FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki and healthy—never the twain shall meet?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki and healthy—never the twain shall meet?
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-04-14 8:08 pm   Permalink

A conversation with my wife led to a little research. It turns out every time you drink a Mai Tai, you're downing the caloric equivalent of almost two cans of Coke. A Zombie is on the order of 350 calories. For comparison, a Big Mac has 560 calories.

Ugh!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-14 10:14 pm   Permalink

The average 50 year old sedentary male is allowed 2200 calories a day. That is 6 Zombies if you don't squander any of your calories on crap like broccoli or Brussels sprouts.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-14 10:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-14 20:08, TikiTacky wrote:
A conversation with my wife led to a little research. It turns out every time you drink a Mai Tai, you're downing the caloric equivalent of almost two cans of Coke. A Zombie is on the order of 350 calories. For comparison, a Big Mac has 560 calories.

Ugh!

So what’s your point?
Cheers : )

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-04-14 22:18 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-14 10:24 pm   Permalink

Which is why I am on a diet of the lower calorie "Old Fashioned"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 06:29 am   Permalink

Actually, I watch everything I consume carefully and 2 of the drinks in the DtB arsenal that are the least harmful are the Navy Grog and 151 Swizzle.

Calories are not your problem. All calories are not equal. Think carbs instead and you'll see that the Zombie is fairly low carb. The Navy Grog gets some from the honey, but I have a sugar free honey that works well.

Lime juice is maybe 2.5 carbs per ounce, but most think it is carb neutral due to its nature. I include the lime in the calculations here anyway.

By my calculations:

Drink / Carbs
Zombie / 8
Navy Grog / 4
Test Pilot / 7
2070 Swizzle / 6
Jet Pilot / 4.5
Rum Barrel / 12-13
Outrigger / 8
Jasper's Jamaican / 3
Nui Nui / 7
Black Magic / 6
151 Swizzle / 1

As a nice reward, any of these works for me.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2014-04-15 06:30 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 11:21 am   Permalink

Where does a TV Mai Tai fall out on your carb tally Swanky?

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-04-15 3:43 pm   Permalink

Swanky,

If you're more focused on carbs you may be familiar with Gary Taubes research. He's author of "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and has done some amazing research into the current state of dietary medicine. Other scientists are starting to back up his research (which was primarily based on hundreds of studies that had already been done). Taubes argues that the real culprit in weight gain and related health issues is Insulin response, and that sweeteners—even artificial sweeteners—along with simple carbohydrates cause spikes in Insulin and cause many of the problems we see.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-16 05:34 am   Permalink

We have been living a low carb life for a couple of years now. I'm at about 172 down from about 200. My wife has lost something like 40 pounds. Slow and steady.

I realized last night my carb counts may be based on using a sugar free syrup. That 151 Swizzle is not right when using simple syrup for sure...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-16 05:54 am   Permalink

So you could say he's not fat but Insulin response Challenged.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-07-16 09:42 am   Permalink

Apparently some distillers have started adding sugar to their rums: http://thefloatingrumshack.com/content/index.php/168-talking-rum-and-sugar-with-richard-seale

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 10:32 am   Permalink

This has always been the case. Rum is one of the most adulterated spirits you can buy.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-07-16 11:00 am   Permalink

Yes, but the numbers appear to be increasing. One type had 41 grams of sugar per liter!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-16 11:30 am   Permalink

I have found that the flavored rums are the most sweet of all. I'm using up some Cruzan Black Cherry rum which was gifted to me, it's very sweet - I've compared it head-to-head against some low-end gold and silver rums in the same test mixes.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 1:39 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure it's possible to say this trend is increasing, since we don't know who is now or was previously adding sugar to their rums. Per the TTB's regulations, rum (in the U.S.) can include up to 2.5% by volume sugar or other customary additives (caramel coloring, etc.). It would be nice to see this info disclosed, but it seems unlikely.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-07-16 1:46 pm   Permalink

Someone else disclosed some of it for us: http://www.alcademics.com/2014/01/why-add-sugar-to-rum-when-its-made-from-sugar-in-the-first-place.html

Also, it's Diplomatico Exclusivo rum (not a flavored rum) that has 41 grams of sugar.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation