FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Bali Hai, San Diego, CA (Restaurant)
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 5:44 pm   Permalink

This is not the national geographic society nor is it a fine dining club. Some of us enjoy the drinking, some like the pop culture, and some know exactly what to call artifacts and designs from a host of oceanic cultures. Our social gatherings are not "college" as you call them but a group of adults who enjoy each others company and need a release after endless hours of work and family obligations which most of us have.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman on 2004-08-18 20:55 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-06-02 6:10 pm   Permalink

I second that thought Monkeyman(but in an extrememly respectful way).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 6:15 pm   Permalink

This person, with such Aloha Sprit, talks like he speaks for the Bali Hai. Does he/she? Not a good way to get business either!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-06-02 6:24 pm   Permalink

The following is a description of Tiki Central from Tikiroom.com;
Quote:

WHAT IS TIKI CENTRAL?
Quite simply, Tiki Central is the largest collection of Tiki enthusiasts on the web -- and probably anywhere! Tiki Central is a newspost for the latest Tiki news, a meeting place for Tiki people, an UberAlbum for Tiki Photos, and Calendar Of Events for the greatest Tiki Lounge parties in the world. Tiki Central is the best resource for:

Tiki Events parties, tiki bar openings, tiki bar closings
Tiki Bars Yes, tiki bars, new and old, are discussed all the time
Tiki Findings Mugs, statues, poles, plates, belt buckles, napkins, pop culture references, etc.
Tiki Drinks Mai Tai, Scorpions, you get the idea.
Tiki History Classic bars, etc.
Tiki Music Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Don Tiki, and other legends"

As one may notice, drinking and bars weigh heavily here. Discussing REAL Polynesian culture is not often done--this site leads more towards the concept of Polynesian Pop which is a loose (and not always accurate)interpretation of the Polymesian lifestyle. I enjoy learning some REAL facts about real Polynesian Culture when they do pop up here-but ,K'eli, to generally call (most of) us idiots is not going to warm us up to receiving the benefits of you knowledge. Correcting someone, I feel, is most welcome as long as one doesn't insult or attack them. All I can think of when reading the quote of yours that Monkeyman posted is YIKES!!!

[edited by hanford to fix formatting]

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-06-02 23:45 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
k'eli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-02 6:37 pm   Permalink

Okay - my sincere apoligies to all - I/we was treated rather rudely at an event by those who were quite drunk -

View Profile of k'eli Send a personal message to k'eli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-06-02 6:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-02 18:37, k'eli wrote:
Okay - my sincere apoligies to all - I/we was treated rather rudely at an event by those who were quite drunk -

Sorry to hear about that bad treatment. Assuming you are of Hawaiian/Polynesian heritage it must be annoying at times when you see your culture diluted by misrepresentation. We at Tiki Central are (as a whole) into the Pop aspect--some of us are ALSO into the serious aspects of the culture and are quite knowledgeable about them. There are jerks in any group though. When we find them-we ATTACK!!!! I look forward to your contributions.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 6:48 pm   Permalink

Thats unfortunate that you were not treated well by others in the group at a recent event. I can understand why you would be upset. On the whole Tiki Central folk are nice people who go out of their way to treat others with kindness. At some point in time, we were all new to the group and would hope that others treated us politely.

Give us another shot and see if things turn out differently. There are plenty of Tiki Central social functions in SoCal during this time of year.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 7:14 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:11 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 7:21 pm   Permalink

Bong's sorry!

Really, I think the group as a whole is very un-frat-like. As someone who has worked in bars for way too long, it suprises me how great this group behaves with the amount of alcohol consumption involved. Everyone was so nice at Oasis (of course we probably sweat out the booze) I've even had many TC members over at my house for a party that I had only met here on-line. Everyone was super polite and respectful.

I know it's hard but, you shouldn't let drunken behavior bother you so much. I can guarantee the person who offended you isn't even thinking about it, now. Invest more time getting to know people before you burn the whole lot of us.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 7:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-02 18:37, k'eli wrote:

mai ho'okaumaha. a'ole pilikia.

[edited by Hanford to fix formatting]

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-06-02 23:47 ]

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 11:49 pm   Permalink

I don't want to lock this topic, so please no-more off-topic posts here, I think the brouhaha is over with.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 09:34 am   Permalink

we LOVED this place. the dining area itslef could use some tikis, but the food makes up for it. i had the chicken of the gods-AWESOME!!! my wife had the portuguese sausage stuffed chiecken which she loved. of course we had to get the mr bali hai drink in the mug. i also finally got the book of tiki from the gift shop. definately going to go back next time we go to san diego.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 5:47 pm   Permalink

Hey tiki5-0, did you happen to notice if they had any shirts, caps, postcards, etc. in the gift shop that actually had the image of Mr. Bali Hai on them? When I was last there in May, the gift shop manager told me they were considering offers from several venders for such.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 09:54 am   Permalink

no, all i saw were the mug and the mini-mugs(shot glasses). i was kinda bummed. i was looking foward to a t-shirt or some other type of memorablilia, but the mug will do.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 9:03 pm   Permalink

Nice eye on the carved tiki outside of Mort's Liquor there on Shelter Island. Most people don't know this but that particular tiki was originally carved by Eli Hadley and used to stand outside of the old Island Trade Store in Midway City, CA. Neat, eh?

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation