FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Lemon Hart question
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-10 07:21 am   Permalink

Google searches for "Rum El Dorado 151" are disappointing because the search brings up a ton of car parts for sale. This could be a sign from the tiki gods that rum and vintage cars go together.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 08:18 am   Permalink

In response to a couple inquiries above... Lemon Hart 80 hasn't been imported for at least a few years now. So unless you find a dusty bottle -- which is pretty unlikely at this point -- you're not going to find it in the U.S.

The El Dorado 151 is very different from Lemon Hart. It's basically just high-test white rum. Not dark or smoky or with those burnt caramel notes. All it's really going to add to a drink is alcohol. Not much flavor.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 08:21 am   Permalink

I asked Ed Hamilton (the Minister of Rum) about Lemon Hart 151. Ed is the one who (through his company, Caribbean Spirits) brought LH back to the American market after it was discontinued a few years back.

His response:

Quote:
Mosaiq, the company that owns the Lemon Hart brand decided a couple of months ago not to bottle Lemon Hart 151 until at least mid-2015.

Edit: Old news. Ed already announced this on the LH151 Facebook page in May.

[ This Message was edited by: djmont 2014-07-10 08:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: djmont 2014-07-10 08:27 ]

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 08:43 am   Permalink

Ace- all the ABC stores around here have the ED 151, check yours. it is a clear overproof rum.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 08:44 am   Permalink

I'm curious about the Gosling's dark 151, havent tried that one...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-10 08:47 am   Permalink

Thanks, David, that is extremely helpful! If El Do 151 is not a dark rum, then it's not near a sub for LH151.

It appears, then, that the best scenario for the time being is for home bar owners to stock up on LH151 as best they can. Commercial establishments won't be as fortunate because their volume far exceeds what supply remains available. Home bar owners have a good chance to stock up with enough to get through the drought.

Let's not forget that the world of tropical cocktails, and classic cocktails as well, offers a lot of rich recipes and timem periods to explore. I like to keep reminding my friends that, when we are faced with a challenge, it is also an opportunity to try some new and different things.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-10 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-10 08:44, thePorpoise wrote:
I'm curious about the Gosling's dark 151, havent tried that one...

I have Goslings 151 & Plantation Overproof (alongside 2 & a bit bottles of LH151), I'm subbing them for LH151 in drinks to see which works.

The Goslings 151 is a good rum for your money IMO but not quite as smokey as LH151 - it does work well in the Simplified Zombie from Remixed but the LH151 has a slight edge in the Jet Pilot.

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 10:33 am   Permalink

Goslings 151 was what I used in place of LH151 before its return. It makes good drinks if that's all you have but it's still only s marginal substitute. Very much lacking the smoky/acrid richness of LH151.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-07-10 11:10 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 11:02 am   Permalink

Why not add a drop of this?

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2014-07-10 11:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2014-07-10 11:03 ]

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-10 11:48 am   Permalink

...and a teaspoonful of this!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-11 10:49 am   Permalink

I have been trying to figure out just how much LH151 we use to see how much I need on hand to get through June 15th and beyond. So far we seem to use 1 bottle every 20 days... That means I need 18 bottles at a minimum.

We have been drinking a lot of "Cobra's Fangs" lately which uses a lot of it. But we make a lot of drinks that call for it.

I definitely need more. I got 10 more bottles of the new after this picture was taken. 22 then, already at 19 or 20...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-11 10:55 am   Permalink

Swanky, some people complain loudly about their bar tabs when they go out. You, however, are definitely justified in complaining loudly about your bar tab when you stay in!

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-11 1:43 pm   Permalink

And I thought I drank a lot.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 09:39 am   Permalink

Found LH151 in Chicago this weekend and brought back a couple of bottles. They had El Do 151, and as someone said, it is a clear rum probably similar to Wray and Nephew Overproof, only stronger. Not an option. I left 1 bottle of LH151 at the Liquor Warehouse on Wabash...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-22 11:21 am   Permalink

I picked up my first bottle of Goslings 151 this morning and will begin testing side-by-side with LH151 very soon. I can't find my white lab coat and safety goggles which is probably a pretty good clue that I need to go outside and check the bushes. That last explosion in the liquor lab was intense...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation