FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Serious Eats: Tiki 101: A Beginner's Guide
Serious Eats: Tiki 101: A Beginner's Guide
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-05 12:37 am   Permalink

Serious Eats has a Tiki 101 up on it's site. Thoughts?

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/03/tiki-cocktail-history-basics-of-tiki-drinks-essential-ingredients.html

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-05 06:44 am   Permalink

It's an interesting treatment and named appropriately. The author lays down all the basics and points the beginner in the right directions. For those of us active in this forum it's a little Ho-Hum because we already know everything as stated in the writing but to the beginner, this may be a real eye-opener and I'm sure, get more people interested in Tiki.

Nicely done in my opinion.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-05 10:18 am   Permalink

I agree its a nice article but not so much use I think:

Why do articles always jump to the $100 mai tai? Yes, perhaps it is the 'king' of tiki drinks but if some said 'go spend $100+ to get started' Id blanch at the idea.

My practical advice to 'get started' would be:

Buy a PR style rum & a dark Jamaican rum (e.g. Flor De Cana & Coruba), some lime & some sugar. Whatever else you have you will need these ~ approx $40?

Google 'sugar syrup'. Make. Google 'Daiquiri' & 'Planters Punch, One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak'. Find drink recipes, make & enjoy. This can be skipped but if you make a few classics you'll appreciate the balance in later drinks.

Buy the Tiki+ app or Beachbum Berry Remixed ~ total cost $5 to $25?

Browse the recipes. Pick up some new ingredients (eg. lemon, orange, passionfruit syrup, orgeat, Coco Lopez, falernum, etc) required to make a drink you fancy - $10?

If you enjoyed that, repeat purchase citrus fruit, continue browsing the recipes & occasionally new buy ingredients...

Join TC

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation