FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 5:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-30 03:55, Matterhorn1959 wrote:
A picture of the Bali Hai before it became the Bali Hai. As noted on the photograph, this is the Hut on Shelter Island in 1954.

Quote:

On 2010-12-19 08:24, Dustycajun wrote:
Picked up another older postcard with a nice shot of the Goof on the roof.

DC

Almost the exact same angle than Chris Merrit's B&W. A good comparison example of how at the first moment these places were built, the tropical foliage was sparse because it was freshly planted, and only grew in to complete the look later.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-19 7:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-19 17:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-30 03:55, Matterhorn1959 wrote:
A picture of the Bali Hai before it became the Bali Hai. As noted on the photograph, this is the Hut on Shelter Island in 1954.

Quote:

On 2010-12-19 08:24, Dustycajun wrote:
Picked up another older postcard with a nice shot of the Goof on the roof.

DC

Almost the exact same angle than Chris Merrit's B&W. A good comparison example of how at the first moment these places were built, the tropical foliage was sparse because it was freshly planted, and only grew in to complete the look later.

One of the things that I love about these early shots of these places is just that. The sparseness of the landscape. It's a real nice depiction of America at the beginning of it's post war boom, when money was abundant, and land was was virgin territory. The beginning of suburbia. The black and white only adds to the effect. Hard to imagine California like that now, where every inch is paved over with a starbucks, a McDonalds or an apartment building.
It's a sad reminder of how time really marches on, and those simple times are really gone.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-20 12:06 pm   Permalink

Case in point: The earliest photos of the Mai Kai, when it just was built. It's a lone island by the highway.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 9:36 pm   Permalink

Bali Hai mug, Goof mug, VERY STRONG Mai-tai x2, buzz x2, only $30.00. I love San Diego

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 09:50 am   Permalink

Old photo of Mr. Bali Hai from flickr.

An appropriate shaped Tiki for Easter!

Happy Easter TC!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 7:29 pm   Permalink

Glad you had a good experience, hang10tiki. Sadly, that's been a bit of a challenge lately.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-11 10:40 pm   Permalink

Bama
the strong Mai-Tai or a buzz?

got the new mug last week, way cool...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-18 12:44 pm   Permalink

Found some old photos of the Bali Hai on Flickr.

Shot of the building.

(very similar to this postcard)

The garden pool.

The bridge and clam-shell waterfall

And two of my all-time favorites, Mr. Bali Hai Santa!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-22 1:05 pm   Permalink

A couple ads from two San Diego Magazines I just picked up.
May 1969 and August 1969.

ETR

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 5:18 pm   Permalink

I recently acquired this old photo showing a rare glimpse of the thatched A-Frame entrance structure that was located adjacent to the Bali Hai restaurant building.

It was flanked by two rather impressive Tikis.

What's amazing is that this A-Frame has never shown up in any photos before. You can see the thatched hut structure in this postcard I posted some time back, but no A-Frame.

There is a partial view of the A-Frame in this ad that Tiki Shaker posted.

I also think this is the view looking through the A-Frame at the garden pool.

It must not have survived the ravages of coastal weather very well.

Pretty cool discovery.

DC

Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-28 10:00 pm   Permalink

Awesome find DC. It's amazing how many transformations this place went thru.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-10 10:59 pm   Permalink

Celebrated my Tikiqueen's birthday Friday at the Bali Hai. New Chef d'Cuisine Ben Lieberman has redone the menu. Imho, the food had been so-so. All you TC'ers going for dinner during Oasis are in for a treat.I had the Ahi and it was awesome! The service was very good and of course the view is incomparable. No mai Tai's for me that night though. We hit happy hour the night before and I had the poke ahi (size of a brick and yummy) washing it down with three Mai Tai's.Stumbled back to Humprey's Half moon and popped a bottle of champagne and thats all I remember.
Sadly Hump's sawed the outrigger/canoe prow off at front top of their restaurant and the prows on the rest of the bldg. are very deteriorated. We looked for the tiki around the "greens" and I think that there were more last year. There is a hard to spot tiki in the area of the koi pond/macaw perches. A nice png mask hangs on the wall next to the unisex restroom in the lobby. A couple of sorta tiki things are framed and also grace the lobby. They still have that huge killa chandelier hanging from one of the nicest A-frames (no offense Anders) in Calif. Staff here was great-still a good place to stay-Check out their sail pkg. Good deal if you like romance!
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 11:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-24 19:57, Tiki Shaker wrote:

Does anyone know what that thing in the middle is????
The giant ladle thing...

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-06 08:15 am   Permalink

That is something I wish I would have bought for $5 when I saw a copy of it at Goodwill. It's a ladle of some kind, maybe ceremonial? Some of them are really detailed.
There's a pair of them on eBay for $254.55. They're listed as "vintage hand carved pair Indian head south America ladies" and they look like a close facsimile.
I'm sorry I couldn't provide a link, my office blocks the eBay site, thankfully.

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2012-11-06 08:26 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-21 4:43 pm   Permalink

Found this in a San Diego Union newspaper from 1963.
It was just laying around my office!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation