FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Lemon Hart question
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 12:43 am   Permalink

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this just went up on the Lemon Hart 151 Facebook page about 5 hours ago:

"I"m sorry too report that Mosaiq, the Lemon Hart brand owner, has decided not to bottle any more Lemon Hart 151 until at least the middle of 2015. I wish I had the opportunity to buy more and offered to buy 5,000 cases but was turned down. Planning is everything. I'm working on obtaining another overproof rum that will work in many of the cocktails you love."

https://www.facebook.com/LH151

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 05:03 am   Permalink

UGH!!! Let the LH151 rationing begin. So will the Mai-Kai survive until 2015???

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 09:11 am   Permalink

NOOOOOOO

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-27 09:43 am   Permalink

The question was asked why that decision was made:

"Supply problem with raw materials? Distillery being upgraded? Having labor problems? Desire to drive the price up? To allow them to start aging it longer -- and this was the best way to get that process started?"

We'll have to wait and see if any kind of response gets posted. I am very curious.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 2:18 pm   Permalink

Already bought 2. Hoarded!

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-27 5:59 pm   Permalink

That is horrible! I am going to go grab some now...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-27 7:14 pm   Permalink

Sorry guys, San Diego is out. I grabbed the last bottle at Trader Morts and asked if they had more. They checked the back and this was the only bottle. So I have 2 1/4 bottles, hope I can find more. I will post if Morts gets more.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 12:46 am   Permalink

I would hope there's enough in the pipeline that it won't dry up immediately, but stocking up now is probably a wise move.

Beyond my own selfish interests, I too am worried about all the bars out there that have gotten used to having it widely available for the past several years. The timing couldn't be worse for Beachbum Berry. I'm sure this will be a hot topic of conversation at The Hukilau in a couple weeks.

The Mai-Kai will be able to adapt, as they have for 58 years. They can always revert back to the previous recipes, but that would not be ideal. I'm hoping great minds like Martin Cate are able to come up with some good alternatives.

The mention of another overproof rum "that will work in many of the cocktails you love" is somewhat encouraging. I'm also wondering if this affects the product worldwide, or just in the U.S.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 09:00 am   Permalink

So what's the substitution for Lemon Hart 151? I know El Dorado 151 isn't the same, but its not Bacardi 151 either...

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 12:46 pm   Permalink

So begins the 3rd Lemon Hart Hunger Games!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 12:49 pm   Permalink

May the Lemon Hart always flow in your favor...

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-28 12:55 pm   Permalink

I'll join in the craziness....

This is driving me nuts. TICK TOCK!

Sorry...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-28 1:47 pm   Permalink

This just kills me after what I went through to get just ONE liquor store within 35 miles of me to carry it!

Does anybody know why they're doing this?

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 7:40 pm   Permalink

Plantation Dark 151 is a great alternative. It's definitely not Lemon Hart, but it works. Goslings 151'is also usable, but harder to find. The Mai Kai was using that during the last drought.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-29 01:22 am   Permalink

Some interesting discussion on the Global Rum Club Facebook group. Someone suggested mixing the Plantation 151 with a smoky dark rum. I'm thinking one of the aged El Dorado rums. But anything added to the 151 is going to bring the proof down.

And Tiare suggested a mix of Lost Spirits Navy Style and El Dorado 15. This might come very close taste-wise. I just sampled Lost Spirits at the Miami Rum Festival, and it's great. But at 136 proof, it's not going to have the same firepower when mixed with ED 15.

There was also mention of Tiki Lover's Dark Rum, but I think that's just 114 proof.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation