FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-21 11:44 pm   Permalink

Name:Bali Hai
Type:Restaurant
Street:2230 Shelter Island Drive
City:San Diego
State:CA
Zip:92106
Phone:619-222 - 1181

Description:
The Bali Hai was featured in the "Book of Tiki" as a terrific old school Tiki Bar/Restaurant. Located on Shelter Island, San Diego's Tiki District, the BH is within walking distance of Humphrie's Half Moon Bay, Trader Mort's Liquors and a variety of other Tiki points of interest. The BH is known for having a great view of Downtown San Diego and a Fantastic Mai Tai. Arthur Lyman was once the House Band at the Bali Hai. A Definite stop on the Polynesian Pop Super Highway.

http://www.balihairestaurant.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely 2007-04-19 00:49 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 12:50 am   Permalink

Did I read somewhere that Sven Kirsten (Bigbro Tiki) stripped and repainted Mr. Bali Hai?

Note: Have guests entering the Bali Hai photograph you with Mr. Bali Hai. I had my photograph taken by guests leaving and the pictures came out wobbly.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 11:16 am   Permalink

Nope - that would be Kevin Kidney & Jody... (forgot his last name!)

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 12:45 pm   Permalink

There is a link to the story about Kevin Kidney's and Jody Daily's restoration of Mr. Bali Hai on Sven's website, which may be the connection you remembered. Here's the link to the story:

http://www.bookoftiki.com/bali.html

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 11:30 pm   Permalink

Went to the Bali Hai last weekend and talked to the Barback, who happens to be the son of the owners. He said Sam Choy is no longer involved with the joint and it's now just the Bali Hai. He was brought in as a partner to get the food back into order and also get the Sam choy name on the place, but now Sam Choy is no longer with the Bali Hai.

When there the Bartenders Sam and Rob are great and they always pour extra heavy. Enjoy!!

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-29 12:40 pm   Permalink

I just had lunch there 2 days ago. The food was so so, I'm glad that Sam Choy is no longer associated with them, because he is better than that. Bali Hai has fantastic views and is in a great location. It has the old school feel, with some great artifacts throughout the place. Unfortunately we could not see any artifacts from our table.

Drinks, of course I ordered a Mai Tai served in the Headhunter Mug $14.95, it was not as good as what I make at home, but it was dangerously strong, and the value with the mug was good, I ordered a Goof Punch in the keeper mug as well and it was a bit watery and half as strong for the same price, so I would stick with the Mai Tai!

Cheers,

KT

[ This Message was edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2004-04-04 23:22 ]

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wrongdimensionboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-14 01:20 am   Permalink

This is my favorite tiki restaurant. They have an original tiki mug you can take home that is really unique, and the drinks are by far the strongest I've ever had.Try the Blue Mystique. (Great name for any X-Men tiki fans out there!) It's a drink for 2, and comes in a fish bowl sized glass. Glad I took a cab after that one! The view of the harbor is fantastic, and the food is great too.

View Profile of wrongdimensionboy Send a personal message to wrongdimensionboy  Goto the website of wrongdimensionboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-07 05:04 am   Permalink

I may have a couple hours to spend in San Diego later this month. Does the interior of the Bali Hai have a very high TiPSY factor (lots of tikis to photograph)? Also, aside from the Mr Bali Hai mug, how many other mugs are available and at what costs? ...gotta budget for this, ya know. Thanks.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-07 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:
I may have a couple hours to spend in San Diego later this month. Does the interior of the Bali Hai have a very high TiPSY factor (lots of tikis to photograph)? Also, aside from the Mr Bali Hai mug, how many other mugs are available and at what costs? ...gotta budget for this, ya know. Thanks.

I would say that Bali Hai doesn't have a very high TiPSY factor in the actual dining room. Most of the tikis seem to be at the entrance or at the top of the stairs. If memory serves, it's about half a dozen to a dozen tikis in total. They are very cool though.

As for the mug, I think, and I could be wrong, that they only have the Mr. Bali Hai mug for sale. It was 14.95 with the drink, or you could buy it alone for 8-9 bucks.

Don't miss the Bali Hai if you can help it. I found it to be one of my favourite stops when I was down in SoCal last month, (and I visited many Tiki bars and restaurants then). Even though the TiPSY factor isn't so high, it's still a lovely setting (being right on the harbour) and the food was very good.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-07 12:58 pm   Permalink

If you have the time take a walk around the Bali Ha'i's garden & boat dock, there're more Tikis there, too. Stroll around Shelter Island, walk around Humphrey's 1/2 Moon, walk to Trader Mort's. As you walk from the Bali Ha'i to Trader Mort's, you'll notice that some fence posts're carved into a rough Tiki shape.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 7:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-04-07 12:58, freddiefreelance wrote: As you walk from the Bali Ha'i to Trader Mort's, you'll notice that some fence posts're carved into a rough Tiki shape.

Those small tiki posts are most amusing. Sort of like mini tiki elves keeping you company as you walk past the very dramatic A frame on the west side of Humphrey's & past the boat slips.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 09:45 am   Permalink

I stopped by the Bali Hai last weekend while in SD and was pleased by all the tikis you have to pass to get to the dining room! Very nice carving work and the map of the south pacific which is featured in the Book of Tiki. I picked up the mug for $9 (sans drink) and I'm very happy with it. The guy there told me they had shot-sized mugs of Mr. Bali Hai too, but I didn't pick them up.

Also, as you head to Shelter Island, you will see Mort's Liquor which has a respectible tiki out front.

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 09:53 am   Permalink

San Diego has a great tri-fecta of tiki with Bali hai, Humphrey's, & trader mort's.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 09:53, Tiki Bird wrote:
San Diego has a great tri-fecta of tiki with Bali hai, Humphrey's, & trader mort's.

Don't forget the Islands Room at the Hanalei Hotel!

...of course, that changes SD from being a tri-fecta of tiki...

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-30 10:46 am   Permalink

Your right, Hanalei Hotel is great, also Mr Tiki hopefully will be a great addition in the gas lamp district. Geez San Diego will be a tiki town soon.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation