FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Lemon Hart question
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 07:08 am   Permalink

I do think that in general, any drink calling for 151 Demerara can be subbed with 80 proof and it'll just fine, maybe better.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-24 07:08, Swanky wrote:
I do think that in general, any drink calling for 151 Demerara can be subbed with 80 proof and it'll just fine, maybe better.

Agreed.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-24 07:08, Swanky wrote:

That sounds like a someone sitting on a couple of cases of LH 151 trying to convince the rest of us that the impending apocalypse really won't be so bad.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-24 08:34 am   Permalink

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the LH151 crisis is causing me to branch out and try new things I've never bought before.

I have a buddy coming over tonight who will help me with some taste tests of the new stuff I've recently bought. He gets free booze and I get more data to store in my brain and to share with others.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 11:58 am   Permalink

Did someone say free booze!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-24 12:28 pm   Permalink

Yessir, but he has to work for it with tasting ratings and impressions.

Still not a bad gig though, huh?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 12:34 pm   Permalink

I'll invite you guys over for free booze. As long as you're not too weird.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MyTiki

Posted: 2014-07-25 04:17 am   Permalink

Maybe this information has already been posted in this thread, but I saw lots of confusion and guesses about the Lemon Hart 151 supply break. I spoke to a rep at Mosaiq last week about it, and it was as simple as this:

Nothing is changing with the product. They are just moving the bottling factory from Newfoundland to Montreal. They expect to have it back in the supply chain next summer.

That was it.

I also picked up some El Dorado 151. As mentioned already, it's not even remotely like the Lemon Hart 151.
Oh, and Lemon Hart Premium (80 Proof), and Lemon Hart Navy Spiced (86 Proof) are available in British Columbia.

[ This Message was edited by: MyTiki 2014-07-25 12:00 ]

View Profile of MyTiki Send a personal message to MyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 06:39 am   Permalink

MyTiki, thanks for that info, I'm sure everyone finds that intriguing. Nice first post on TC for you, by the way. Please consider going to the "new members introduction" thread and introduce yourself.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 06:50 am   Permalink

Here are my Lemon Hart 151 and Gosling's 151 tasting results from last night's informal "Liver Games" at my home bar:

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-25 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-25 06:50, AceExplorer wrote:
Here are my Lemon Hart 151 and Gosling's 151 tasting results from last night's informal "Liver Games" at my home bar:

What cocktail did you try it with? Swizzle?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 10:13 am   Permalink

Nope, all we had time for was to taste and study the two 151 rums diluted 1:1 with pure water. (We did the same for a couple other rums last night, therefore the "Liver Games" moniker was coined as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the recent "Hunger Games" movies. Drink or die, right? ha...)

I made a comment at the end of my notes that we MUST try the rums in a cocktail in order to continue and finish the comparison process. Your suggestion, the 151 Swizzle, seems to be a very good choice and it didn't come to mind.

Both rums must be mixed to see how they stand up. I don't expect the Gosling's to be crappy, just different. I'm looking to see how well it compares to LH151 and I'm not expecting a clone. My theory is that those who have little or no LH151 will likely find themselves in a hurry with guests and will be unwilling or unable to take the time to carefully prepare some sort of mixture of rums which closely approach LH151. So this is sort of a "service to mankind," heh.

So the question for me is whether the Gosling's/Lemon Hart difference is worth worrying about when I have guests at my bar. And if the difference is not a great big difference, then why sweat it when, for the time being, I can just have some playful fun with it until the supply is restored?

While I generally like the purist approach to the accuracy of my historical cocktails, I bought up enough LH151 to last me about two years. And I'm enjoying the experience of tinkering with Gosling's and making comparisons as opposed to staying in a rut. This is a big part of the joy of operating a good home bar.

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 1:54 pm   Permalink

Good Goslings 151 / LH151 comparison AceExplorer! I agree with your assertion that (in light of the LH151 shortage) trying out alternatives to LH151 is part of the fun of having a home bar - I would compare it to trying out new mai tai combos (even if you've got your favorite combo, you've got to try a new one!)

Let me tell you where I found Goslings 151 to be successful:

I have been comparing LH151 / Bacardi 151 / Plantation Overproof / Goslings 151 in the Simplified Zombie from Remixed. I add Pernod & angostura bitters, I'm using Appleton 12 as dark jamaican. I also mix it like a 1934 Zombie instead of shaking it (ie blend approx half the ice & top up with crushed ice).

Goslings 151 makes a better drink than all the others IMO (including LH151).

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 2:43 pm   Permalink

The last time we all went through this, what I ended up doing was using Goslings 151 or Bacardi 151 for the 151 "kick" part of the drink and then using El Dorado 12 and Kohala Bay Jamaican. It was by no means perfect, but I got the 151 knock-down, a nice Demerara flavor and a good funky Jamaican mixed in. For me at least, it turned out to be a good substitute. It was either that or...... do without. Me no like do without!

GENT

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2014-07-25 15:00 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-31 12:16 pm   Permalink

Looks like the drinkupny.com free shipping for orders over $200 is only for the east coast. Ground to California is $29.99, so that adds a bit to your order.

EDIT: shipping depends on how many bottles you purchase. I ended up with 7, so it was $27.99.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2014-08-05 17:58 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation