FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » La Habra 5.3 Earthquake
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
La Habra 5.3 Earthquake
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 2:18 pm   Permalink

If I recall, that is what the Getty uses for some of their displays. Keeping the line at above the center of gravity.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-29 2:27 pm   Permalink

I've had enough time to think about it and I agree that fishing line or similar is best for mugs. I like to take them down or rearrange them and putty makes that difficult. But for now everything is back in their boxes.

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-29 2:38 pm   Permalink

Jeez! I just post this and we had another one. Felt like 3.8-4.0. Double-checking the other breakables...

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-29 3:05 pm   Permalink

My window unit a/c doesn't cool my apartment on very hot days. I discovered that it gets so hot where my lounge is that the museum wax melts. Another reason to use something in addition to the wax.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 4:29 pm   Permalink

I concede that museum putty is not a happy solution to the earthquake problem, in the case of mugs that are actually frequently used or taken down for examination by guests.
The suggestions of wire or fishing line triggered a thought. Nautical style decor is not discordant with tiki decor. I've noticed that the shelves and cabinets in boats - especially seaworthy sailboats - are cleverly designed so that objects are easy to access, but are protected from falling due to shifting seas. It seems the same type of designs could be used to display your mugs, and protect them from shifting and shaking land, too. Mimicking the boat designs might achieve the practical goal, without sacrificing style.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 6:01 pm   Permalink

I use fishline. Be careful when you’ve been entertaining wid rum though. I’ve seen a few mugs make some very graceful arc’s through the air when guest’s have wanted to examine a mug more closely and did not see the fishline. Pros and cons to any method you choose. I have most of my mugs up high and out of reach . The grid like cabinets in the pix are wooden shoe storage racks I rescued from a thrift store. Wish I had more than the two I got. The line is secured at one end, passes in and out of the vertical slats and is secured at the opposite end. Passed yesterdays test-cross my fingers for the “big one”
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-30 4:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-29 16:29, Limbo Lizard wrote:Nautical style decor is not discordant with tiki decor. I've noticed that the shelves and cabinets in boats - especially seaworthy sailboats - are cleverly designed so that objects are easy to access, but are protected from falling due to shifting seas. It seems the same type of designs could be used to display your mugs, and protect them from shifting and shaking land, too. Mimicking the boat designs might achieve the practical goal, without sacrificing style.

I made something along these lines with some cafe rod brackets and dowels.

It's technically a whisky shelf, but the same idea should work for mugs.

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 5:30 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-03-30 17:33 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 5:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I made something along these lines with some cafe rod brackets and dowels.

It's technically a whisky shelf, but the same idea should work for mugs.

I like! You have inspired me. I’m gonna try it with small diameter bamboo. This time of year I dump a lot into the “green” trash can.
Waste not , want not.
Cheers

[/quote]

tikilongbeach

Posted: 2014-03-31 08:59 am   Permalink

This made me laugh: USGS scientist Lucy Jones' advice for Friday night: “Don’t put your child to bed under a tall bookcase that could fall over him tonight."

Anchoring your bookshelves to the wall so they don't fall over is a good way to prevent accidents.
I bought an a-frame bookcase and it came with a wall anchor kit.

Quake Hold makes a line of products.
www.quakehold.com

Can you tell that I've only lived in earthquake country for 8 years?
Experiencing tornadoes and floods never rattled my nerves like earthquakes do.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-31 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-31 08:59, tikilongbeach wrote:
I bought an a-frame bookcase and it came with a wall anchor kit.

I moved from quake country and now live on the East coast of Florida. We often buy book cases and other furnishings and they automatically come with pre-packaged quake anchors. Everybody laughs about it, but I know that 120 years ago we had a quake so strong here that the all-masonry St. Augustine lighthouse rocked and almost toppled.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-31 2:08 pm   Permalink

Even if you're not on a fault line, other things could cause quake like shakes too. There was a quake in the Midwest where they believe it was caused by the aquifer being dry and collapsing.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai

Posted: 2014-03-31 4:03 pm   Permalink

I just found cracks in the stairwell of the building I work in from the earthquake. I have two cases of water in my car, just in case.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-31 6:19 pm   Permalink

Looking at the seizmograph web site the other day,
it showed that there was also quakes in Oklahoma and Wyoming.
It's not just west coast, but mainly.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Enchanted Tiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-02 4:27 pm   Permalink

When the main quake hit, I was just getting out of the shower in my Enchanted Tiki Bathroom, and was drying off, & noticed my tiki birds on their perch & wooden wind chime were swaying back and forth! Other than that, no damage or anything toppling over thank goodness!

View Profile of Enchanted Tiki Guy Send a personal message to Enchanted Tiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation