kardon receiver weighs about 80lbs.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-29 12:43 pm   Permalink

A lot of my mugs fell, but luckily most of them are still in the bubble wrap and boxes from where I bought them.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-29 2:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-29 12:12, wizzard419 wrote:
Museum putty is great if whatever you're trying to stick down doesn't get used but I've heard it can be a pain when using it on things like mugs you actually drink out of.

Makes me think that it's worth considering some sort of other way to hold them. Maybe with a taut wire, or fishing line, to keep them from falling forward and tilting too much when shaking occurs. Museum putty works great for figurines and "static" collectibles. But many of us mug collectors may actually want to use our items, or take them down to show someone. Dang earthquakes...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation