[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki a cement garage floor question
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
a cement garage floor question
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 10:56 am   Permalink

hey all, just moved into a new house and the garage floor has some serious fault lines running through it! is there a recommended epoxy or some kind of quick fix I can purchase? wanna turn this space into another tiki area and possibly paint the floor, should I maybe leave it as is to enhance the look? photos coming, thanking you in advance,
pele paul

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 12:03 pm   Permalink

here are the cracks...........

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-09 1:01 pm   Permalink

Paul they sell a crack patch in the home improvement stores but I have never tried it. I think it has a high percentage of acrylic or some other plastic to give it a bit of flexibility. Should be perfect if you are planning on putting epoxy paint over it.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-04-09 1:01 pm   Permalink

We have a hardware store in Boulder, Colorado that touts itself as the world's largest: McGuckin Hardware. I like to browse it to see what's available, and I know I've seen some flexible cement "glue" that would work. You might call them and see if they can give you a brand name (the staff is very knowledgable). https://store.mcguckin.com/inet/home.html

Although I'd imagine the first step is correcting whatever caused the cracks in the first place!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-04-09 13:02 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-09 1:12 pm   Permalink

Cement Crack Central?

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 1:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-09 13:01, TikiTacky wrote:

Although I'd imagine the first step is correcting whatever caused the cracks in the first place!

Considering location, and depending on the age of the property, the two likely scenarios are that it was a quake or there is no rebar under the garage floor and it was simply poured extra thick which leads to cracks like that. Many people blame quakes for their cracked pavement and whatnot but it is the lack of support that causes real problems.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 2:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-09 13:47, wizzard419 wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-04-09 13:01, TikiTacky wrote:

Considering location, and depending on the age of the property, the two likely scenarios are that it was a quake or there is no rebar under the garage floor and it was simply poured extra thick which leads to cracks like that. Many people blame quakes for their cracked pavement and whatnot but it is the lack of support that causes real problems.

yep, that was it, poured in 1958 without re-bar and poured extra thick! I had an inspector come out, and he said other than an ugly appearance, everything looked structurally sound! so now, to look up all the good info you all have given me, thanks all!!!

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-09 2:22 pm   Permalink

Also anytime you pour a slab too big, it always cracks. I am not a contractor, but I was told that by my friend, although I don't recall the maximum size. It could have just been poured too big and cracked. You can refinish the whole floor easily with products from Home Depot. I am not sure if it will crack again though or not. I just laid down fake grass in my whole bar and it covers up all the concrete.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43736&forum=20&90

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 4:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-09 14:22, lunavideogames wrote:
Also anytime you pour a slab too big, it always cracks. I am not a contractor, but I was told that by my friend, although I don't recall the maximum size. It could have just been poured too big and cracked. You can refinish the whole floor easily with products from Home Depot. I am not sure if it will crack again though or not. I just laid down fake grass in my whole bar and it covers up all the concrete.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43736&forum=20&90

great!! good to know!!! any idea if the fake grass gets hot outside in the sun? thanks so much

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-09 5:34 pm   Permalink

No fake grass does great in the harsh sunlight. Here in San Diego, I would estimate 30% of the lawns near me are fake and look great for years.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 5:49 pm   Permalink

ok great to know!!!! water out here gets pretty pricey so I was wondering how it holds up! thanks for the info

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 6:12 pm   Permalink

If it's going to be outdoors at all, just double check with your city in regards to the fake grass. Some cities require a permit.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-09 7:06 pm   Permalink

I was going to put it in the backyard

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-09 7:23 pm   Permalink

Sorry to hear you have a crack problem....snicker snicker.

Once you apply the crack fixer...maybe you can paint your floor in a marble like appearance to incorporate the repair texture. They also have those neat epoxy kits that have chips in them to look like terrazzo. Look forward to what you do.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-09 7:31 pm   Permalink

I don't think you will need any permits in SoCal, I know you don't need a permit in SD. I will try to upload a picture of my neighbors house soon so you can see what they did. I think it looks really nice.

Congrats on the new place!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation