FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Space/Alien/Robot Tiki Art Swap
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Space/Alien/Robot Tiki Art Swap
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 12:03 am   Permalink

MDM, awesome- big giant glowing eyeballs sound great. Lighting effects even better. If only my throwing skills were better, have you heard of those artists who throw porcelain so thin it's slightly transparent? Google "translucent Porcelain" for some cool art work

Woodtiki, looks great.

Zero, you're on fire!

cy, love George Jetson w/ a fez.

This Swap is taking off like a second stage rocket. Er, or something like that.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-24 07:31 am   Permalink

Yes TikiAno I have seen that transluscent porcelain effect, very cool. As I remember it needs to be thrown very thin and fired at ^10. My little kiln is doing good to reach ^04

Cy, I missed the fez Damn, that's a GIANT fishing float lamp!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 07:40 am   Permalink

Mike, was just wondering....instead of throwing the porcelain, could you not make a mold of the porcelian pieces you will need and use porcelain slip to cast them and fire them separate before attching to the mug? Just a thought. I have never down either but I know the porcelain pieces I used to china paint were molded and made with slip.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-24 09:40 am   Permalink

Dale, it's usually difficult to attach fired pieces to wet clay since the fired is already shrunk and the wet will shrink as it dries and fires. But I think VanTiki is using fired porcelain teeth in wet paperclay so maybe it could work?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-24 7:11 pm   Permalink

Woodtiki--great sketches. Lookin good!

Mad Dog--you're a genius. That is going to be out of this world

Cy--I was hoping someone would bring the Jetsons into it

I will try to snap a pic of mine in progress tomorrow.

If everyone could send me a pm with their email address and I will start a list to send info out.

Great job everyone!

tu

View Profile of TU Send a personal message to TU      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-25 10:09 am   Permalink

Woodtiki--great sketches. Lookin good!

Mad Dog--you're a genius. That is going to be out of this world

Cy--I was hoping someone would bring the Jetsons into it

I just couldn't say it better, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-25 10:44 am   Permalink

Here is the sketch and the painting so far.

Still not sure where to put the plastic flamingo. It just wouldn't be an original "tu" without a flamingo.

tu

View Profile of TU Send a personal message to TU      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-25 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-24 00:03, TikiAno wrote:

Zero, you're on fire!

OW! OW! OW!

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-26 07:38 am   Permalink

Great start TU!

Turns out it is more difficult to find green glowsticks that I thought! Not at Big 5, Pep Boys, Target, Dollar Tree. My DoItCenter hardware has yellow but not green. And WalMart has a 2 pack with one green and one yellow. Don't want to buy a bunch of those and throw out all the yellows Guess it's Amazon Prime then?

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-26 4:19 pm   Permalink

Go guys go

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-26 10:41 pm   Permalink

Mike, Party City should have glow sticks (I think).

I haven't yet thrown any porcelain, and throwing thinner walls is NOT my forte.

I suppose you could cast a very, very thin porcelain piece, but since it's pretty fragile to work with when it's so thin it would be tough to alter.

TU, looks great. cy, awesome (of course).

Can't wait to see more.... Including getting started working on my own!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 11:44 am   Permalink

Already this is so cool! Lots of fantastic space tiki goodness - WooHOO!
Aaaand....Progress!

New super secret goodies already in progress.... but a secret!
~Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-28 2:22 pm   Permalink

You were right TikiAno, glow sticks at Party City. While I was there I picked up some nice plastic tikis to replace all the tacky palm and ceramic ones I had

Lookin' good Zero

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 5:44 pm   Permalink

Everyone's projects are looking great! I would have liked to jump in, but I think my platter is a little too full right now. I look forwards to seeing all of them completed!

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2014-04-28 17:44 ]

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-28 7:35 pm   Permalink

Mike-your sketch is looking good

Zero-I like the progress!

Tigertail-your presence is missed. I have the swap piece from you on display until I build an inside tiki bar some day

Thanks again for joining everyone!

tu

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation