FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Drinks and Food ╗ ╗ Tiki and healthyŚnever the twain shall meet?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki and healthyŚnever the twain shall meet?
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 2:27 pm   Permalink

Here's a direct link to the list. Very interesting!

http://www.refinedvices.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=485&p=2515#p2515

Assuming these values are accurate -- and I think we have to take them with a grain of salt -- it's interesting to compare the different rums.

El Dorado 12 -- notorious for being sweetened (and delicious!) -- is reported to have 45 grams of sugar per liter of spirit. That would be 33.75 grams for a 750ml bottle -- or just over 8 teaspoons of sugar in a bottle.

That would seem to exceed the TTB's regulations by over 100%. But are they really paying attention to rum?

God help me, but it tastes good...

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-16 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-16 14:27, djmont wrote:
God help me, but it tastes good...

Which of course is why they're doing it! In tests, people found that rum with sugar added was judged as both more aged and higher quality.

Let's face it, rum isn't a health drink, and if you down a liter at a time you've got more to worry about than how much sugar is in it. I just wonder whether this is going to become more of a problem as rum manufacturers find they can increase sales and reviews by simply adding sugar. Hell, why wouldn't they?

Coming Soon: Carbonated Rum Soda! With Moxie!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 4:08 pm   Permalink

Very good point.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sixx
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-16 8:42 pm   Permalink

The day I become a health nut is the day I open up my wrists. It's okay to want to drink something that tastes good when you're chugging booze. There's nothing that needs to be corrected.

View Profile of Sixx Send a personal message to Sixx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-17 06:53 am   Permalink

Good points, flavor is very important. So is moderation, and that reminds me...

"Nothing in moderation!" --Ernie Kovacs

And Ernie, as poet "Percy Dovetonsils," with cocktail in hand:

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sixx
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-17 12:02 pm   Permalink

It just gets to me when people start talking about sugar like it's arsenic. But this is the current belittling discourse that resulted in a politician from New York City trying to ban salt for the entire city. Yes salt. Not even a hamburger would taste good without salt. Everything would suddenly be gruel pretty much. There's a simple solution to this problem. Those people in question who dwell on such things stop drinking Mai Tais. However, that's kind of like a more adult approach to the problem. Historically, some Americans like pushing their preferences on everyone else, thus prohibition, which gave us the gift of organized crime.

View Profile of Sixx Send a personal message to Sixx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 12:12 pm   Permalink

If we were to shift fully towards universal healthcare (single payer), where your tax dollars funded health and wellness, would you feel the same about the government placing limits on how much sugar/salt/fat is in a single serving of a pre-packaged processed food?

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sixx
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-17 12:24 pm   Permalink

It's not the government's place to babysit its citizens. It's called freedom of choice. What you're suggesting is a total perversion of liberal ideals. Really, health nuts are SO annoying. Especially political ones. They literally think everyone but them is too stupid to make their own decisions. They remind of when I was in school and they would have those constantly smiling grown ups come and sing and dance about how abstinence is cool. No, it's not cool. You're just a fun hating tool bag. I voted for Obama twice, but it's stuff like that that you just posted that makes me wish there was a better second alternative to jump ship to. I can't really stand being associated with that kind of quasi-communist ideology as a Democratic voter.

Edit: BTW, if sugar is removed from "pre-processed foods," I'm sure it won't be long before you can't buy it as an ingredient at all. Good job, you just destroyed the entire food culture this website is based around.

[ This Message was edited by: Sixx 2014-07-17 13:01 ]

AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-07-17 2:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-17 12:24, Sixx wrote:You're just a fun hating tool bag... etc etc (bit of a political rant)

Easy hater - rule no 1 no politics, rule no 2 be polite

Quote:

On 2014-07-16 14:38, TikiTacky wrote:
Let's face it, rum isn't a health drink...

Agreed I agree with the premise of choosing 'healthier' ingredients when you can in life, but I think in cocktails you are fighting a losing battle.

I just try to make good choices when I'm not drinking

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 2:45 pm   Permalink

Best Rule on TC, No Politics!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sixx
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-17 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Easy hater - rule no 1 no politics, rule no 2 be polite

Is that how you be polite? Call people a hater for not having sugar coated opinions about proposed sugar bans on a forum for sugar/alcohol drinks?

1. The "toolbag" comment was aimed at the abstinence only dance troop.

2. I was responding to someone that asked me about politics. How come you aren't replying to them, because they posted something agreeable to you?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 3:01 pm   Permalink

To be fair, he did put a "Happy Face" at the end.
but this is why we have a "No Politics" Rule, it never ends well & is not Tiki.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-07-17 5:05 pm   Permalink

Fair comments Sixx, no offence intended. I intended it more to poke fun because I thought you were on a rant.

I didn't get you were targeting abstinence only dance troops, I'm sure they have their reasons for being 'tools', maybe they enjoyed a different lifestyle & wished to share it with you.

If 'the government' wishes to wade in & limit the 'hidden' levels of additives in food that's ok with me just as it would be ok if they didn't. It's not a policy I have seen campaigned on so my assumption is that moment toward transparency in pre prepared food just going to keep on happening no matter what. It's a marginal issue for me when deciding where to cast my vote.

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-07-17 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-17 15:01, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
To be fair, he did put a "Happy Face" at the end.
but this is why we have a "No Politics" Rule, it never ends well & is not Tiki.

Ps what he said

TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-07-17 6:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-17 12:24, Sixx wrote:
Edit: BTW, if sugar is removed from "pre-processed foods," I'm sure it won't be long before you can't buy it as an ingredient at all. Good job, you just destroyed the entire food culture this website is based around.
[ This Message was edited by: Sixx 2014-07-17 13:01 ]

That's a slippery slope argument, an example of a logical fallacy. Don't do that.

Personally, my belief is people should be able to do whatever they want with their own bodies as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. The key there is the not hurting anyone else. In this case, I don't see how drinking rum with sugar in it hurts anyone. But in order for people to be responsible for their actions they need to be informed, and no one lists ingredients for alcohol. And apparently in this case they're not even obeying the lawsŚalthough that's another point.

I guess there's nothing technically wrong with putting sugar in rum. Heck, it's way less added sugar per ounce than Coke. I think what bugs me is the feeling that companies constantly degrade their products to sell more, and for some reason this feels like that. I'm tired of products that used to be good turning to shit, and then every other company following in a race to compete. Levi's jeans used to last for many years. Now you'll be lucky of the denim isn't worn through in a year, maybe two. But the cost certainly didn't come down. Now, to find a pair of jeans that isn't disposable crap, you have to spend hundreds of dollars to import them from Europe or Japan.

Sorry, that hit my hot button. Anyway, this has nothing to do with Obama, or liberals, or conspiracies. OK, maybe conspiracies. But keep the damn politics to yourselves!

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go add sugar to some Bacardi and sell it as aged Rhum Agricole.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation