FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Lemon Hart question
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 06:56 am   Permalink

Ouch, the bastards!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 08:52 am   Permalink

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-04 10:33 am   Permalink

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 11:50 am   Permalink

Ronald Searle cartoons for an old Lemon Hart ad campaign. . . Cool! Searle was a British cartoonist but he had a big influence on several American cartoonists, includin the lead animators on 101 Dalmations. He also influenced young John Lennon's cartooning style (see "In His own Write" and "Spaniard in the Works").

Some of these old ads would look really nice as (non-Tiki) bar decorations.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-06-04 11:50 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-04 12:41 pm   Permalink

Yes, Sunny, and there are quite a few more of those online if you do a Google image search for Lemon Hart. It looks like it was a very cool ad campaign back decades ago. The Lemon Hart name seems to have had much greater prominence then, and may have faded from all but the most persistent of memories.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 1:18 pm   Permalink

And if I recall correctly from old posts on the Ministry of Rum, back in the day there were Jamaican bottlings as well as the now more familiar Guyanese bottlings that bore the Lemon Hart brand. I wonder whether the bulk of the product being pitched in that old British ad campaign wasn't Jamaican and not Demerara. I'. sure the Jamaican stuff was quite excellent too.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 5:17 pm   Permalink

I love the Searle ads as well, not to mention that it's a JOLLY GOOD RUM as well!

Regarding the Jamaican Lemon Hart, here's a very old label. It's great stuff too, but very hard to find!

[ This Message was edited by: A Frame 2014-06-04 17:23 ]

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 08:00 am   Permalink

I stiil haven't heard why production is stopping. My assumption is that LH151 has been using too much distillate and taking up too much space in the barrel warehouses and other more mainstream Demerara Distillers products have been getting short shrift, but I am just speculating.

Was drinking Puka Punches this weekend and remembering when I made that drink with a different 151 brand it never did much for me, but with LH it is superb.

I don't go through the stuff particularly fast at home, but I sure will miss it when I run out.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-08 08:00, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I don't go through the stuff particularly fast at home, but I sure will miss it when I run out.

It's surprising how many drinks call specifically for lh151.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-09 05:09 am   Permalink

I thought, back when LH151 switched to the red label, sales in the US was taken over by a fellow tikiphile specifically to ensure that the product would be available to those living in North America. Has anyone here asked Martin Cate for his take on the story? I'm certain he would be able to give an interesting and thoughtful impression of the situation.

Is Martin even on TC? I will look for him at The Hukilau later this week, he occasionally attends in Fort Lauderdale. Between me, Swanky, Hayward, and other TCers who are attending this year, one of us should be able to corner him if he's also attending. The same is true for The Bum who I know we will all be seeing in Ft. Lauderdale.

I will ask around and see what kind of new information we can gather later this week. That's one of the many benefits of attending tiki events.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-06-09 08:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-09 05:09, AceExplorer wrote:

Is Martin even on TC? ...

Yes, he is Martiki and he does occasionally check in.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47297&forum=1&start=0

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-09 09:16 am   Permalink

Great, thanks Haka. I just sent him a polite request for his insight into the situation. I think he knows the importer personally, as I recall viewing a YouTube video of both Martin and the importer doing a side-by-side taste test of the old yellow label and the newer red label when that change occurred. I can't recall who the other person was, but that video URL was posted here on TC and I can't look for it right now.

I hope to hear back from Martin soon, and if I don't, I hope to see him and The Bum in Fort Lauderdale and I'll grill 'em roving-reporter style, heh...

=====================
Rum is important stuff!

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 10:41 am   Permalink

Ed Hamilton from Ministry of Rum is the importer. He should be cannonized as one of the patron saints of rum. When this story broke it was Ed who conveyed that the distiller was halting production at least until next March, but he gave no indication as to why.

Martin was trying to sell his Hukilau passes and Beachbum symposium tickets on FB a little while back so it sounds like his plans to attend this year went up in smoke.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-09 10:47 am   Permalink

Folks, I can share the following thoughts from, and with thanks to, Martin Cate:

"I wish I understood the reasons to stop the production. I think it has to do with wanting to really feel how much demand there is. I think it's a big mistake.

The plan is to restart production and return to the US with a new importer sometime in mid to late 2015. So I do believe it will return. I think they are trying a larger importer with more pull in the hope that it can grow into a much larger brand, but I think their goals for it may be too lofty.

Martin acknowledged that it wasn't much additional information for us, but I think it underscores that he is also very hopeful that the product will return bigger and stronger in the future.

Have you been saving those old "yellow label" Lemon Hart bottles? Well, I think we should think ahead and start saving our "red label" Lemon Hart bottles now too. I'm going to go out on a not-too-risky limb by forecasting another label design change when the product is brought back in its next incarnation.

====================
Fun, fun, fun 'til Daddy took the Lemon Hart away.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-09 10:53 am   Permalink

On 2014-06-09 10:41, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Ed Hamilton from Ministry of Rum is the importer. He should be cannonized as one of the patron saints of rum. When this story broke it was Ed who conveyed that the distiller was halting production at least until next March, but he gave no indication as to why.

Martin was trying to sell his Hukilau passes and Beachbum symposium tickets on FB a little while back so it sounds like his plans to attend this year went up in smoke.

Cannonized? That sounds painful! Can't we canonize him instead?

Ok, that's awesome, you found the name I couldn't get the time to search for, thanks!

Martin mentioned in his reply that he will be attending Hukilau this year, so his schedule must have opened up. Good info though, thanks.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation