[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Tiki Torture Bamboo Bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Torture Bamboo Bar
IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-14 10:35 pm   Permalink

Hello! I have always wanted my own Tiki Bar and have been following Tiki and collecting mugs for about fourteen years now. My Wife and I were able to buy a house in the Bay Area about a year ago, and my dream of a Tiki Bar got that much closer. It's a three bedroom house, and since we don't have kids, my Wife got one room and I got the other; to do whatever we wanted! Being that we just bought the house, we had no money to build though. I had to convince my Wife to let me build if I could source most of the materials for free, or very little cost. I harvested and cut all the bamboo myself; talk about a lot of work! The most expensive part of the build were the screws!

The bar top is a reclaimed, very old, fence. It was being thrown out and I took it all, then sorted out the best, coolest pieces. I only lightly sanded it to remove any potential splinters, but left the patina, then sealed it.

The fish tank was free too; I resealed it with fresh silicone. The lava rock bottom was free too!

Tiki Torture Bamboo Bar also doubles as my workstation. I built a desk behind the bar that house my Dell pro series computer and dual Dell monitors.

The Bar isn't complete; I have not finished the back bar shelving, and I am also installing an in-wall saltwater tank between the bar and family room; you will be able to see thru to the other room!

I hope you enjoy and keep in mind, it isn't pro grade, it was done for very little money out of pocket.

I built a small shelf to hold all the power plugs for the fish tank equipment.

I have more mugs, but here are some examples.

This is a vintage fish lamp with a REAL vintage 3-tier shade; the shade is worth triple what the ceramic lamp is worth, and it was lovingly given to us by some very close Family friends!

My real and beautiful Japanese, hand-forged, Sword. I did not put reed on this wall because this is the location of the near future in-wall saltwater tank. I am still debating between an Octopus, or Sharks!

A little dark and blurry, but this is my workstation.

View Profile of IDoVoodoo Send a personal message to IDoVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 03:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-14 22:35, IDoVoodoo wrote:
I harvested and cut all the bamboo myself; talk about a lot of work!

Couldn't agree more.

Really like the speakers hidden behind the bamboo on the bar front.

The rest looks great so far and recycling good second-hand materials is an activity
very close to my own heart, well done mate.

p.s. Go the Sharks!!

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-04-15 03:14 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-15 07:56 am   Permalink

Thank you for the kind words! I know I need some more custom Tiki elements, like some carved wall treatments, or some matting along the bottom instead of my walls just being all reed. I am hoping to do some router work; after buying a router that is. My style and "things" aren't pure Tiki; my Wife and I love Mexican Dia de Los Muertos Art and figures, so there is a little different feel to it.

And I wish I had burnt the joints of the bamboo. Oh well, live and learn.

View Profile of IDoVoodoo Send a personal message to IDoVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 08:17 am   Permalink

I think it looks great and has a nice feel to it. Love the elevated fishtank. Haven't seen that done before.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 08:34 am   Permalink

I like the look of the plain bamboo, besides,
the more detail you add the less people will notice the finish on the bamboo.

Router work is fine too but you can get some good effects from painting etc.
and the same applies, the more things there are to draw your attention the less
you will notice the smaller details.

For example, the fish tank together with it's pillared stand are such a striking combination
the eye is drawn to it and not the computer screens behind it.

Now that you're on the hunt for more, I'd be willing to bet that more will present itself.

Best of luck !!

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 08:46 am   Permalink

wow, very very cool!!!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 08:49 am   Permalink

MacGyver would be very proud of what you've done and I think the "Professor" would be too!

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 09:38 am   Permalink

Nice job!

However... Id be a bit concerned with that tank above my head, living near a fault line. Id put in some lateral supports. Just my 2 cents

Looks good tho. cheers

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 09:57 am   Permalink

Really great job you have done so far.

My only suggestion is perhaps keep an eye out for more comfy bar stools -Those square corners may start to make one's backside ache

Love the fish tank also.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-15 1:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks again for the reassurance on the direction I took it! I see some bars on here and I say WOW out loud! I feel I have a ways to go compared to them!

And to quickly address the fish tank support concerns: rest assured, the whole tank is supported by Simpson brand strong ties to the base, AND four posts to the ceiling as well! You can't see them from the front, but you can from behind the bar. It truly isn't going anywhere; water will definitely fly out in an earthquake though, lol!

I definitely want to explore some cool hanging lamps on here, thanks for the suggestion!

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-15 9:55 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC...you are doing a great job. Putting speakers in the bar front is a neat idea. I love your puffer fish lamp!!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-16 12:49 am   Permalink

Thanks again!

The one thing that is really bothering me are the WHITE blinds. They are directly behind the bar; I need help. Do I spray paint them brown? Should I buy a more tropical set? Should I try making some basic ones from bamboo and/or reed? Help!!!

And... If anyone in the Bay Area has a jackhammer I could use for a day, I really want to get started on my tropical backyard, which includes a 8'x35' (possibly) sized pond/stream. I have some concrete in the way and I really don't want to swing a sledge. Thanks!

IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-16 01:34 am   Permalink

Here's a pic of the upper supports of the fish tank, screwed to the ceiling, as viewed from behind the bar.

This is one of the tower speakers, installed behind the bar, firing forward. They are quality Celestion towers, and get real loud!

I have 4 color changing LED lights mounted under the fish tank, lightly illuminating the bar.

IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-16 02:01 am   Permalink

So, my gorgeous, young Wife surprised me for my 36th Birthday with a trip to Disneyland, which included Trader Sam's! I had a blast, and also picked up six mugs there; four first editions, and two duplicates that I can actually use! I also had the great pleasure of meeting one of the original Don the Beachcombers bartenders, Mike. Now, I know Mike is on here, but I can't remember his username. If you know it, please PM me, I would love to connect with him on here! Thanks!

Here are some pics!

Frank approves.

IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-18 7:08 pm   Permalink

So, I see these super amazing bars on here, and I am motivated. I just picked up a plunge router. 2hp, variable speed, 1/4 and 1/2 collets.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation